Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM

18,474 posts, read 19,123,204 times

Advertisements

If you get the puppy make sure when the old dog gets tired of it jumping around and biting and playing with it that the old dog can get away and rest from the puppy. Puppies have a lot of energy and just like having a baby you need a break as well you’re older dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 01:19 PM

2,843 posts, read 3,221,918 times
I had an older spayed female Aussie mix who I called my "mother superior" dog. She trained two Aussie puppies how to behave, often just by going over and looking at them with disappointment when they misbehaved. I really missed her help when I got my youngest one now.
She was very well-behaved before I got the puppies.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:57 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,626,437 times
I have always had 2 and when I know one is old or has health issues so maybe 2 years or less left I add a new one. They always help train the new dog or puppy and it really does help. Puppy Chaos was housetrained within days because of the older dogs. I also like the fact that the old dog gets to know the new one and sometimes feel that the old one hangs on until it feels certain that me and the remaining dog will be fine with the newest one.

When Dash had nasal cancer I got Dazzle and he loved puppy sitting it seemed to give him a reason to hang on and perked him up. Due to the cancer everyone told me not to add a new dog while Dash was alive but I am so glad I did as it gave him so much enjoyment. My other dog Jazz did not really like Dazzle until after Dash died and I think she missed him and decided this new pup was not so bad after all.

Currently I have Chaos who is 8 and Dazzle who will be 11 in Aug. Dazzle has Osteosarcoma in his hip. I am considering adding a new pup if the right one comes along but may not as I do not want Dazzle playing and breaking that weakened hip and he so wants to play with other dogs even with the cancer. Being a sighthound he does fast spins and other movements and that could lead to a broken hip. If the right pup came along I would just make sure to control play around Dazzle. It is sad because he LOVES puppies and would be a great teacher.

But yeah I am all in favor of adding a puppy or new adult dog when a dog is old. And yes it does help to already have a relationship with a new dog before a old one passes at least it helps me.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:01 PM

8,143 posts, read 12,895,993 times
I have a 12 y/o lab mix and her friend died last year. She was seriously depressed and anxious . I hadn't planned on a new pup but there was a situation where some pups needed a home in my neighborhood, so I took one in.

At first "Lucy" was standoffish and I didn't think it was going to work out. Now she is wagging her tail much more than she did before and seems to have taken an interest in the new pup. As long as I limit the "puppy B.S." around Lucy she seems happy to have the company.

Your mileage may vary but adding a new pup has done wonders for my old girl.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:47 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,864,272 times
I posted this before some time ago.

Will post again.

I knew someone (friends) who had 2 goldens. The female who was a few years older died.

The male, companion, was so sad and he gazed across the yard as if watching for her.

They got a lab puppy who was rambunctious and he did torment the old dog, but the old dog seemed to have a new purpose in life. He was like the grandfather or something. I kid you not
Once grandpa died, young dog was lonely and they had to get him a friend. That solved the issue for the moment.

If your dog is an only dog, not sure how that will go as sometimes they are not receptive to sharing their people.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,413,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
my dog is entering her last 1-3 years. What are the thoughts on a new pup now or wait until the current's passing?

My thinking is that the previous generation may help train the new?

what are the thoughts on training a new pup with or without a resident dog? Housbreaking, etc

What effect will it have on my current dog?

I am also thinking of myself. I will be devastated when she is gone, her successor already there may really help me.

Anyone's thoughts based on personal experiences would be very helpful.

We just lost our 15 year old , most special , smart , obedient rottweiler and
the loss is very painful.
In the past we have always had two dogs at a time
and the loss is not felt as hard because second dog is there to relieve the pain.
This time we will wait as long as we can before we get another pup because we
want to travel guilt free for a while but the house is extremely empty without a dog.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:12 PM

5,104 posts, read 12,626,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
We just lost our 15 year old , most special , smart , obedient rottweiler and
the loss is very painful.
In the past we have always had two dogs at a time
and the loss is not felt as hard because second dog is there to relieve the pain.
This time we will wait as long as we can before we get another pup because we
want to travel guilt free for a while but the house is extremely empty without a dog.
I am so sorry for your loss. I know your dog will live on in your memories and in your heart. I can imagine the house feels too empty but can understand your wanting to do some traveling before you get a new pup. When the time is right I am sure you will find the right pup to share your home with once again. For now enjoy your travels!

Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,445,302 times
Over the decades, we kept one dog until time to put it down due to really bad health (i.e. cancer).

However, within a few months, we got the next dog. Been thru this cycle since the very early 80’s.

I dont think we would bring in a healthy, energetic dog while the current one is slowing down. Just a mis-match IMHO

Good luck with your decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs