Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 04:01 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,400,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
We don’t have dogs so I don’t know much about this. Is there any actual research that’s been done? The article looks like they’re just saying that they’ve seen a correlation and “correlation does not mean causation”.

The article says the FDA is still investigating it, so there is no "proof" but there seems to be enough evidence that they are announcing the brands most frequently linked to the problem. Thats the prudent thing to do.

“However, the FDA is first and foremost a public health agency, and takes seriously its responsibility to protect human and animal health,” the agency said in the statement. “In the case of DCM, the agency has an obligation to be transparent with the pet-owning public regarding the frequency with which certain brands have been reported.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,643,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I spoke to the breeder I got my Cairn from 4 years ago and I stand corrected. She never prescribed grain free for her puppies, that was only my vet. While it's true Cairns can have a lot of skin issues, generations of her terriers have been on Purina One. She recommended it with a supplement of dried brewer's yeast, flavored garlic and omegas. We went to her kennel several times before we came home with Cooper and her dogs were beautiful and happy.

I'm doing a gradual turnover to Purina One. It's not something I would have tried, but her word means a lot.
I have a Westie - also prone to allergies and skin issues. He's been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness for years. He's 13. I also supplement with a variety of canned food; cooked chicken, eggs. etc. But I'm not sure I will switch him at this point. His stomach is very finnicky.

The range of what food is considered 'good' has completely swung to the opposite side. It wasn't that long ago that you could be excoriated on here for feeding anthing BUT grain free.

But now ~ we're back to Science Diet and Royal Canin.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:26 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,400,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I have a Westie - also prone to allergies and skin issues. He's been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness for years. He's 13. I also supplement with a variety of canned food; cooked chicken, eggs. etc. But I'm not sure I will switch him at this point. His stomach is very finnicky.

The range of what food is considered 'good' has completely swung to the opposite side. It wasn't that long ago that you could be excoriated on here for feeding anthing BUT grain free.

But now ~ we're back to Science Diet and Royal Canin.

Never follow fads. Been feeding my dogs grain foods for 50 years so I pretty much ignored the grain-free fad and it passed me by. So did raw, and paleo and keto and vegan and...yawn...

Old 07-02-2019, 06:30 PM

2,247 posts, read 2,429,961 times
My Boston Terrier has had a few foods on that list and he's had congestive heart failure for two years now I always thought it was just genetic and part of aging... I never imagined it could have been caused by what he was eating..

Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,717,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Never follow fads. Been feeding my dogs grain foods for 50 years so I pretty much ignored the grain-free fad and it passed me by. So did raw, and paleo and keto and vegan and...yawn...

I wish I was more like you and didn't use the grain free food. But in my case, I wasn't following a fad so much as the combination of: I was told that my dog's diarrhea may be caused by wheat in her food plus an independent website that rates dog food rated the one I eventually gave my dog as one of the best/5-star/with wholesome ingredients (which also happens to be grain free). It seemed like win-win and there was no downside.

Like I said, I think the problem my dog had with wheat is either something she grew out of or never was wheat (let's put it this way, I give my dog plain whole-wheat spaghetti as a treat when I make it for myself and she loves it/has no issues with it).

You are right that there is no hard science yet that these no-grain foods are the issue. But if my vet says I don't "need" to feed grain free and there might be a connection with grain free and heart issues, why risk it when there are other good (and I might add cheaper) foods out there. Luckily, my dog is young and healthy. So maybe a couple of years of grain free didn't hurt her. It seems like, based on the numbers, the majority of dogs that eat grain free are fine.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:15 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,798,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I wish I was more like you and didn't use the grain free food. But in my case, I wasn't following a fad so much as the combination of: I was told that my dog's diarrhea may be caused by wheat in her food plus an independent website that rates dog food rated the one I eventually gave my dog as one of the best/5-star/with wholesome ingredients (which also happens to be grain free). It seemed like win-win and there was no downside.

Like I said, I think the problem my dog had with wheat is either something she grew out of or never was wheat (let's put it this way, I give my dog plain whole-wheat spaghetti as a treat when I make it for myself and she loves it/has no issues with it).

You are right that there is no hard science yet that these no-grain foods are the issue. But if my vet says I don't "need" to feed grain free and there might be a connection with grain free and heart issues, why risk it when there are other good (and I might add cheaper) foods out there. Luckily, my dog is young and healthy. So maybe a couple of years of grain free didn't hurt her. It seems like, based on the numbers, the majority of dogs that eat grain free are fine.
Was it Pet Food Advisor that you got the info from about your dog food?
I used to follow them. The. I realized it was run by a dentist and none of their claims is backed up by science. It’s feel good nonsense.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Was it Pet Food Advisor that you got the info from about your dog food?
I used to follow them. The. I realized it was run by a dentist and none of their claims is backed up by science. It’s feel good nonsense.

Yep, that's the site. Ugh, I can't believe I fell for that. I should know better.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM

My dog likes the new food recommended by my vet better. Haha. I am mixing them according to the instructions on the bag (slowly changing foods) and she picks out the old kibble and eats the new first. Then, after a while, goes back and eats the old. She's had no digestive issues either, so I think all is good with the new chicken and barley food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs