Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If it was something as large as a cat, raccoon, opossum, rat, cavity-nesting bird you'd probably be hearing it too. Depending on the structure, you might hear a very active mouse or bats. Take a walk around the outside of the house and check the eaves, stem wall, siding, etc. You might find clues.
Ok, well, if that's the case, then I won't worry that it might be a stray cat stuck in there somehow. I'm not particularly interested in checking the eaves at this time. There is a gigantic black widow that has built a really strong web under one of them - and appears to have gone ahead and created a spider baby cocoon or whatever it's called. I've tried to kill that disgusting thing multiple times, but nothing seems to phase it.

I have to kill it and that baby nest soon, though, because I am not having a house filled with baby black widows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
GHOSTS! Your place is Haunted!
lol no. That was the half joke I made to my dog - but I don't actually believe in ghosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Mosquito? Could be anything. Dogs are weird. I wouldn't let it freak you out unless it persists
Nah, no mosquitoes. Flies, bugs, mosquitoes, light reflections - these are all things that happen on a regular or somewhat regular basis. I've seen my dog with flies, mosquitoes (considering we used to live in the Everglades), various bugs, and all kinds of different lights. The only light my dog has ever reacted to is lightning, and that was when she stood at the window, on her spindly hind legs, paws on the sill, acting like Cujo because she wanted to kill that lightning.

I said that what she did is unusual. Nothing about bugs or lights are unusual. I've had my dog since 2010. When I say that this is not normal, it means it has nothing to do with a fricken bug, or lights, or anything that a dog might normally encounter.

I really think it's something in the walls - which, even if that is also something normal, it's not normal to me, it's not normal to my dog, and it's a little freaky - even if whatever it is, is harmless - like a little mouse or something. It's just creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:23 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Sometimes my dog ignores bugs, other times he follows it around obsessively. I'm going with bug, light reflection, or something small in your walls.

Sometimes really weird things will trigger Dante (Steve does not factor in, he is: Do I kill it? No? Then I will ignore it.)

He has been triggered by shadows, a plant in the wind, bugs, and the most odd? A woven hat from Thailand that has been on the wall for 3 years, all of a sudden he freaked out at it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sometimes my dog ignores bugs, other times he follows it around obsessively. I'm going with bug, light reflection, or something small in your walls.

Sometimes really weird things will trigger Dante (Steve does not factor in, he is: Do I kill it? No? Then I will ignore it.)

He has been triggered by shadows, a plant in the wind, bugs, and the most odd? A woven hat from Thailand that has been on the wall for 3 years, all of a sudden he freaked out at it.
The only problem with this bug/light insistence is that she's been doing it all day today - and there's no damn bug around. It's not light reflections. I'm amazed that people think I don't know my own dog and her behaviors after having her around for 9 years.

The way that she's acting fits with there being something in the walls.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:24 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,833,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You might have something inside the walls. Mouse maybe.
This is what I was gonna suggest. It does remind me of when my dog is looking for or following a fly. But if it’s not something visible to you, it must be something inside the walls.

I agree, a little freaky!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM

893 posts, read 511,602 times
Cute dog!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
We have birds fooling around in our rain gutters all the time and it is hard to figure out where the sound comes from. If you are used to it, you'll tune it out, but the dog won't and it will be confused. My guess it is something like that - a critter of some sort probably outside or under your house making a subtle noise the dog can't quite pin point. Might be a rat in the wall also. Give it a few days. You might look around outside your house for signs of a critter getting in or under your house.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,549,632 times
She is definitely hearing something. I would be willing to bet that you have squirrels in your walls or in the ceiling.

Another possibility is bees or a wasp nest up under your eaves. Take a look outside at the wall she is watching to see if there are any holes or insects flying in and out, especially up near where to soffit meets the outside wall.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,726 times
Another vote for hearing something. I'd call an exterminator to check for any entry signs outside. Squirrels, raccoons, and the like can make an awful mess by the time you realize they're there. I'd be kind of creeped out about a giant bee or wasp nest. Something similar happened at my daughters house and the exterminator found a hole chewed under the eaves that a squirrel was using. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,917,240 times
I'm thinking some critter in the wall. Bees, some four legged animal.

How about your neighbors who share the wall. Are they or their pets hearing anything or acting differently now?

That picture window she checks...look inside and outside under the sill (as in get down and look back up at the underside of the window sill) and around it and see if there are any openings or any debris from something digging or any stains dripping down from a tiny critter. Same around the top of the windowsill.

We have carpenter bees. Maybe she's hearing them.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Your dog looks a LOT like my dog Emilee, who I had to have put to sleep. When I saw your videos, I thought "Aww! it looks like Emilee!"

I see your dog has terrier in her. IMO, ALL terriers are a little bit squirrely. LOL My dog used to stare intently at her dog bed. There was nothing in it. Maybe a tick? Maybe a flea? I'd fluff the bed up, and I'd wash it...but she still had the same behavior.

I'M wondering if maybe your dog is hearing a low frequency hum, or maybe there's a slight vibration. Maybe your neighbors have put an appliance up against that wall that runs all the time...like a refrigerator or maybe a fan or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs