Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times

Advertisements

We gave our dog last Sunday a beef rib that was cooked on the grill. That day also coincided with us changing his food from Purina One Chicken to Purina One Lamb & Rice. Early this morning, he was barking. He has never done this at 4:30 am so H let him out and he went straight to the backyard to poop. DD said that on his walk yesterday (Tuesday) he had loose stools. Today, he was basically all watery! Our neighbor who has a golden and a beagle said it was the bone, and to just ride it out for a couple of days. We are taking him with us for a weekend to the mountains on Friday after lunch. It is a 2 hour drive. Will he be well enough by then? I feel so bad and so does H who gave him the rib. Should we really just ride it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
We gave our dog last Sunday a beef rib that was cooked on the grill. That day also coincided with us changing his food from Purina One Chicken to Purina One Lamb & Rice. Early this morning, he was barking. He has never done this at 4:30 am so H let him out and he went straight to the backyard to poop. DD said that on his walk yesterday (Tuesday) he had loose stools. Today, he was basically all watery! Our neighbor who has a golden and a beagle said it was the bone, and to just ride it out for a couple of days. We are taking him with us for a weekend to the mountains on Friday after lunch. It is a 2 hour drive. Will he be well enough by then? I feel so bad and so does H who gave him the rib. Should we really just ride it out?
Don't feed him for 24hours straight. Go to grocery store and buy some canned pumpkin. Not the pie filling, but 100% natural pumpkin, they sell it in any food store. After 24 hours, boil some rice and chicken, add table spoon of pumpkin and have your dog eat it.

Switching food drasticly will make stomach very upset. Switching food must be gradual, you need to use old food and gradually add new food to it , it should take somewhere between 2 to 3 weeks to finally switch. As far as cooked bone, bad idea. Never give cook bones to your dog. Raw is desirable, not cooked.
Keep an eye on your dog, if he doesn't improve, take him to the vet.

Next time, before doing something that you're not familiar with, please read or ask someone who might know the answer.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times
Agree with the mixture of 100% pure pumpkin, rice and boiled pieces of chicken breast to help settle the tummy. Our dogs are on a Lamb and Rice feed, but I learned long ago that one of our dogs can't handle beef. We learned this after buying those big beef bones for dogs. She had diarrhea both times we gave it to her. She had diarrhea so bad the second time, we had to take her in to the vet. That beef bone was the only change in her diet. Watch for dehydration due to the diarrhea. I think if you feed your dog this mixture you should be good by Friday. Do you have a good rappore with your vet tech to call and ask that person questions if needed?

As for the hiking. We take hiking trips regularly with our dogs. Be sure to carry a pet first aid kit with you. If you are hiking off-leash PLEASE be aware of cliffs and major drop offs along your course. If your dog starts to chase something, it could get dangerous to say the least. Also carry water for your dog. Your dog will need more water breaks than you. We also carry treats to help with our dogs energy. Just as we eat our snacks along the way so do our babies. If your dog is not accustomed to hiking, he will be sore the next day. A massage of the muscles that night will really help and your dog will love it. The rule of thumb is, watch your dog and you will know when he is tired which will prevent pushing him too hard. Be safe and have fun!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,829 times
Moderator cut: edit - orphaned
You do need to switch the food gradually, even when it's the same brand. You can also add a spoonful of the pumpkin to the dog food. And never give cooked bones. Hope your pup feels better soon.

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 04-16-2008 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The rest of the posts were very helpful. I just want to re-iterate to not give your dog real bones. The fragments can puncture their stomach, etc. Not good. My friend had this happen to her dog (a fragment was caught in the intestines)...luckily about $4000 in surgery later, he's ok

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! We'll observe him tomorrow and make the pumpkin mixture if he's not better.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:45 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Not all bones will splinter and possibly puncture the intestines, but any type of rib bone definitely can. Never give a dog any type of rib bone. Actually it is probably safer to just skip all natural bones, but you can give a larger dog the big bone from a ham. I would take him to the vet if this continues.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM

Update - he made it through the night without waking us up to go. He seemed fine this morning and does not have diarrhea anymore. Thanks again for good suggestions.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
Good, i'm glad he's doing great!! :O)

Old 04-17-2008, 07:19 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
bitbit, that's great! I should have said something earlier and got distracted...the marrow in bones will cause runs BIG TIME...that's why even my Rottweilers don't get them except for a really short period of time and very infrequently...did give them all one for one day. I won't disgust you with the details, but six Rottweilers with the heiny wah-wahs is not pretty...!

Glad to hear your dog is on the mend and will be back as good as new shortly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs