Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 02:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,617 times

Advertisements

Break up the pill into pieces and mix it into a small amount of wet food / shredded chicken. Put it in the bowl. It’ll be gone before you know it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 03:58 PM

23,312 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Break up the pill into pieces and mix it into a small amount of wet food / shredded chicken. Put it in the bowl. It’ll be gone before you know it
Maybe. I've tried this with a previous dog. Those pieces needed to be very, very small to prevent her from eating around them or picking them out of the dish and dropping them. Like powder granule small! Pulverizing the pill can lead to another problem. It can distribute the flavor/scent of the pill throughout the soft food to the point the dog won't touch any of it. Can't let the spiked meal sit long at all because time allows the rest of the food absorb the odor/taste.

What's worked best for most of my dogs is hiding the entire pill (if it was large, split in half) in something so irresistible they's scarf the entire thing before realizing what it was. Helped a lot to bait them with one or two "unloaded" pieces of the treat first. The yummy taste pump is primed so that's what the dog focuses on.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-03-2023 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 04:07 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What's worked best for most of my dogs is hiding the entire pill (if it was large, split in half) in something so irresistible they's scarf the entire thing before realizing what it was. Helped a lot to bait them with one or two "unloaded" pieces of the treat first. The yummy taste pump is primed so that's what the dog focuses on.

I agree! Liver sausage is the best for us, with cream cheese being a decent substitute if needed!

Old 04-03-2023, 09:17 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
I use a mortar and pestle crush up pills, then mixed in a raw egg, yogurt concoction. The dogs eat it no problems.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:10 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
I wrap the pill in a piece of Kraft single and toss it to my dog who catches and gobbles it right up.

In fact, when it's time to give a pill all I have to do is say "Do you want some cheese?" and both dogs zoom into the kitchen.
The one who needs a pill gets theirs cheese wrapped, the one that doesn't just gets a piece off the Kraft single.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
With bitter pills I think its easy on you & the dog to just put then down the back of the throat & get them to swallow THEN Quickly give really super treat. Peanut butter is ok but tends to stick to the roof of their mouth & NEVER use Diet peanut Butter it Toxic to dogs.
That's what I've always done, and if they aren't anxious to swallow I just massage their neck for a few minutes

Old 04-06-2023, 02:54 PM

23,312 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I wrap the pill in a piece of Kraft single and toss it to my dog who catches and gobbles it right up.

In fact, when it's time to give a pill all I have to do is say "Do you want some cheese?" and both dogs zoom into the kitchen.
The one who needs a pill gets theirs cheese wrapped, the one that doesn't just gets a piece off the Kraft single.
Yeah, I find planting the "extra special, yummy treat coming" suggestion in the dog's mind ahead of time helps disengage their sense of taste/smell. Helps to give one or two unloaded tidbits to intensify the value of the distraction too. The unexpected thing is well on its way to their stomach before they realize they've been tricked!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-06-2023 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs