Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 02:44 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,710,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
go to a shelter!!!!
covid! By appointment only and they don’t call!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 03:00 PM

1,579 posts, read 951,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go to a shelter!!!!

This is what's worked for me and all my pets. I've known too many people who had bad experiences with rescue groups (not all are bad, but I just don't want to bother). I just go to shelters. Sometimes it takes a while to find a dog that you click with though. It took a month of looking before I found my current dog.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
This is what's worked for me and all my pets. I've known too many people who had bad experiences with rescue groups (not all are bad, but I just don't want to bother). I just go to shelters. Sometimes it takes a while to find a dog that you click with though. It took a month of looking before I found my current dog.
Thank you for adopting!

Old 12-06-2020, 01:55 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
It took us about a half hour of looking at online photos to select our puppy from Rescue Dogs Rock NYC. It took a few weeks to be reviewed online and with an at home visit, but the only time we had to leave the house was to pickup the dog. If someone else had been selected for our puppy before us, there were plenty of other dogs and puppies to pick from. We are in NJ, but our friends who live in Brooklyn, NY had the exact same experience. It may seem like the group is overly detail oriented, but it's for the benefit of the dogs and prospective owners. You sign a pledge that if at any time, for any reason you no longer want the dog, you will call them so they can take the dog back.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:49 PM

23,313 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
covid! By appointment only and they don’t call!!!
So, make an appointment! Available dogs may still be shown on the shelter's website or hosted on PetFinder so you can get an idea what they have before calling. Remember, the selection process goes both ways. If you don't offer the home situation they feel will match well with the dog you are interested in or they have better options for that dog, they may not call you back.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:00 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,710,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So, make an appointment!

Don't you think I tried? I made calls (to voicemails) and sent e-mails (to who knows where) for three months with no responses.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
I know people want pure bread dogs but. I have 5 dogs. One GSD I bought from a BYB for $150.00, great dog. Then my nephew joined the military and I got his dog, freak show. Then my adult son found two B&T hound mixes dumped on an overpass, great dogs, PITA, but great dogs. Then as I was driving to work some jerk ran over a GSD and kept trucking. So I loaded him up and took care of his injuries. Never located the owners so he is #5. I dont seem to have any problem getting free dogs.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:29 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So, make an appointment! Available dogs may still be shown on the shelter's website or hosted on PetFinder so you can get an idea what they have before calling. Remember, the selection process goes both ways. If you don't offer the home situation they feel will match well with the dog you are interested in or they have better options for that dog, they may not call you back.
Shelters here? Pit mixes and chihuahua mixes. Rarely anything else under 50 lbs, and is gone pronto, lady who works with a local shelter says they're usually spoken for within hours. Thinking of staying with my son in Chicago for a few weeks to scope things out there this summer.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
okay yes gotta say go to the shelter and go get tissues cause this might make you cry . I went on the same day that a nice woman was there she had, had a rough week and she saw a white german shepherd and the shelter worker told her that the dog was deaf and no one wanted him and he was one day before euthanasia . She happened to be a teacher for the deaf and she signed to him something and when i asked her what she signed she told me " I know what it is like to not be wanted" he came over to her and licked her hand . When he saw them coming with a leash he was so happy . I told her good luck . Next thing i know I spot a sable gsd in the last cage and he was at the back of the cage and I sat down and i had a kids book with me and i just started reading and it was so quiet i then noticed when he put his paw up on the door . I told him Lets go home boy . He has been gone for quite a while now i still miss him to this day . yes go to a shelter someone might be waiting there to meet you .

Old 12-09-2020, 10:24 AM

23,313 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Rarely anything else under 50 lbs, and is gone pronto, lady who works with a local shelter says they're usually spoken for within hours.
Which is another reason a shelter isn't calling someone back. The dog the caller decides they are interested in is wanted by multiple people. They get snapped up by people who make appointments and show up in person. The dogs no one wants just sit. Pits, bully breeds, all those chi mixes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs