Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 12:33 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Thanks' y'all. I really miss her. Gathering her things to give to my friend is painful. The cats playing with toys is painful (they had to be put up or the dog would eat them). And almost all of her pics are on a lost phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceira View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. My dog was euthanized 3 weeks ago, so I really do sympathize.
That is even worse. I am sorry you went through that.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:39 PM

No one IRL wants to hear me talk about my dog. I find that strange. I listen to other people talk about pets that pass. I want to talk about details and all my best friend has to say is yeah, sorry. Will NOT let me talk about it at all. I'm in a strange place with it because I wasn't there. My Dad was dogsitting while I was in the hospital. She died there.

It tears me up because she was so unhappy being there to begin with. She liked it there when I was also there, but dogs don't know they are being dogsat. They think their person abandoned them. They get depressed. My Dad told me directly that she was unhappy despite efforts by him and my stepmom.

So she thinks she is abandoned and then dies alone outside from unknown reasons. If she had been here, for one, she would have been at the emergency vet, not laying sick waiting for a regular vet to open. So, there is a supergood chance she'd be effing alive.

If her condition was somehow fatal no matter what a vet did, which I doubt, at least I would have been lying on the floor with her. She'd have some sort of comfort medication.

So I guess I am mad and the grief is really strange because I was already coping with her being gone temporarily, so there was no change. It's like it's not real. But I miss her, that is real. I still go to grab her leash when I want to go to the mailbox or whatever.

I still sometimes think oh, she needs a walk.

My Dad should have given her back when I got home. 99.9% chance she'd be alive. I really resent that but I don't want to focus on that part.

I feel guilt too that she was lying alone, in pain. Dad said she wasn't eating even yummy table scraps or coming to him when called.

She should have gone to vet way sooner. A dog refusing table scraps all of a sudden means she doesn't feel good!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:16 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,943 times
Yea alot of people are so mean and uncaring now of others..

You can always talk to US Jen.... I dont think anyone here will ever not want to hear from you......

You did the best you could.. Dont be feeling like you did something wrong..... Your pup knew how much ya loved her

I do understand why your angry............ I am sorry

Old 01-01-2020, 09:21 AM

733 posts, read 468,070 times
So sorry for the loss of your dog, jencam.

Old 01-01-2020, 09:45 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
It’s sad that your dad wouldn’t give her back when you got home. That’s not right. So sorry.

Old 01-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Yea alot of people are so mean and uncaring now of others..

You can always talk to US Jen.... I dont think anyone here will ever not want to hear from you......

You did the best you could.. Dont be feeling like you did something wrong..... Your pup knew how much ya loved her

I do understand why your angry............ I am sorry
Yeah but I can't be angry because my Dad is elderly and grudges with elderly people you love is a really bad idea.

All I said was 'I wish you had brought her here when I asked' in like a growly tone a couple of times when he was first telling me.

My apartment had been robbed and vandalized. There was broken glass on the floor. She couldn't come in that way.

What made me upset was he said oh well I've got to give her this flea treatment in (I think it was 2 weeks). I didn't need two weeks to clean up and I certainly can give flea treatment on my own.

And he'd say she's finally getting used to the program here. I was like that isn't the goal.

And finally the truth I think came out 'She stays locked up in that condo'. ah-ha,so you're going to rescue her from condo living. It's so much better for dogs to be locked OUTSIDE all the time.

Even my friend was like I heard she lost a lot of weight and is LOVING life out there - it would be traumatic for her to come back.

What? Even my Dad did not say that. Probably my Aunt. She thinks dogs like to be locked outside too.

Anyway, some dogs would not like a condo but she did. She is a couch potato. A 72 pound lap dog. And she was 10. Which is 'senior'. She went out at will, with me on the other end of her leash.

So at the time I just gritted my teeth and waited for this 2 weeks to pass. And I think it was something she got into and ate out in the 'glorious' country living.

Here in city life, we see if our dog eats something because it's at the other end of a leash and we take it from them or know to watch for signs if we don't fast enough.

Funny about her. She had anxiety about people. I took off her leash standing out in what is like a large backyard so she could play with neighbor dog. Too many people ended up coming to stand and talk with us so she just went home! Sat on the porch until i followed her.

Another time I had found a SWEET dog her own size to make friends with. Same thing. Took the leash off, and she went home - she wanted nothing to do with that.

Ironically, she was living her best life when this happened. All that time spent socializing her had kicked in. She was meeting people and cats and not a lot of dogs, but more than before.

She was a GOOD dog. I could use hand motions to tell here where to go. If it weren't for leash laws, she wouldn't have needed one. And that wasn't from training. She was a pleaser.

Thanks for listening!

Old 01-01-2020, 06:44 PM

11,443 posts, read 625,943 times
Thank you for not being afraid to tell us it all... Sometimes it helps the healing process

No it is not good to be mad at elderly people (Especially relatives) ... They only are doing what they think is right.....

Old 01-01-2020, 06:57 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Definitely agree it’s wise not to be mad at a elderly parent. You would have double guilt if something happened. Next time have a friend doggie sit or use a kennel. I find getting a new baby really helps with the pain.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
Thank you for not being afraid to tell us it all... Sometimes it helps the healing process

No it is not good to be mad at elderly people (Especially relatives) ... They only are doing what they think is right.....
Yes and at his age, it's smart to start treasuring. So I am just venting I am not trying to be angry.

I still get very upset over her lying there alone and in pain.

As for blame I will try and leave that on me being in the hospital and asking the wrong sitter. I don't mean that my Dad doesn't take good care of dogs, but he doesn't let them in and that can be problematic. You can't see the dog in distress. And where he lives, there is no 24 vet.

I think I sort of hold it against him not to travel 20 minutes to the town where there is one. My uncle was the same way. His dog died in the night in the garage and I had said you better go to an emergency vet!

Some people just don't do that. I am a frequent flyer. They know my voice. 'What do you think your emergency is? lol. I tell them and they tell me to come in or not.

So I do resent that she could have been saved and lying next to me right now. Not ending her days in a strange place dying alone outside.

She LOVED going with my bestie. My bestie is her favorite person besides me. I should have asked her. I didn't want to impose again. So I guess it's on me since I KNOW which is a better place to be dogsat and even her husband made it clear: anytime, anytime we are happy to have her.

I can't remember anymore if they were in Europe or if I was just scared to impose.

Sorry to ramble but I just remembered if Dad had taken her to regular vet sooner she wouldn't have needed ER.

The way he described it she was ill, not wanting table scraps even, he thought it would pass, then the day it was clear she needed a vet, it was past hours. She died that night.

My family thinks I do 'luxury' unnecessary pet care. I rush to the vet too often, I agree to what the vet wants more often, etc. Well, that is why my pets are bleeping healthy and don't die from something simple like she ate something bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs