Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 PM

575 posts, read 339,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I am not even going to touch the part where you mentioned euthanasia over this. WTH??? Not sure why you would write all of this anyway to make OP feel worse when he said his wife has been in tears over the situation and it was only 24 hours.

I had a friend who worked in a shelter. Every time the dog was returned, there would be no trial, no jury, it was straight to execution "The dog had its chance, others should now have the same."

So, yeah, looking at my Husky while reading his post, my blood literally boiled given the fact that if they bothered to spend half an hour on youtube and internet, they would have found out.

Perhaps they did, they just didn't truly care

So, if I managed to make him feel 0.001% worse, it was worth the effort. But, I sincerely doubt it and won't be easily fooled.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Can't rep you enough. Some people are just keyboard warriors.
Thank you Immy & ZSP. I was almost going to ignore the post but it was really uncalled for. Obviously the vitriol toward OP was unfair but I managed to get the tail end of it too and I was just trying to help.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

575 posts, read 339,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Thank you Immy & ZSP. I was almost going to ignore the post but it was really uncalled for. Obviously the vitriol toward OP was unfair but I managed to get the tail end of it too and I was just trying to help.
ROFLMFAO

"Unfair"

PLZ. MOAR !

This sketch is Saturday Night Live quality !!!

Yes, it's obviously entirely dog's mistake to have been born with Husky traits instead of poodle !!!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I had a friend who worked in a shelter. Every time the dog was returned, there would be no trial, no jury, it was straight to execution "The dog had its chance, others should now have the same."

So, yeah, looking at my Husky while reading his post, my blood literally boiled given the fact that if they bothered to spend half an hour on youtube and internet, they would have found out.

Perhaps they did, they just didn't truly care

So, if I managed to make him feel 0.001% worse, it was worth the effort. But, I sincerely doubt it and won't be easily fooled
You apparently have no remorse for your words. Not sure if you can put yourself in another's position but the OP's dog of 15 years died within the last year and it can be pretty hard to adopt another after going through that. It didn't work out yet and there is no reason to say nasty things to make it worse. This dog is in no danger and not on "death row".

As far as the bolded part, I don't even know where to start - you are giving me SO much ammunition. I will start and end with the obvious that most here can see through (and at least be kind while doing it): Dude, this is a clear case of POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

You didn't even follow your OWN breed research advice yet are judging another poster for that very issue! Huh? WHY would someone get a high energy, prone to separation anxiety (apparently purebred) husky when they work a FULL TIME 9-5 job with no one else at home? Listen to yourself. You are preaching research before choosing a breed. I get that, but was your own internet thingy broke?

By your own words - your house was destroyed, your dog was in distress and you basically QUIT YOUR JOB so you can do a different task that allows you to be at home. You are not one to talk about mistakes in judgement when choosing a dog.

Yet even with all that, I am not bashing you because ALL humans make mistakes sometimes. You apparently can't grasp that and it's also apparent I can't get through to you there.

Last edited by motownnative; 12-09-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
Oh, darling. Blessed is your ignorance

If I was at a work setting, with 10 people in the meeting room and someone would describe such atrociously inhumane scenario, make no mistake that I would say something brutal as I did many times.

When my boss said something atrocious, I didn't have a problem making ten people in room drop their jaws on the floor and have a conversation with HR afterwards.

I was also told, that in corporate environment, I actually don't even have to talk as I allegedly can make a very believable "Why don't you go **ck yourself" expression" which is apparently more insulting than actually saying it when I put a smirk on my face.

If you were my friend, and described this scenario in my house, I would kick you out in a second. And make no mistake, when my blood boils, you don't want to be around my cute Siberian Husky, when she switches to protective mode as she is phenomenal at reading my mood.

So, no honey. No Keyboard Warrior here. I actually stand up, in real life, and say my two cents.

Now, in past, I used to bite my tongue, but I'm not doing this anymore. Life is too short for that.

People tend to remember real-life interactions with me for decades, so if that's your definition of a keyboard warrior, you sure nailed it

There is a huge difference between being constructively blunt vs being combative.

You either cannot tell the difference or don’t care. It’s too bad your dog has such a hateful owner.

Life is not black and white.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I have to agree trying a dog for 24 hours is not going to hurt the dog. Some rescue's encourage a trial period. We've often had them offer for us to take a dog over night to give it a try. And within the rescue the dogs are passed around all the time. The only part I disagreed with the OP with was the feedback they left for the dog branding them with separation anxiety because they didn't take the time to acclimate the dog.

The key when working in rescue is to educate. And we all need it, even the people who volunteer at shelters and rescues are always learning. The OP just learned something about Husky mixes and can fine tune their search.
Good post. I only quoted part of it, but yes, there is always something to learn. Even with the experienced people replying here I don't think anyone mentioned if a home visit was done. If the dog came from the SPCA they may not have the staff available, but this is a good example of where a home visit would have been beneficial.

A staff member could have observed the wife struggling to walk the dog and when told she would be alone with the dog part of the week it would have been a red flag. Yes, training is an option but as you pointed out that takes time and the wife or dog could be injured if the dog tries to run into traffic. Where I live, we are expecting a huge temperature drop today and the rain will turn to black ice. Not a safe situation to walk a dog in that pulls hard so I am glad I have a fence. Weather where they live is a consideration too.

I have been to obedience classes myself where I have observed someone politely asked to leave the class by the instructor. Not because the dog is a lost cause but because the owner was not physically strong enough to control the dog which is affecting the safety of other participants.

I just want to clarify as you mentioned a puppy was seldom the answer that I was in no way implying that even though that worked out best for my situation. But who knows? I don't personally know the OP's time situation and it is their business, but they are starting with adolescent puppies anyway. A much smaller one would be manageable for the wife and with some dedication could be trained to not pull by the time it gets large. Their first dog was 10 months when they got it and this current one looks to be quite young based on photos. Yes, a puppy is a LOT of work but they don't stay puppies forever.

Due to many people now being required to have dogs under 30 or 40 lbs if they rent (even some people who own their home are even limited with size by an HOA) there are many large breed puppies that need good homes. This couple has experience with larger breed dogs and are young at age 38. Who knows, clearly they are considering many options after this setback and maybe it is an option for them too? IDK

Old 12-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
There is a huge difference between being constructively blunt vs being combative.

You either cannot tell the difference or don’t care. It’s too bad your dog has such a hateful owner.

Life is not black and white.
+1

Old 12-10-2019, 05:18 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I think this has covered the subject.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs