Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 09:17 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times

Advertisements

We had to put her down Friday. It was terrible but the right thing to do.

Thank you all again for your support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 11:33 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Sending you hugs and comforting vibes. Hold her close in your hearts and remember the good times. She was very lucky to have such caring owners.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:10 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,729 times
kab, I’m so sorry. It seems like yesterday that we did the same with our 13 year old Boxer (cancer also). She’s a beautiful girl who obviously thrived with your care and love.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:23 PM

455 posts, read 670,471 times
Sending you hugs. We’ve all been there. That is why we are here. Cancer is so devastating for our animals. Ours was diagnosed 9/25. We were offered surgery for him which we declined. (It wouldn’t have helped much anyway.) He was gone by 10/25. One month to say goodbye. Not long enough, but we too feel we did the right thing. We could not watch him suffer.
Hope the days ahead for you get easier, especially knowing you made the best decision for her.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:27 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
kab0906, my deepest condolences to you. I went through this as well a few years ago with my Australian cattle dog mix. She'd developed a mast cell tumour on her hind leg and it was misdiagnosed by a vet as a lipoma (interestingly, both boxers and dogs with golden coats are more prone to this type of cancer; I don't know why). Six months later she suddenly went downhill, and by the time the senior vet properly diagnosed it, it was quite well developed. I was given the option of having her tested to see if the cancer had spread through her body, and if it hadn't, they were suggesting hind leg removal. Given her age (15) I opted instead for palliative care. Kaya lived for another four months, enjoying life as best she could, and only in the final day or two did she reveal any suggestion of pain. When the pain finally did start outweighing the medication she was on, she went downhill very quickly. Having her put to sleep was the hardest decision I ever had to make, esp. as my son was living quite far away and had wanted to see her one more time...but if I had to do it over again (heaven forbid) I'd choose the same route.

Giving our pets quality of life and knowing when 'it's time' is incredibly difficult on the owners, but it is the best choice for a pet who is facing a terminal prognosis.

(((Hugs))) to you.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:46 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
We had to put her down Friday. It was terrible but the right thing to do.

Thank you all again for your support.
I just saw this thread today but wanted to add my support. Many of us have been through that difficult decision and that heart-wrenching goodbye. Hopefully time will lessen the pain (as it eventually did for me), and you can think of your precious pup with much more joy than sadness. (((Hugs)))

Old 01-10-2020, 06:26 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Thank you all for your support. I have been struggling with the emptiness of the house, the change of routine, and seeing all her stuff lying around. I've slowly been cleaning and putting her stuff away.

I promised hubby that I would wait one year before deciding on getting another dog. I won't make an emotional decision right now - though I have browsed boxer rescue sites online.

She is missed.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thank you all for your support. I have been struggling with the emptiness of the house, the change of routine, and seeing all her stuff lying around. I've slowly been cleaning and putting her stuff away.

I promised hubby that I would wait one year before deciding on getting another dog. I won't make an emotional decision right now - though I have browsed boxer rescue sites online.

She is missed.
I remember how hard it was to see my Lily's things. I was such a mess after we put her down that I spent the entire next day in bed. I couldn't bear the thought of getting out of bed and seeing her things. I had to make my husband put those things away.

Taking some time before getting another dog is a good idea for many people. But give yourself permission to change that "one year plan" if you start to feel ready. I happened to get another dog after 10 months, and I am still amazed at how quickly my new puppy Zita helped heal my broken heart. I could finally talk about Lily without crying (I cry very easily and feel emotions very deeply). It's not like Zita "replaced" Lily, nor could I ever, ever forget her. But my emotions became more of happiness for having had Lily, and the understanding that it was ok to love another dog now.

I share all of this to say it truly will get better. It's so hard now, as so many of us here know, but your happy memories and love for your boxer will eventually grow bigger than your sadness.

Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM

1,013 posts, read 725,729 times
I think every pet owner is different in when it’s right to get another. Some get one soon after, some need to wait awhile. I needed to wait longer but would feel when the time was right. I still carry my last dog’s collar in my car where I can see it ( he died 2+ years ago). Somehow it comforts me, knowing he was given up, rescued and adopted and lived to 13, had a long happy life.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM

455 posts, read 670,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
I think every pet owner is different in when it’s right to get another. Some get one soon after, some need to wait awhile. I needed to wait longer but would feel when the time was right. I still carry my last dog’s collar in my car where I can see it ( he died 2+ years ago). Somehow it comforts me, knowing he was given up, rescued and adopted and lived to 13, had a long happy life.
Jake used to ride in a hammock in my back seat. It’s covered in his fur and probably some blood from when I drove him to the vet that last time. It’s now rolled up in my trunk and I feel great comfort to know in some way he is still riding with me. I do have the passenger seat moved back though so I can’t see the arm rest where he always laid his head.

He too was a rescue and he had the best life with us. He was fear aggressive and we worked around it. If I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. It’s almost 3 months now, and we are slowly looking for another dog. It’s not the same without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs