Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,774,145 times

Advertisements

I also have a plethora of cats. She plays with a specific few grown cats, and they play with her. This afternoon, however, I saw something I could hardly believe. She actually picked up a four-week old kitten, carting it off to a corner of the yard, and proceeded to play with it. Mom-cat watched it all, but did nothing at all physically. I really don't think Miss Belle will hurt the kitten; however, is there something I should attempt to do about it, or just let nature take its course?

And she isn't the first female I've had. She's Boston Terrier/Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix, FWIW.

Thanks, all. I've got pics if anyone wants to gaze upon her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,295,395 times
DP, I think I would discourage that for a few weeks at least...Miss Belle could inadvertently hurt the kitten in an effort to play or be a wet nurse. Her curiosity could sort of overcome her. I'm surprised mama didn't react, though! Miss Belle might have learned a lesson the hard way!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM

437 posts, read 632,224 times
I want to see doggie pics!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
I want to see doggie pics!!!
[hr]
Okay, Laura, just for you. These are a couple months old, but the only thing that has changed is her size. She's a tad over 6 pounds now, and has a home-made red macrame collar. She has one blue eye, which is quite disarming, to say the least. My camera bit the ground hard one evening when I was trying to get some pics of her playing with the cats outside.

Funny thing, the kittens she borrows from the mom cats keep coming back to her. I'll probably breed her at least once, she is doing the mom thing already, I'd hate to deny her.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,297,757 times
Cute pup. She's found a friend with the kit. WHY breed her???? She's a mixed breed pup and you'd have to keep her intact for two years before you could even breed her.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:01 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,503,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
[hr]

Funny thing, the kittens she borrows from the mom cats keep coming back to her. I'll probably breed her at least once, she is doing the mom thing already, I'd hate to deny her.
Delta, I don't think you're denying her a thing by not breeding her .

I took in a dog roughly 7 months ago who was a momma dog. Someone had bred her, took her pups, and then dumped her on the street .

Anyway, as we worked through her issues, she became very puppy-like herself (she's 2 yrs old). She took to our 16 year old cat and grooms the cat as if she's a puppy ! But other than that, she is now a very happy dog who does not seem to care whatsoever that she'll never have puppies again (I had her spayed).

Dogs can have 6 or more pups, and unless you can keep them all, what will you do with them?

Here are some links that give some good reasons not to breed our pets:

Pet overpopulation statistics:
Pet Overpopulation and Ownership Statistics | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/pet_overpopulation_and_ownership_statistics/ - broken link)

Why you should spay/neuter:
Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/why_you_should_spay_or_neuter_your_pet.html - broken link)

Old 05-01-2008, 12:07 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,270,863 times
Wow, that might just be the cutest puppy I have ever seen!! And Ive seen alot!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Delta, I don't think you're denying her a thing by not breeding her .
---
Yeah, I know you're right/correct. I had Lil Darlin' spayed after I'd had her six months or so, figuring she was around one year old. She never got along with pups, dogs, kittens, or cats in all her years following. She would tolerate, but not associate. I'm sure my vet up in Grand Prairie will tell me the same thing y'all have.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,503,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
Yeah, I know you're right/correct. I had Lil Darlin' spayed after I'd had her six months or so, figuring she was around one year old. She never got along with pups, dogs, kittens, or cats in all her years following. She would tolerate, but not associate. I'm sure my vet up in Grand Prairie will tell me the same thing y'all have.
My other dog, also a female, was spayed before she was 6 months old and I see no difference in her level of affection and my female who has had pups. I think that has more to do with individual dogs than anything else.

In fact, my 7 year old female who has never had pups took to this 2 year old female as if she was her own puppy. She has given her food, she reprimands her, she distracts her with toys in the same fashion I do, she grooms her (cleans her ears and eyes)....you'd think they were mother and daughter !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs