Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 03:13 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times

Advertisements

Our oldest dog is 14 and the next time she visits the vet, she will not likely be returning home with us. She is at the waning end of her life, we know that (cancer among other health issues). That said, we are enjoying whatever time we have left with her, giving her extra treats and attention.

Within the past month or so she has developed what can only be described as a harsh, deep cough. She usually only coughs once or twice and then is back to herself.

But that cough totally freaks our youngest dog out to the point of fleeing the room, shaking and even trying to climb up into our laps.

Has anyone else's dog had a similar reaction to another dog coughing? Any guesses as to what on earth is causing this almost phobia like reaction in our dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 03:28 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,374,752 times
I don't have an answer but two possibilities occur to me. First, are you responding in a very protective way when your older dog coughs like that? If so, then your younger dog may be associating the cough with your anxiety / sad response. Another possibility is that your younger dog is a "cancer-sniffing dog," and when your older dog coughs, perhaps she is emitting especially pronounced cancer smells that alarm the younger dog.

But I have no idea, really. I am very sorry you're facing the end of your older dog's life. That is really hard.

Old 03-30-2021, 04:15 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I don't have an answer but two possibilities occur to me. First, are you responding in a very protective way when your older dog coughs like that? If so, then your younger dog may be associating the cough with your anxiety / sad response.
This. Also, if you are comforting the younger dog every time it gets upset, you are teaching the dog that its reaction to the noise is appropriate. You've been unintentionally rewarding the dog for reacting; getting anxious and alarmed. It can reinforce or even magnify the whole pattern. If you want to show your younger dog that sudden noises like the cough are nothing to worry about, YOUR behavior needs to demonstrate that. Ignore the younger dog when he gets upset. Praise him only when he's calm. Sad as the reason is, sounds as if the problem is going to take care of itself.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:03 PM

Thank you both. Yes, I probably have been reinforcing the behavior all along. That makes sense.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:29 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Same as when it thunder. When you react by say its ok or cuddles YOU re-enforce the fear. Ignoor ignor ignor!! BUT in this case Cuddle the older dog... he needs extra love.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:05 PM

I think we will be needing to put our older dog down this week. One of her tumors has gotten quite problematic for her and there really isn't anything that we can do at this point. We've known this was coming so it is not unexpected news but it's still hard to lose her like this.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:24 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,913,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think we will be needing to put our older dog down this week. One of her tumors has gotten quite problematic for her and there really isn't anything that we can do at this point. We've known this was coming so it is not unexpected news but it's still hard to lose her like this.
I've been there. I was there 15 months ago. It's the toughest gift to give an animal. I won't get into spirituality on a pet forum, but as we were freeing her from the pain of this world I found comfort knowing that I wasn't telling her goodbye, I was saying see you later.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I've been there. I was there 15 months ago. It's the toughest gift to give an animal. I won't get into spirituality on a pet forum, but as we were freeing her from the pain of this world I found comfort knowing that I wasn't telling her goodbye, I was saying see you later.
Thank you for your kind words, they really help. It's hard because she is still eating, drinking, getting around (once we help her up) and she would have a little bit more time left, I just know that they would be very difficult, painful days for her ahead. We've been giving her extra attention and treats this weekend.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:34 PM

We wound up having to put her down at the vet's office. It was one of the most gut wrenching things that we've ever had to do but I know it was the right thing to do. We miss her terribly and our home is not the same without her but we take comfort that she is no longer in pain and that she has led a very well loved life.

Our younger dogs sniffed me when I returned from the vet without their big sister and I think that they both knew what had happened. They sort of flopped down and seemed sad for awhile. They've both been extra snugly like they need added reassurance and commiseration. Animals understand more than we know.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:29 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We wound up having to put her down at the vet's office. It was one of the most gut wrenching things that we've ever had to do but I know it was the right thing to do. We miss her terribly and our home is not the same without her but we take comfort that she is no longer in pain and that she has led a very well loved life.

Our younger dogs sniffed me when I returned from the vet without their big sister and I think that they both knew what had happened. They sort of flopped down and seemed sad for awhile. They've both been extra snugly like they need added reassurance and commiseration. Animals understand more than we know.
Been in your shoes too many times. Its a wrench. Pay more attention to your younger dogs. They are missing their buddy too, be a bit confused, and the house pack order might shift a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs