Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 11:23 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times

Advertisements

Over our 50 year marriage we've have 3 children plus dogs, cats and fish. The kids and grandkids don't live anywhere near. In 1999 we got a Pekingese dog. A sweet 10 lb little girl. She was about 6 then and we had her until she was 13. When she died the pain was great for both of us. We got another peke several months later. He grew to 20 lbs, probably a mix but looked like a peke only. He died last year at 14. We decided, being in our 70's now, that we would not get another pet..physical and financial situations helped make that decision.
I would have to say that the last two dogs, which were the only pekes we ever had, were missed much more than dogs of the past, which we loved but not to the degree of the last two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 08:04 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,857 times
I've had four dogs throughout my adult life. When each one passed, I've been sure I'd never be able to love another dog as much. And with each succeeding dog, it has taken a year or two, but I find myself feeling just as much love. The relationships are different, to be sure, but the bonds have all been strong and so rewarding.

I do have to admit that I had one dog who got me and I got her right from the start - that made falling in love with her even easier.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:50 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
All of my dogs have been loved and cherished by me but yes, a few have been what I call heart dogs. I've been blessed with 3 heart dogs in my 60+ years. The first was my Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Maggie who I rescued in South Georgia. Once she realized that I was her human, the bond was incredible. I even had strangers comment about how much her loved me when they saw her look up at me. It was most definitely the strongest bond I've ever experienced. She traveled all over the Caribbean , Florida, Georgia and Maryland as I worked on different construction projects. The second was my black Lab named Gator. Gator was dumped on the side of the road in a very rural area when he was around 6 month old. He would follow me everywhere and was happiest when we took long walks. He had a wonderful quirky personality. He would never lick me but would super sniff my whole face to show affection. The 3rd is my Rhodesian Ridgeback, Ruger. Ruger was found emaciated and horribly bitten after being abandoned in a forested area in Texas. Its speculation but I believe he was a bait dog. Whenever I leave to go somewhere without him, he howls. Any threat to me is met by Ruger putting himself in front of me and softly growling as a warning. At the same time, he is gentle with people that are kind to him. His favorite spot is cuddling over my lap. For me, heart dogs are rare but your time with them is incredibly and truly special.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,460 times
I have loved all my dogs a lot! But one dog was what I call my “heart dog”. We adopted him from a rescue group-he was abandoned in a junk car and found by police in Chicago. He was already a senior boy, and lived only about 15 more months. He was a joy every single day. The rescue named him Brutus because he was a big, husky Boxer. The name didn’t fit him at all and we called him Sam. Everyone in our neighborhood loved him too.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 849,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Just curious, for people who have had the joy of having more than one dog over the years:

Have you loved all of your dogs equally?

Or have you had one (either now or in the past) who is or was a perfect match and who you felt is or was perfect, and who you can’t live without?

Thanks.
hell no
love my golden retrievers , handsome loyal playful and just amazing dogs

one time had a chihuahua , cant stand that B@!#* thank god gma took her
still have to see her ugly face quite frequently

Old 08-08-2021, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Update - I just adopted another dog so now I am up to three. This one is a 12 week old female puppy who is super smart - she's a blue heeler/Rotweiller mix. She's so funny! I am crazy about her but of course in a different way from the other two older dogs. I've had her for nearly a month now.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:26 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I've had 5 that I loved the most including the two I have right now. The other three were a Chinese Shar-Pei and two Chihuahuas.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I love/loved them all, but the one we had to put down in 2016 was the worst to get over. She was 16 and when we got her at 9 weeks, she helped me through a most difficult time in my life.

She gave me confidence I'd lost, and a reason to smile. She'll always hold a special place in my heart, but I have lots of room in my heart for the others too

Old 08-13-2021, 09:37 PM

319 posts, read 199,272 times
We've had as many as six Japanese Chins at the same time. All were loved and scrubbed and scritched. Then, Naomi, a Chin-Spaniel mix came to us from Death Row. She and I bonded. We were peas and carrots. When we had to send her to the Rainbow Bridge in March, I sorrowfully admitted "now I know what an emotional support dog is." She was my heart, all the years we had her. I still go to Petfinder to find another "Naomi," but like a poster noted above, you get to an age where it just isn't practical. The one thing I fear most about aging is leaving a pupper behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs