Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 25,095 times

Advertisements

Stealing things and barking at 2am for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:20 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,134,864 times
My dogs frequently bark at coyotes late at night. To make things worse, I have a thirteen week old Shepherd puppy, and have the night duty for potty breaks. I get up at least twice in the middle of the night, to let him out of his crate. He’s in the play biting stage, I’m covered with scratches, and like every other puppy, has discovered how fun toilet paper is to unroll. He leaves a trail of shredded paper everywhere. Shepherd pups are a handful, but calm down by six or seven months, when their permanent teeth come in. They have better bladder control too, so a few more months, I hope.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:37 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,065,061 times
Parker is almost 5 but when he was young, kitchen towels, socks and underwear was fair game. He’d grab one of them and be out the back door in a flash. When he was younger and a baby, it took 45 minutes to get him asleep. We told one neighbor that we were sorry and that we weren’t torturing him. Getting him to eat was fun too. We finally began putting his food away after a few minutes and he learned to eat….or go hungry.

As we told him, “Boy, it’s a good thing you’re cute.”

From this:

To this…and totally worth it:

He is now the most gentle and loving creature ever!

Old 07-23-2021, 07:15 AM

384 posts, read 665,985 times
Barking at everything that walks by the front of the house.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM

557 posts, read 298,148 times
awwww.... cute thread.

It brought back a lot of memories of how our many dogs made us crazy and how much we loved them.

We had an Italian Greyhound, which if you have had greyhounds and/or whippets just the name tells you how crazy they can make you. They are endlessly needy, potty training them is not for the faint-hearted, and they do whatever THEY want to do. They aren't stubborn, it's just that their world evolves around them so you must also. But with all that, they are some of the most loved dogs in the world. I would never be suckered into another one but so glad ours came into our lives.

The answer is to adopt a senior dog. Most of the annoying stuff goes away as they age. My "New To Me" senior Corgi just wants a place in the sun and the occasional full-body massage. His idea of crazy barking these days: he raises his head and gives a half-hearted "woof".

Old 07-23-2021, 07:58 AM

631 posts, read 400,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
Barking at everything that walks by the front of the house.
Same here! Drives me crazy.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:14 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,065,061 times
Someone repped me and noted that Parker is one serious dog. Thank you!

In reality, he’s just a big goofball, much like me! He was not quite two in this picture when he snagged two kitchen towels. He was so proud of himself!

Old 07-23-2021, 04:14 PM

63 posts, read 31,054 times
I have two dogs. Freddie is an Anatolian Shepherd (110lbs) and Lucy, a Great Pyrenees/Attention Hound mix (85 lbs).
They are great dogs, very laid back and well trained.
They sleep downstairs in the living room at night on their choice of 4 dog beds. They have never slept on furniture or beds.
But Freddie has developed a fear of thunderstorms as well as fireworks and other loud noises. Lucy has picked up on this and it's starting to drive me crazy.

We had started letting them sleep upstairs during a storm when they get too anxious but it's getting to the point where I suspect they are now moving furniture around to simulate the sound of thunder while we are sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
How does your dog drive you nuts?-20200627_132801.jpg  

Last edited by DogFur; 07-23-2021 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 04:35 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Parker is almost 5 but when he was young, kitchen towels, socks and underwear was fair game. He’d grab one of them and be out the back door in a flash. When he was younger and a baby, it took 45 minutes to get him asleep. We told one neighbor that we were sorry and that we weren’t torturing him. Getting him to eat was fun too. We finally began putting his food away after a few minutes and he learned to eat….or go hungry.

As we told him, “Boy, it’s a good thing you’re cute.”

From this:

To this…and totally worth it:

He is now the most gentle and loving creature ever!
Great looking dog!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:43 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,691,057 times
One of his many weird quirks. He hates water at home and will even hold his pee all day just to not go outside with even a light rain.

When we go camping he loves the rain and plays in the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
How does your dog drive you nuts?-lakebubba.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs