Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 04:12 PM

3,858 posts, read 1,796,950 times

Advertisements

I saw this article this morning and thought I'd share in case anyone here uses this dog collar. Apparently there have been numerous safety concerns and pet deaths related to using Seresto dog collars.

"Seresto works by releasing small amounts of two pesticides onto the fur of cats and dogs for months at a time. The pesticides – flumethrin and imidacloprid – are supposed to kill fleas, ticks and other pests but be safe for pets.

But the documents show the EPA has been closely monitoring Seresto for years, receiving and discussing complaints alleging that the pesticides on the collar were killing and injuring pets."

"Merckle said she knows that Seresto caused the death of Ivan, a prize breeding dog that had sired a couple dozen litters. Merckle had paid $2,500 for Ivan a few years earlier and was set to make around $1,500 for each breeding session, in addition to profit from puppies she raised. "

rest of the article can be found here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...edgdhp&pc=U531

One of the stories shared is Merckle who lost her five -year old healthy English Mastiff after applying Seresto one day later, he died...... but after reading her story I found it sad she forced him to sire dozens of litters so she could profit.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 08-13-2021 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 07:21 AM

2,107 posts, read 3,017,101 times
I read about the collars a couple of months ago. I mentioned it in another thread somewhere.
My Daisy had the Seresto collars for a couple of years. I immediately stopped using them.
Seems like nothing is safe anymore.

All the homeless and unwanted cats and pups there are and folks keep breeding for the almighty dollar.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:08 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,921,430 times
Somewhere on here, I posted how I had used Seresto collars on four dogs.

The purebred Black Lab and the purebred Weimaraner were both fine with the collars. They were senior dogs rehomed to me. Their end times were not at all connected to the collars.

My two Catahoula/mixes both got sick from the collars within 24 hours of wearing them. Very warm heads, listlissness. I immediately took the collars off. Both dogs returned to their normal selves by the end of that day.

One dog was either pure Catahoula or mixed with Fox Terrier, the other one is clearly Catahoula/Pit Bull. One was white/brown spots with dark skin pigment. The other is red mottled with red skin and is also sun sensitive.

All I can anecdotally pinpoint the Seresto collar issue to is something in the DNA on the Catahoula side, in similar vein to Collies having certain drug sensitivity regardless of what breed they are mixed with.

To that, my comment is “User Beware” and keep a close eye on your dog for any changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs