Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 10:11 AM

749 posts, read 481,395 times

Advertisements

My female friend's dog passed away. The Embark DNA test came back and she was almost 90 percent chihuahua and the rest of her breed wasn't detected. This was surprising because she looks bigger than most chihuahuas and had a longer snout.

I really want to find a dog like that again. She does too. So many people say don't get a dog that looks like your last, just get a dog that has a personality you can love. While I agree that's good advice for the majority of people, we know for a fact that we want a similar dog as the last.

The dog was black in the back, brown in the front (though got white over time). And she had big light brown spots at the top of her head. For some reason, it's very hard to find a dog that looks similar to her. I don't get it. I don't know why these features are appearing so rare.

Oh, yea, and she had big eyes. The most adorable gaze. Never barked or bit anyone.

I thought that the DNA test would resemble like 5 or 6 mixes. Chihuahua, dachshund, greyhound, german shepherd, miniature pinscher. But nope. Just chihuahua.

I have been looking for dogs on Petfinder and the SPCA. I can't find any dog that even looks close. As I said, I don't understand why. She looks like a normal dog, but very cute and pretty. Why don't they have other chihuahuas that look like her? Most just have a fawn color or some light brown color.

I'm in the SF Bay. Do you know if there are any breeders that breed the kind of dog that I'm looking for? If not, how can I advertise? This really bothers me. The dog has german shepherd colors, but any shepherd fan can find the kind of dog that they want. Why is the one I want so hard to find?

Her mom is in so much pain right now. The dog was her life. We both want to find a dog that looks similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 10:30 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Sounds like she was just a mixed breed dog, so it will be difficult to find another one just like her.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:05 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
You are asking for people to breed their Mix dogs in hope that 1 dog out of all those pups will Look like your friends dog.... What do you think is going to happen to all the other pups??

Old 03-06-2022, 11:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
OP - I can't even picture what you're describing.

Maybe you could post a pic of your dog on Petfinder, and give people an idea of what you're looking for?

Also, I suspect there was something wrong with the DNA test. This dog sounds like maybe had a smidgen of chihuahua, and then other stuff. Posting a pic would allow people who can spot breed mixes to help out.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Sounds like she was just a mixed breed dog, so it will be difficult to find another one just like her.

She was almost full chihuahua

Old 03-06-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP - I can't even picture what you're describing.

Maybe you could post a pic of your dog on Petfinder, and give people an idea of what you're looking for?

Also, I suspect there was something wrong with the DNA test. This dog sounds like maybe had a smidgen of chihuahua, and then other stuff. Posting a pic would allow people who can spot breed mixes to help out.

I don’t know how to insert an image on this site

Old 03-06-2022, 11:33 AM

14,469 posts, read 12,095,136 times
I'm fine with getting another dog. But thinking that finding the right dog means matching the shape and color of the old dog is really setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Go out and reach out to lots of other dogs.... all you really need to do is let one in.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,615 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I don’t know how to insert an image on this site
Here are the instructions. I'm very curious to see this dog - and maybe help out.

If you look at Embark's user ratings, they're pretty bad. I personally know of two people who have used Embark and gotten incorrect results - one person actually owned the mother dog that was a purebred Golden, and the puppy didn't have any Golden ancestry. So grain of salt.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/814124-post3.html

Old 03-06-2022, 12:23 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
You didn't like any of the replies you received in your post asking if it was right to be so obsessed by your friend's dog?

Same answers here. You are not going to find a clone of that dog anywhere. Each dog is it's own individual self. Instead of spending money on a dog, I suggest you invest your money in some grief counseling.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here are the instructions. I'm very curious to see this dog - and maybe help out.

If you look at Embark's user ratings, they're pretty bad. I personally know of two people who have used Embark and gotten incorrect results - one person actually owned the mother dog that was a purebred Golden, and the puppy didn't have any Golden ancestry. So grain of salt.

//www.city-data.com/forum/814124-post3.html

I sent you a PM. I uploaded a bunch of photos to a site for you to see the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs