Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 10:22 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,949,314 times

Advertisements

I've learned so much from my dogs, especially my rescue boy, who was horribly abused for the first year or so of his life.

I learned that he licks when approached to show that he isn't a threat.

I learned that he blinks in acknowledgment when I look his way from several feet away or across the room or lawn.

I learned that his staring at me for a long time is because he loves me (and maybe that he's amazed at how lucky he got?)

I learned all about the different kinds of tail wagging.

I learned from my alpha girl that she likes to bare her teeth and lick when she doesn't like being corrected. I bare my teeth and lick back LOL She has to be reminded who's the pack leader!

There's more but I can't think of any right now.

As for my cats (don't have one right now... sob!) I learned that a long blink is a smile. That's all I can remember right now. My latest cat died almost 6 years ago.

I'm so curious to learn what others have learned and used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 12:18 PM

4,492 posts, read 3,942,457 times
My dining room is two steps up from the living room. Those two steps are where my kitty always goes to get petted. If I'm watching TV and don't notice, she'll sit there and glare at me 'til I see her and come over to pet her.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:26 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
In order to be a good pet owner I do watch and read a lot of dogs body signals so I can understand my dogs communication. Position of ears, different mouth positions when baring teeth, tail position, etc.

When he is around small children all his body posture changes, it's like he is trying to make his 100lbs smaller, he moves slower and gets very gentile.

Our dog responds better to hand cues than verbal, though I use both. We have hand signals for sit, stay and down, and a few others. Our trainer noticed that I give a lot of subconscious commands without being aware of it because I've been with my dog every day since he was 9 weeks.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-05-2022, 01:52 PM

700 posts, read 449,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

As for my cats (don't have one right now... sob!) I learned that a long blink is a smile. That's all I can remember right now. My latest cat died almost 6 years ago.
I often do the slow, long blink with my cat.

Old 06-05-2022, 02:55 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,612,140 times
My white/tan JRT mix stares at me a lot. Then she stares at my brother when he comes to visit. Why? I don't know.

Sometimes she stares to get my attention. If I don't notice, she whines. The stare/whine means she wants another treat OR she wants to go outside to potty OR she's out of water OR it's time for her blood pressure pill.

I have a huge jingle bell hanging on front door. I've taught my last couple of dogs to hit it, to let me know they need to go outside. My current dog, though more intelligent than the others, will not hit it so that it jingles, usually. She merely touches & moves it just a little w/her nose. Which of course means I can't hear it.

I use hand and body signals with her, in addition to words. I hold my hand up palm towards her to mean STOP. She stops. I crouch and hold my arms out wide, to mean COME HERE. (she loves that one and comes running) I one-arm signal to follow me as I turn to walk away. I have a signal (finger to her nose then floor) to mean lie down. She may or may not do those last ones I list...depending on whether she feels like it.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:08 PM

155 posts, read 118,342 times
I have always used sign language with all our dogs. It helped in their later lives, except 2 went blind. They adjusted. Don’t move furniture on them. All ours were 15 to 17 yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs