Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 AM

12 posts, read 27,349 times

Advertisements

ThanK you for all your replies.They are very helpful.The crate is one that I have been thinking about. Our male was crate raised and he loves his crate,but Iwill have to introduce her to it slowly.Yesterday she jumped the fence and has hurt her back leg,its not broken thank goodness,but she scraped it up pretty bad.Chaining her we have tried already and she manages to get loose from it too,we have chained her many different ways.she only panics more when shes chained,to the point of choking herself.so I don't want to put her on a chain anymore.I think whoever had her before abused her,is part of the problem also.If I scold her by just saying no toher she runs and hides.I feel bad for her she is such a sweet dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times
Rocky...do you have her & a male now? I am confused to time line....

Old 05-25-2008, 11:17 AM

431 posts, read 1,642,023 times
Well my suggestion would be to get an outdoor run or kennel for your shep. we have one for ours that also goes into the garage for shelter (its caged off so she doesn't have run of the garage). I also put my beagle in a kennel inside when we leave. It is a little big for him but it works and our german shepard will go in there to lay down once in a while if she wants to get away from the kids. Good luck and I hope that you find something that works for your shepard.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:52 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
There are some sturdy, inexpensive outdoor dog runs that have 5 sides (tops) so the dog can't get out. I just Googled and saw a bunch of them!

You really should get the book "I'll be home Soon"... I'd recommend anything by the author!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 PM

177 posts, read 973,698 times
rocky,

If you're trying to save money (?) you might:

(1) ask around to see if anyone has a LARGE crate OR dog run they don't need anymore (we gave our two outdoor dog runs away -- so there might be other people out there who have them and don't need them anymore.

(2) you could always work with your librarian (just in case you don't think of this) to get the book/s recommended on this list. We generally ask the librarians to interlibrary loan books for us and then buy the ones we like ("test driving them").

Then again, you might not be in a penny pinching mode.

Ooh, one other thing. Someone who posted here mentioned some kind of hormone and it reminded me that when we got our baby rat terrier (really a "terriorist") a friend suggested that when I wanted him to calm down from all the construction N-O-I-S-E-S to take a small cloth and rub it all over my body. She said that's what she did with her human babies. This has worked GREAT for us, I still do that (a year and a half later), using cheap undyed washcloths which I tie into a knot. The terrier snuggles up next to it and goes to sleep. We even named these little cloths, "Jims" and tell the terrier to "go get jim". You could try this and put the jim in your dog's "safe place".

I don't know what other more experienced folks on this list think of this, but it worked for us.

Our dog actually has two safe places, one is under a table which has a table cloth hanging over it and the other is his crate.

We got the crate for this dog (the only dog we've ever crated) way big so that when we travel the dog had a real home in hotels and motels. The thing is a monstrosity (sp) but has worked well.

all the best,
zebbie

PS In case you're unaware, it's the MODERATOR from the Georgia list who moves posts to more appropriate places. He did that recently to one of my posts and because of that I discovered the great House forum.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
With training the crate will become her den...her safe place. He has to teach her that the crate IS a safe place to be. Thats why I said to use it while hes at home till she feels safe!! I did not say throw her in the crate & leave her!!
Thank you Katie I put her in the crate before I went to church,she was so content. Evedently she has been crated before.Problem solved!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
rocky,

If you're trying to save money (?) you might:

(1) ask around to see if anyone has a LARGE crate OR dog run they don't need anymore (we gave our two outdoor dog runs away -- so there might be other people out there who have them and don't need them anymore.

(2) you could always work with your librarian (just in case you don't think of this) to get the book/s recommended on this list. We generally ask the librarians to interlibrary loan books for us and then buy the ones we like ("test driving them").

Then again, you might not be in a penny pinching mode.

Ooh, one other thing. Someone who posted here mentioned some kind of hormone and it reminded me that when we got our baby rat terrier (really a "terriorist") a friend suggested that when I wanted him to calm down from all the construction N-O-I-S-E-S to take a small cloth and rub it all over my body. She said that's what she did with her human babies. This has worked GREAT for us, I still do that (a year and a half later), using cheap undyed washcloths which I tie into a knot. The terrier snuggles up next to it and goes to sleep. We even named these little cloths, "Jims" and tell the terrier to "go get jim". You could try this and put the jim in your dog's "safe place".

I don't know what other more experienced folks on this list think of this, but it worked for us.

Our dog actually has two safe places, one is under a table which has a table cloth hanging over it and the other is his crate.

We got the crate for this dog (the only dog we've ever crated) way big so that when we travel the dog had a real home in hotels and motels. The thing is a monstrosity (sp) but has worked well.

all the best,
zebbie

PS In case you're unaware, it's the MODERATOR from the Georgia list who moves posts to more appropriate places. He did that recently to one of my posts and because of that I discovered the great House forum.
Thank you! I crated her in our males crate today and she was very content.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
There are some sturdy, inexpensive outdoor dog runs that have 5 sides (tops) so the dog can't get out. I just Googled and saw a bunch of them!

You really should get the book "I'll be home Soon"... I'd recommend anything by the author!
Thank you!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
Well my suggestion would be to get an outdoor run or kennel for your shep. we have one for ours that also goes into the garage for shelter (its caged off so she doesn't have run of the garage). I also put my beagle in a kennel inside when we leave. It is a little big for him but it works and our german shepard will go in there to lay down once in a while if she wants to get away from the kids. Good luck and I hope that you find something that works for your shepard.
Thank you! I put her in a crate today and she was very content.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Rocky...do you have her & a male now? I am confused to time line....
Yes! We have a male and a female. Both of them are 2 years old. I put her in the crate this morning and she seemed very content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs