Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 05:26 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times

Advertisements

Rest in peace Rudy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 08:13 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,118,738 times
Rudy was a handsome boy...I can tell he was full of personality.

He was a lucky boy to have lived his best life...thanks to you for giving that to him.

All the Love in the world fits in a dog.

Fly high Rudy.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:24 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSP View Post
Rudy was a handsome boy...I can tell he was full of personality.

He was a lucky boy to have lived his best life...thanks to you for giving that to him.

All the Love in the world fits in a dog.

Fly high Rudy.

^^Wonderfully stated! Thank you for writing this post.

The pictures of Rudy are incredible. His expressions are priceless. What a fantastic dog!

Rest in peace and love, Rudy.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:10 AM

6,988 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Sorry for your loss, Gizmo. Run free, sweet Rudy!

Old 09-14-2022, 06:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Such the sweet face. Thank you for giving him your love and a good home. I am so sorry for your loss.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2022, 12:08 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
The photo of the dog and cat together.... priceless!

Old 09-15-2022, 02:05 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Could swear I posted condolences already, Gizmo.

Love those photos! So precious. So sorry for your loss. Hope you are feeling better and better. Especially love the photos of Bindi and Rudy together.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:05 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know a lot of folks (like me) avoid the Rainbow Bridge sub, so I'm posting here to let you all know my sweet boy Rudy passed away on Thursday night. He would have been 17 years old next month, so it was a LONG and happy life.

He'd been fighting a few age-related issues these last few years, but overall was doing pretty well for an old fella. Then he suddenly lost the ability to use all four legs, so I rushed him to the emergency vet. They said it was - I think but might be remembering wrong - degenerative myelopathy? Basically a degenerative spine disease, which we'd probably been mistaking for his arthritis getting worse. They said nothing could be done, and especially given his advanced age + larger size, it wasn't an option imo to make him "live" as a quadriplegic for however many days or weeks he'd have left. So I made the difficult but humane decision to euthanize, and he passed away peacefully in my arms.

He was a great dog, and will be terribly missed by me and everyone who loved him; especially his BFF, Bindi the tuxedo cat (they were together for 14 years). She's been sleeping in the spot where he last laid, and a little clingier than usual. But I think she'll be okay in time. Rest peacefully, Rudy-Booty Boy.

Here are some photos of him from puppyhood-recent: https://imgur.com/a/Q1Oxfi0
I love that you made him a cake.

I always thought that type of stuff was silly, but after the loss of Sakari, I wish I would have done that for her.

RIP to your buddy. He lived a wonderful life, according to those photos. So happy when a dog has a great home. I know it sucks to lose a dog, no matter their age, yet I also know that you gave that dog the best life.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:24 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I love that you made him a cake.

I always thought that type of stuff was silly, but after the loss of Sakari, I wish I would have done that for her.
I did too, but when he was about to hit 15 I figured "now or never!" He did end up having one more birthday after that, but I'm still really glad I did it - especially since he was more "out of it" by the 16th. It was just the two of us and a chicken/cheese cake, since that was the first year of the pandemic. Still made for a special memory.

I'm sure the dogs don't care much, beyond the special treat. Still fun sometimes. I'll do that for my new dog, at least once or twice.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Darn, I'm misty on a Monday morning for a dog I didn't even know personally. Rudy was a hot-$hit of a dog, I could tell. But I'm glad the euthanasia decision must have been clear for you Gizmo. I didn't know about Bindi the cat but I'm not surprised Rudy had a feline BFF.
He sure was! And yes, it was sadly clear that the time was then... he wouldn't have had any quality of life, plus I couldn't physically or logistically (given that I'm at work all day) manage a paralyzed 40lb dog. The vet said he would have been gone soon regardless, due to his advanced liver disease. She said it was VERY enlarged in the ultrasound they did, so really the paralysis was almost a "blessing" in disguise. Saved him the further suffering.

Quote:
My mourning strategy for my dog last year was to talk about him constantly, even to strangers.
Yes, that has been helpful. Even in those moments right after he passed, I asked the vet to stay with me for a few minutes. She asked me questions about him, one of which made me laugh and break the tension... she asked if he was an athlete, and I laughed through my tears as I said "No, he was a slow and clumsy dog. Just like his mama!" Strangely, that helped.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs