Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 04:26 PM

7,000 posts, read 4,811,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Time to close this down. To continue to fuel another never ending good-pit-bad-pit debate is pointless!! You should know this OP.
I reported the thread a couple hours ago. Maybe if more people report it they’ll tke it down.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:31 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/8219201001/

"The dogs – two pit bulls that belonged to the family – were euthanized at Memphis Animal Services Thursday."

I wonder if this is being discussed in "Current Events". I don't into that area, so don't know what specific things they allow or not.

A 5 month old baby, a 2 year old girl, and a pitbull - I suspect no one at the house was getting the attention that they should!

Dogs can be jealous of children, and it takes some actual work to make sure it goes well. I constantly see dogs being given up when they have a baby. Planning ahead goes a long way.

I know it is a forbidden topic, and there are many other dog breeds that have attacked and killed children, generally those that are considered "aggressive" breeds.

There should be an intelligence test for both having children and owning a dog. The requirement would be that the owner is smarter than the dog. I have seen things!

Old 10-11-2022, 05:43 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,424,679 times
Sadly, many parents just don't realize that dogs are not capable of being babysitters. Dogs understand other dogs and sometimes if they are smart they understand the owners. But they should not be left to make the decisions, which in some cases, they are.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:52 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
They owned the dogs for 8 years without incident. Such a horrible tragedy; I hope they hadnt said in the past...these are such good dogs, they've never hurt anyone.

Hard to live with this the rest of their lives.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:02 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The pit bulls in the original article were gentle for eight years, then killed the two children. You are gambling with your life owning a pit bull. Do what you want but children should be kept out of it
The question is, were these dogs socialized as puppies with little kids? Remember, the dogs had been with this couple for 8 years but they had only had small children in the home for 2 years and they had only had a mobile child and an infant for a very short time. I am guessing that the dogs were becoming more and more stressed until one of them snapped and the other joined in.

My kids were a little less than 2 1/2 years apart and I had my hands full just caring for them when they were 2 and 5 months old. No way would I have been effectively able to watch 2 big dogs like a hawk, too. Especially if the dogs had never been socialized as young pups to be around small children.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Some of the posters here know enough about dogs to be professional trainers if they wanted to. The average person shouldn't need to be a dog whisperer in order to keep their family safe. Average people need an "average" dog and a highly powerful one like a Pit Bull is anything but.

Pit's can't help their breeding. Dog fighters don't use any other breed. Hmmm...Think about it. There IS a reason for this if one is inclined to research.
Yeah, this. And those who insist that pit bulls are the "sweetest dogs in the world" are a big part of the problem.

A cab driver picked me up out in Eastern Oregon one really cold day when my car was in the shop. She wasn't crying or anything, and she was okay to drive, but there was something clearly really wrong. I asked her if she was okay, and she told me that she wasn't. It was her first day back at work driving a cab since it happened.

This was her dog. Her friend's son was five years old.

https://kpic.com/news/local/pit-bull...h-to-be-killed

Old 10-11-2022, 07:55 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We raised our three babies with our pit bull and you know what, he never hurt a fly. We all cried when he became old and ill and had to be put to sleep. It you want to label me as evil, go right ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is our pit bull Amos with our baby son. That kid is now 17 (and not cross-eyed, lol), and neither he nor either of his sisters was ever hurt or threatened in the slightest by Amos. He was a sweet, tolerant dog who lived happily with us from puppyhood into his old age. We also had two house cats and he was completely fine with them, too.
I'm not strictly on one side or the other of this debate, buuuuuuut... anecdotes aren't real evidence. Of course not ALL of them are dangerous, just like not ALL of Siegfried and Roy's tigers were. It only took the one, though.

Most of the "pits" I've met have been friendly and loveable clowns. I still don't 100% trust them, however, which is why I didn't get one either time I went looking for a rescue. I almost did, and then decided it simply wasn't worth the risk. Especially since I was looking at adult rescues, and lord knows what they'd been through in their lives. Breaks my heart, but I don't want to be that person saying "He was always so sweet" after it's attacked a child or another pet. Plus I'm not even sure my homeowner's insurance would allow it.

That being said, I don't judge those who are willing to take that chance. Bless you, really. I wish I could.

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-11-2022 at 08:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 08:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, this. And those who insist that pit bulls are the "sweetest dogs in the world" are a big part of the problem.

A cab driver picked me up out in Eastern Oregon one really cold day when my car was in the shop. She wasn't crying or anything, and she was okay to drive, but there was something clearly really wrong. I asked her if she was okay, and she told me that she wasn't. It was her first day back at work driving a cab since it happened.

This was her dog. Her friend's son was five years old.

https://kpic.com/news/local/pit-bull...h-to-be-killed
Oh wow, that is awful. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I can only imagine what the mother is going through now. Many would be on suicide watch after something this horrific.

More is coming out. DogsBite.org blog has posted where they purchased the dogs from as puppies. (IDC if thread gets locked, I think this is educational. We always tell people to think long and hard before they commit to a dog. Check breeder backgrounds too).

https://blog.dogsbite.org/2022/10/pa...re-mother.html

These were designer Pits, the XL American Bullies. At least one came from the King Lion line which is one of the "XL Legends" in the video below. #6 at the 12 minute mark. Kind of hard to believe after reading this, the parents didn't realize what these dogs were capable of. Even if they showed no aggression for 8 years. The narrator repeatedly uses terms like "freaks" and "beasts" to describe this breed. They are not normal dogs. Just the look is scary to me. Video says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=718&...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-11-2022, 11:03 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Closed for Mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs