Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 10:22 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

IF the Floor is made of Hardwood & Not Softwood then the floor should not scratch cause of dog nails. I have been in old barns with Oak Flooring in the stalls and Decades of all kinds of animal not 1 scratch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 07:05 AM

4,853 posts, read 3,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
IF the Floor is made of Hardwood & Not Softwood then the floor should not scratch cause of dog nails. I have been in old barns with Oak Flooring in the stalls and Decades of all kinds of animal not 1 scratch!
I expect a lot of people are talking about scratching the finish... and if that's the case, it's not gonna make a bit of difference whether it's oak or pine. Repair might be a little easier if the scratch isn't in the wood... so less likely with oak (or other hardwood).

Old 01-03-2023, 02:44 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I expect a lot of people are talking about scratching the finish... and if that's the case, it's not gonna make a bit of difference whether it's oak or pine. Repair might be a little easier if the scratch isn't in the wood... so less likely with oak (or other hardwood).
This! Haven't been in too many barns that had high gloss stains or finishes on the flooring !

Old 01-03-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This! Haven't been in too many barns that had high gloss stains or finishes on the flooring !
S/he was explaining to me wood didn't matter was the Finish that mattered.

So Don't be so RUDE!

Old 01-03-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
thanks

Old 01-05-2023, 03:15 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
We've had a puppy about 2 months who can get quite rambunctious. Haven't noticed any damage to the wood floors. That said, get the dog some booties if it is a problem for you. It won't like them at first but they can get used to them. Dog mushers get their dogs to wear them and they will run hundreds of miles wearing them.
Attached Thumbnails
How to protect expensive hardwood floor from my doggie's nails-booties.jpg  

Old 01-06-2023, 02:07 AM

7 posts, read 1,846 times
Default prevention of wood floors from pet nails.

you can trim out the nails of your dog after a certain interval of time. but with big dogs the nails get more sharper after trimming. you can bought dog shoes from the market for your pet. and pair when it is inside the home or in an excitement.

Old 06-09-2023, 10:29 AM

41 posts, read 38,970 times
To piggyback off this thread, we have dark brown engineered hardwood floors throughout our home except for the bathrooms and bedrooms. We have an open floor plan, and there are a lot of large & small scratches and damage in the main living areas (kitchen, high traffic areas) due to three dogs and family. I've gotten estimates to sand and refinish the damaged areas and, of course, you can't just do the damaged areas. You gotta do the whole floor which comes to about $15-16K.

My question is would it look dumb to pull up the floors in the kitchen and great/living room but leave the remainder of the floors? Would it look too disconnected? I don't plan on moving/selling any time soon (if ever), but just didn't know if it would make the house look weird or disjointed to have a tiled kitchen but everywhere else is still hardwood with an open floor plan.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:49 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaG View Post
To piggyback off this thread, we have dark brown engineered hardwood floors throughout our home except for the bathrooms and bedrooms. We have an open floor plan, and there are a lot of large & small scratches and damage in the main living areas (kitchen, high traffic areas) due to three dogs and family. I've gotten estimates to sand and refinish the damaged areas and, of course, you can't just do the damaged areas. You gotta do the whole floor which comes to about $15-16K.

My question is would it look dumb to pull up the floors in the kitchen and great/living room but leave the remainder of the floors? Would it look too disconnected? I don't plan on moving/selling any time soon (if ever), but just didn't know if it would make the house look weird or disjointed to have a tiled kitchen but everywhere else is still hardwood with an open floor plan.
Without photos, pretty hard to say. There are sort of "natural" threshold points at the doorways of rooms that open off the main living area. A change of flooring at these thresholds may look fine. As you said, the flooring changes at baths and bedrooms now. Minimizing how many other types of flooring would help keep it cohesive. If there's a line of cabinetry, appliances, or an island that visually separates the kitchen from the rest of the living area changing the flooring there may not look disconnected.

FWIW, all my kitchens have had different flooring from the rest of the main living area (think vinyl or tile transitioning to carpet or hardwood). I'd never want finely finished wood flooring in a kitchen, utility area, or baths. They are the highest traffic areas in the house and they're exposed to the most potential abuse: spills, water, stains, scratches, and dents.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:25 PM

41 posts, read 38,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Without photos, pretty hard to say. There are sort of "natural" threshold points at the doorways of rooms that open off the main living area. A change of flooring at these thresholds may look fine. As you said, the flooring changes at baths and bedrooms now. Minimizing how many other types of flooring would help keep it cohesive. If there's a line of cabinetry, appliances, or an island that visually separates the kitchen from the rest of the living area changing the flooring there may not look disconnected.

FWIW, all my kitchens have had different flooring from the rest of the main living area (think vinyl or tile transitioning to carpet or hardwood). I'd never want finely finished wood flooring in a kitchen, utility area, or baths. They are the highest traffic areas in the house and they're exposed to the most potential abuse: spills, water, stains, scratches, and dents.
Thanks for your reply and input. I think there are three "transition" areas from the kitchen: one leading down a hall to master bedroom and one to the formal dining room where there are doorways where I could stop the hardwood. The hardest area to transition would be the kitchen to the great room due to the open area that has no entryway and no clearcut wall marker to cut across. I will probably get someone out who does interior decorating or flooring to help figure out the best place to cut across and determine the dividing line.

Thanks again for your input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs