Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 08:38 AM

946 posts, read 775,056 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old Labrador and it's just me and her and she is inside almost all the time. I work from home most of the time. She is potty trained and we have a doggy door which she is in and out of all day. I do go away every now and then for 10-12 hours for various reasons and everything is just fine. I have a webcam and I know she sleeps most of the time. She doesn't go out and bark non-stop. So I will boast that I have a great dog.

In the past five years I've probably left her overnight maybe 5 times and everything goes OK. But I do feel some guilt, which is the reason I'm posting.

The reason for my post is about needing to go out of town much more overnight. I'm talking about just one day, not 3-4. So leave at 12ish and return next night about 8 PM.

At 5 years old my dog is really getting independent. When we go the dog park or for a walk, which we do quite often, she acts like she could care less about other dogs. Dogs are constantly running up to her and trying to get her to run around and she acts like "leave me alone". I hate boarding and feel like it's not necessary given my dogs maturity and independence. Also, they close at 6 PM, so I run the risk of not making it back by closing time.

I'm of the mindset that leaving my dog alone overnight is not a big deal. I have a webcam to keep an eye on her. I know that their are people that have outside dogs that they leave outside on their own for days and days and could care less. I'm not one of those people and this is not that kind of situation.

Does anyone else deal with this. I've got to be gone more overnight for various reasons and I love my dog. But at 5 years old and very independent now, I'm afraid she is going to have to be without me a little more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 09:03 AM

17,357 posts, read 16,498,076 times
We always hire a dog sitter. It's honestly never even dawned on me to leave them alone for such a long stretch of time.

I know people do that with cats, but dogs are different. What would happen if you got delayed (cancelled flight, car trouble, accident, illness)? Please hire a sitter.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We always hire a dog sitter. It's honestly never even dawned on me to leave them alone for such a long stretch of time.

I know people do that with cats, but dogs are different. What would happen if you got delayed (cancelled flight, car trouble, accident, illness)? Please hire a sitter.
Good points. But I do have back ups. But not a situation where any of them can be dog sitters.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:20 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
For one night occasionally, with a dog door and a web cam, the dog should be fine. The dog is going to sleep all night, anyway.

Watch out for the dog entertaining himself by standing outside and barking, and if that starts you will have to do something to stop it.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:30 AM

It just dawned on me that I should probably add that I've had to many problems with dog sitters and boarding places to deal with them anymore.

From the time she was puppy up to 3 years old I spent thousands of dollars on dog sitters and boarding places. But after stopping all of that my dog seems just fine and actually acts like she doesn't care to be around any other dogs. I think all the boarding from 1-3 must have been a big pain for her. LOL.

So at 5 now, I just can't see needing to worry about an overnight trip.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For one night occasionally, with a dog door and a web cam, the dog should be fine. The dog is going to sleep all night, anyway.

Watch out for the dog entertaining himself by standing outside and barking, and if that starts you will have to do something to stop it.
I completely agree. I do monitor big time.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:53 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,357 times
Since you have asked, I'll go ahead and answer: No, I would not do this, and I would not plan a new life schedule that required it on a regular basis. I'm sorry (truly, not sarcastically) to say this, because I know it's not the easier answer to hear. But I just do not think it's wise, OR fair / kind to your dog. If you do go ahead with it, I strongly recommend carrying a wallet card, and posting a window decal, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/DuraPaws-Emer...07DLG5TTB?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Save-Our-Pets...073NXCDPN?th=1

Good luck in figuring out how to proceed.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:58 AM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
I feel it's neglectful, but it sounds like you're hellbent to keep doing it.

Dogs are pack animals, not "independent." They need company. What do you expect your dog to do in all of the time you're away? It sounds very selfish to me - no concern for the experience of the dog. Just my take.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:08 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I wouldn't do it, but there are several articles on the internet regarding how to do it. Having lost 2 senior dogs in the last 3 years, I saw them slowly become more and more clingy as they aged, less sure of themselves. We had a yellow lab and a shepherd/chow. Not sure if you are looking long term at doing this, but it is something to keep in mind. Both dogs became insecure over time about us not being home. The lab would chew her paws and the other one would howl, but luckily we lived in a big sturdy house where you couldn't hear outside, and someone was almost always home. We worked with the lab to give her alternatives, and/or less tasty paws.

Old 05-04-2023, 10:24 AM

3,142 posts, read 1,597,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Good points. But I do have back ups. But not a situation where any of them can be dog sitters.
By back ups I assume you mean you have to contact them to check on your dog. What if you were in an accident or medical emergency and unable to contact anyone?

We have hired a pet sitter/neighbor who visited -- played with our dog, took her for a walk for mental stimulation, fed her, etc. Our dog became very affectionate toward the pet sitter so it was worth the cost to us. We never had a problem since this pet sitter was known in the neighborhood and came highly recommended. Since you have a web cam this could be used for assurance concerning the pet sitter.

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-04-2023 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs