Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:56 PM

75 posts, read 142,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRiverRat View Post
Poor Baby!

Keep her as quiet as possible, and by all means take her to the vet. Xrays will tell if its a problem with the bones. If it is a problem with tendons, only a manual exam can determine it.

An ACL injury happens quickly, and the dog will have the same symptoms you are describing.

Our Rottie has an acl tear, and limps noticibly upon rising after hes been laying down for a while. He also doesnt bear weight on it while he is standing still.

He is scheduled for surgery this coming week. LOOONG recuperation, but Im looking forward to having him pain free again. (We just adopted him from the shelter, and he had this injury when we got him 2 months ago.

Good luck to you, and hope its just a minor sprain!
Aww I'm sorry for your rottie, I just LOVE rottweilers! I really hope he turns out ok. I'm glad someone caring adopted him, poor thing would have suffered a lot with that injury. Hopefully he'll be out of pain soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM

146 posts, read 738,846 times
Ty, bubalu!

This poor boy was in bad shape. He also has mild HD, and doc says he will eventually be hurting because of it too.
It makes me so angry that breeders are only interested in the money, and the breed is suffering because of it. (not to mention owners who get a Rottie just for "protection" and dont train, socialize, or care for them properly.

Rotties RULE!
http://www.pixloads.com/files/15488/moframed.jpg (broken link)
He's happy now, and hopefully can enjoy a long life in his forever home with us!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Could also be a spinal problem. I had a dog with a herniated disk that acted like that. It's OK for a while, they starts hurting as more time goes on. Lays down, OK again for a while. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,946,770 times
This sounds suspiciously like a luxating patella. Very common in small dogs. Goes in and out...typical.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM

75 posts, read 142,451 times
I just got back from the vet and it turns out she does have a luxating patella (although she didn't say it in those specific words). She said her kneecap would slide out of its place and that's why she limps sometimes. She was put on some antiinflammatory medication and we're also supposed to restrain her exercise and keep her activity level low. The vet said it was strange that it wasn't until she was older that she's showing this, because usually it's something they're born with. Because she is an older dog (she's 11) she won't be put through surgery, so hopefully with the medication she'll do better. She does seem happy and doesn't look like she's in pain, though, so that's good .

Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
She could have landed wrong & pop it out. Thats what happened to a friends mix chi. He has learned how to pop it back!!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 AM

4 posts, read 44,910 times
Would love to hear how your surgery goes - my dog just tore hers this week and we are still researching the surgery...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
I have a chihuahua that has a lost ACL. My vet said he could do a suture surgery on him and it would work. I can't afford the replacement ACL surgery. Does anyone know anything about this suture surgery? I also read where the other knee would probably go out in a year of so. He is 8 years old but I love him so much I can't put him to sleep. I wish vet bill weren't so high. Also I wish I had taken out insurance a few years ago.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
You can do a search on ACL there are quite a few posts regarding this. I did one and copied results below. See if the link will work for you

//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=11613236

Old 03-20-2009, 03:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,747 times
Default What's wrong with my dog

Hopefully you have already taken your dog to the vet by now. Sounds to me like her leg keeps going out of joint and it is sore. Almost like someone who has a shoulder that pops out occasionally, sounds like her leg does the same thing and of course it would be sore. Ask the vet to x-ray her leg to rule out anything more serious than a joint that pops out. Please, take her to the vet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs