Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:41 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Home from the vets. She has Giardia (sp?) They put her on meds Luckily she tested negative to everything else. She is only getting 3 cups a day of the small breed puppy food. The vet is going to put an end to that too! She said she is going a lot (even before the diahrea) and that the small breed doesn't have what she needs as a large puppy. So once she is healthy we will be switching formulas for her. Oh she weighed in at 23.5 lbs at 10 weeks. Was able to get her second set of vaccines. Plus she is starting on the frontline and heartworm prevention stuff. Big day for Shiloh. I am thankful that it was nothing more serious. Hopefully she will be on the road to recovery Of course that is if we can get her to take this pill daily Thanks
Okay, so any clue where she picked up the Ghiardea? Usually it's from drinking contaminated water; well, stream, lake???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 06:31 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
Put her pill in some food.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
My neighbor's dog got Giardia from - he thinks - the local stream. It took more than one course of antibiotics to cure her, maybe b/c it took a long time to get a diagnosis. Good for your vet to catch it early! Hope your fur-baby has a good recovery!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:05 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Okay, so any clue where she picked up the Ghiardea? Usually it's from drinking contaminated water; well, stream, lake???
No clue. We have been very careful with her. She has not even been left outside alone once. The Vet said it is VERY common in NC since we have such a large wildlife habitation here (deer,raccoon,squirrell, fox etc etc.) She could have even got it from water sitting on grass blades she said. BUT I read up that it has a 7-14 day incubation period and we have had her 1 week and 4 days. Her symptoms started 4-5 days ago. Could she have had it from the breeder?

Old 07-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Put her pill in some food.
She didn't fall for that trick LOL! We have had to do the old drop it down her throat method. Quick and effective!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My neighbor's dog got Giardia from - he thinks - the local stream. It took more than one course of antibiotics to cure her, maybe b/c it took a long time to get a diagnosis. Good for your vet to catch it early! Hope your fur-baby has a good recovery!
Thank you, so do I. It seems common for it to take up to three courses of meds to get rid of it from what I have read. I sure hope not!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:19 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
No clue. We have been very careful with her. She has not even been left outside alone once. The Vet said it is VERY common in NC since we have such a large wildlife habitation here (deer,raccoon,squirrell, fox etc etc.) She could have even got it from water sitting on grass blades she said. BUT I read up that it has a 7-14 day incubation period and we have had her 1 week and 4 days. Her symptoms started 4-5 days ago. Could she have had it from the breeder?
When you went to pick her up, did you provide her with bottled water only? I'm incline to think if she drank local water on the trip home it could or could not have something to do with it.

Are you on a well or city water?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
When you went to pick her up, did you provide her with bottled water only? I'm incline to think if she drank local water on the trip home it could or could not have something to do with it.

Are you on a well or city water?
Actually we had the breeder fill up a gallon jug for us and she drank that water on the trip home and then we switched to the filtered water that we all drink from our fridge once home. We are on city water.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Get some cream cheese and wrap the pill in it. They love cream cheese and won't spit the pill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs