Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,945 times

Advertisements

Well, Mason is about to turn 7 months old. And is very close to 100 lbs.
I am soooo in love with his breed, even though he is a mix.
I kick myself for not taking more of the litter.
I still find myself on Petfinders looking for another Cat dog.
Mason is a wonderful dog ! (beyond words). He is my lap dog, even at 100lbs.
He is not a barker, but is very protective. He lets us know if he does not like someone or something.
He is a puppy. We have been through a few "chewing" episodes. He seems to do this most when I leave the house for a period of time, and yes it is usually something that belongs to me.
Maybe a bit of separation anxiety. He is not alone, I do have 2 other dogs with him.
He is a "rooter". By that I mean a digger... but he digs with his nose ! Never seen anything like it. All the holes in the yard are exactly the width of his snout, and it so funny when he comes in with a face full of dirt.

Now my neighbor, who adopted his sister, is having a few more behavioral issues. I chaulk it up to a few things that differ in households.
1) She is the only dog. I firmly believe that an older dog helps to train a puppy.
2) She does spend more time outside at her own choice. Which is where she gets into more trouble.
3) She had dug up the septic line, chewed up the 4 wheeler seat, numerous strings of lights ect.
4) She tries or attempts to jump the fence. This, I believe is due to seeing us over at my place and wanting to come. Recently she got a pretty bad cut on her neck, so we have kept the 2 apart for healing time. Don't know if she got the cut from playing or from something in the yard. When together, they play extremely rough.

But all things aside, they are wonderful !

I will get some recent pics and post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,945 times
I posted some new pics in the thread "Our new dog Mason "

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM

536 posts, read 1,539,721 times
I used to raise catahoulas for hog hunting. They can be dog aggressive once they mature around 2-3 years of age and it can happen suddenly. Their job was to keep strays off the property along with property guarding and herding/hunting so don't be surprised if the dog decides some day he/she doesn't like other dogs. I had more problems with catahoulas fighting than with my pit bulls...never had a fight with the pits. Catahoulas plenty. They just like to fight...espically the females. They also will not tolerate strange kids running around with your kids and will bite them. They also don't usually like it if they're being rowdy, etc. I would talk more but have to run.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
We recently adopted a nearly 2 year old catahoula-beagle mix...basically, he looks like a slightly smaller catahoula, with the merle markings (in beagle colors), but has a very clearly beagle-ish face and ears.

He's very energetic when out walking (a tremendous puller until we started walking him with a harness), but can be calm and relaxed indoors - he'll play rowdily if you want to play with him, and will lie placidly with his head in your lap if you're sitting quietly reading or watching TV...he seems to like either option fine as long as it allows him to do what he most loves, which is be by his people. He's ready to take off like a bullet at any and every squirrel in his path when out and about walking. In any regard, you can definitely see the hunting background in both of his breeds. He's sociable with other dogs in the neighborhood and at the off-leash park.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times
I think Anna Paquin from True Blood got one over the summer

Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,465 times
I had one, & when I finally caught him when he was chasing/killing my poultry, as I was trying to pull him towards the dog pen by his collar, he turned & tried to bite me! Lucky for me, my Pyr was there to protect me. I won't have a dog here that tries to bite the hand that feeds it. These dogs are NOT for the novice.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:14 AM

536 posts, read 1,539,721 times
KS Storm, the dog needed more alpha training. Those dogs are extremely pack oriented and need a very alpha leader due to the red wolf in their ancestry. I had a problem with my oldest catahoula. She was excellent with people HOWEVER she was always trying to pull the alpha dog crap over other dogs. Eventually one day she killed a puppy for approaching her and not bowing down to her demands. She was then placed in a one dog home. Turns out that is a breed trait and you need to watch it. Best way to deal with a chicken killer is to put an electronic collar on her and every time she approaches a chicken..don't say anything...try not to be around her so she won't figure out it was you...hit the button every time she tries to bite the chicken. She will leave them alone after that. Catahoulas can be stock killers because it's bred into them to herd.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,264 times
Regarding Mikenbacismama's comment: I just read on Wiki that for a short while, Plott Hounds were bred with Leopard dogs (Catahoula's, I'm guessing, though it didn't say, I believe) , so that might explain why it looks like a Plott Hound, but with spots! It may be a distant descendent of one those crosses that Lott let run away after his short cross-breeding of the two hound breeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs