Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,529,780 times

Advertisements

First just my opinion of it not saying right or wrong to each his own!

I just got back a puppy I sold 4 months ago as family problems arose and they could not keep anymore and per my contract they had to give him back to me.Well they did a 1/4 raw diet (beef and chicken) and this dog does not look like mine at all and ashamed to put up for adoption/sale again til get him fed up. This dog is thin and shorter than its sisters. She also said he got milk,cottage cheese,veggies and such. After seeing him no way would I go raw.Mine get raw scraps and soup bones but as treats not as part of diet.
Sure feed raw not eat as much good dry but they got to have a good look to them or not worth it!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 AM

528 posts, read 2,482,312 times
Dreamhunter - raw fed puppies grow slower (and will look thinner) than kibble fed puppies....they catch up later on and will look the same (assuming they were feeding a CORRECT raw diet). I've raised several kibble litters and then switched and raised a couple litters on raw, and definitely saw a slower growth rate - not a bad thing, especially if you have a larger breed of dog. But they DO even out in the end ....

Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Dream -

Mine are on a full raw diet - they may each get a cup of kibble a week in the form of treats. Look at this picture...Trust me, you are seeing a skinny pup, but you are not seeing the product of a raw diet. If the dog is that thin, I'd say it wasn't getting enough to eat all the way around. I'm with Toria, I'd want to see if they were feeding the correct diet and how much before judging.

I've not noticed the ones I've had from puppyhood growing any smaller, although they did stay leaner than kibble fed. However, with Rotties being prone to HD, the leaner weight is better for them. Unfortunately, in that picture you can't tell that any of them are lean, because they aren't

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...es-clancey.jpg

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,175,243 times
Sam, are those all your rotts?? I'd be in Rott heaven!! LOL
They look great!!

Dreamhunter, i agree with all that was said above. Raw is good! I would be more upset about them giving pup back then raw feeding. I'm sure they were trying to do the best thing for the dog.

What do you feed them yourself??

Old 07-06-2008, 06:32 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,498,123 times
You have to know what you are doing to feed the raw diet. Here is a book that will explain it:

Amazon.com: Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats: Kymythy Schultze: Books

Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Sam, are those all your rotts?? I'd be in Rott heaven!! LOL
They look great!!

Dreamhunter, i agree with all that was said above. Raw is good! I would be more upset about them giving pup back then raw feeding. I'm sure they were trying to do the best thing for the dog.

What do you feed them yourself??

Oh yeah...they're all mine! And live for liver treats, as you can see! We've since lost Miss Girl at 16 1/2 and acquired a Shih Tzu (go figure)...

I feed primarily chicken backs with raw veggies and a little yogurt or eggs, shells and all, plus whatever comes my way from the cousin who over-fishes and over-hunts. A whole raw fish will throw them all into a state of dreamy satisfaction! Veggies/fruits are primarily greens, squash, apples, melons, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and green beans. I grind it up in the food processor so it's easier to digest. They get about 3/4 C of veggie glop twice a day and a whole chicken back twice a day or the equivalent in beef or fish. The Shih Tzu had been on some gawdawful kibble for a number of years, but his skin is clearing right up and his energy has increased enormously. He had no problems transitioning, by the way! I also feed organ meat about once a week, beef or calf liver or chicken liver and hearts. My dogs smell great, look great, and have pearly white teeth (and they don't poop nearly as much!...big plus when you have 7!) Since they only get kibble for treats they think it is some kind of big deal.

I'm a raw diet person through and through.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Those rotties look nice, after doing Katrina rescue as seeing thin dogs this is what the return looked like. I love the fact pup returned as is what contract stated and for family reasons and moving better comes back to me then a shelter or sold to someone else.

I seen many full grown dogs that are on raw/kibble mix and looked good, this one when I first seen looked sick and all pics took and sent me looked ok as head shots not side shots. My vet will kick my (__!__) see's him look like this can tell you that.

They get a little raw here as treats and things my mom sends up in left overs and food from restraunt where works at times think dogs eat way better than me as I do not get prime rib monthly.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
I sold a Collie pup years ago to a 20 yr old girl. We went over the pups diet for about an hour. I thought after several follow ups the pup was fine. At 8 months old the girls mom brought the pup back. What I got back was a skinny weak dog that had to be carried for several weeks...This girl Never increased the pups food as it grew!! Needless to say it took me a year to get her into shape.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 PM

These people were used to their bassets and fed 2 times a day and he not a aggressive eater so maybe pulled away to soon.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:48 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Maybe like my situation they are feeding a large breed growing pup the same amount as the other dogs. Anyway I am glad that for what ever the reason they gave back to you! Can you post us a pic or two!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs