Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times

Advertisements

I married a wonderful man in March this year, his family however are not so wonderful. After his divorce he was left not only with all the household mess to sort out but with 2 dogs neither of which really belonged to him. They are Komondors, the younger one passed away last year age 12 of natural causes. The older one technically belongs to his older daughter, shes 27 hasn't lived at home for going on 5 years, never visits the dog has no real interest in the dog but insists she has total control over its wellbeing. The dog is blind, doubly incontinent, eats like a horse but never gains an ounce of weight, has weak back hips so finds it hard to stand. Basically shes suffering and although we are the ones who tirelessly mop up her puddles (the living room floor and one couch are ruined already) pick up her poop, wash her bedding on a daily basis because she poops and pee's in bed, listen to her hobbling around half the night because I presume her hips are sore and it hurts her to lay down for long. His daughter was asked to dog sit while we were on vacation recently and instead of staying here she visited a couple of times a day to feed her and swab the floor after her. We talked to her about euthanasia and she says shes not ready to let her go. My husband doesn't feel he can do this without her say so so this dog is left to suffer
I know it will make waves if I take it upon myself to do anything but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to live with, apart from not being able to ask friends over because of the smell and the fact that whenever we sit down to eat she will get up and poop on the floor no matter how long shes been outside for before hand. The daughter won't listen to me, she says its family business.
HELP ! any advice greatly appreciated in this case .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
The dog eats like a horse and is blind and incontinent? Sounds like she has complications of diabetes.

Between that and her obvious pain, why let her continue to suffer?

To heck with your step-daughter. She is not the one who is watching this poor creature linger. Do what is best for the dog, even if it means euthanizing her.

The dog, I mean, not the step-daughter, although wouldn't that be tempting?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,883 times
I am probably the wrong person to give advice, we took on our daughter's rabbit she bought for our grandson. The difference is I took over the full care and control of the rabbit.

Provided the dog is suffering and there are no treatments available to alleviate the symptoms ie confirmed by a vet then I would have the dog pts. I would tell a white lie ie the dog took a turn for the worse and unfortunately I/we were left with no alternative.

The other option is to tell her to take the dog and look after it herself, if not then we are taking full care and control of the dog.

I am far from a heartless person, I own three cats, a dog and a rabbit, all full vaccinated, they have regular health checks and are well cared for, I do not take the decision to have a pet pts lightly, but where quality of life is being compromised and especially if the pet is suffering, where treatments have been exhausted, then to me that's the time to throw the towel in.

My Aunt's dog was on treatment for his back end he was a GSD, his back legs used to collapse, we only sent for the vet to have him pts when he physically could not get back up.

As for your daughter feeling she isn't ready to let the dog go, that is how we all feel, perhaps you both need to help her find the strength as it isn't about us it's about the pet and doing what is right for them.

Sending Hugs to all of you at this difficult time.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
I forgot to mention the dog is 15, for a breed that has an average life expectancy of 10 years that's quite a feat. Shes known as the grand old lady.

We do have another dog, a 11yr old epileptic Jack Russell, hes my dog I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and more than once during a seizure I've thought about giving him some peace. He always comes through though hes on phenolbarb which calms him down some and limits his seizures but occasionally one will hit out of the blue. I'm not heartless but I feel this is something we can do for our animals to put them out of pain and to give them peace.

I guess I'm just feeling helpless, I want to help the grand old lady but can't for fear of causing upset in the family.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I forgot to mention the dog is 15, for a breed that has an average life expectancy of 10 years that's quite a feat. Shes known as the grand old lady.

We do have another dog, a 11yr old epileptic Jack Russell, hes my dog I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and more than once during a seizure I've thought about giving him some peace. He always comes through though hes on phenolbarb which calms him down some and limits his seizures but occasionally one will hit out of the blue. I'm not heartless but I feel this is something we can do for our animals to put them out of pain and to give them peace.

I guess I'm just feeling helpless, I want to help the grand old lady but can't for fear of causing upset in the family.
FWIW, I had a bird that had epilepsy and I had to give him phenobarb by beak twice a day. He still had seizures once in a while, too. Phenobarb doesn't eliminate them entirely.

I once asked my vet if my little sweetie suffered during the seizures and he said, "He's probably not even aware of them."

Not sure if that applies to dogs as well, but I'd wager a guess it does.

At any rate, no, you are not heartless. If anything, I'd say providing for a special needs pet like your Jack Russell would enable you to tell the difference between a condition that is manageable and a condition that is not.

I don't understand why your husband lets his grown daughter walk all over him like that. It is not her dog anymore. It is your dog. You have been taking care of her for several years.

Oh, and? What your step-daughter said about it being "family business" is rude. You are part of the family. What a brat she is.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
When your husband is out, take the dog to the vet and have the poor thing put to sleep. She needs to go and all of you are prolonging her suffering! Then tell everyone that she had a bad seizure, you were on the way to the vet, and she died in the car.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
When your husband is out, take the dog to the vet and have the poor thing put to sleep. She needs to go and all of you are prolonging her suffering! Then tell everyone that she had a bad seizure, you were on the way to the vet, and she died in the car.
Exactly! Do what's best for the dog, she doesn't deserve to suffer.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I love Komondor and have had two. Please do the right thing for the dog and euthanize.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
it sounds like its time to let this girl go peacefully and with the dignity the breed and a gal of her age deserves.

since your the ones providng the care, food ect shes YOUR dog.
tell your hubby to tell his daughter if she wants to continue this dogs suffering then she needs to come pick the dog up and take it home wiht her because YOU cannot bear to watch her suffer anymore...
if shes not willing to take the dog, please, if you have to be sneaky about it, but its time to let her go (and time for your husband to regain his testicles and stop letting his ADULT chld play princess says...shes a grown up now she can either take the dog and take on all responsibility or she can give you guys the right to do whats best for the dog

*hugs* its so hard, but it sounds like you know what you need to do...
the daughters "im not ready" is bull, she doesnt look after the dog or see her suffering on a daily basis so its time for her to put up and take full responisbility or shut up and let you guys do whats right.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This is the best idea!! This way the poor dog doesn't have to suffer and you don't get treated unfairly for doing the right thing! Good luck hun !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs