Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times

Advertisements

do anti-biotics work? sometimes when I go to the vet it seems they keep charging more for simple anti-biotics. I used to use "Oti-Calm" is there something I can buy at Petsmart or something, that works? Thanks.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
do anti-biotics work? sometimes when I go to the vet it seems they keep charging more for simple anti-biotics. I used to use "Oti-Calm" is there something I can buy at Petsmart or something, that works? Thanks.

sunny
what are the symptoms? I was treating mine for an infection and well maybe she did have one,at first. But the black gunk in her ears continued to be there and had to keep washing them and clearing the gunk out and it turns out she had mites. I called the vet and requested meds for ear mites, bought it and so far her ear seems much better.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
unfortunately it is common (small flap ears) and alot of head shaking. They clean each other's ears (the other dog will lick it) the vet said this adds moisture- so its a problem.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
FWIW:
My female dog (who is now in that great big dog park in the sky) had a tendency to ear infections.They would clear up with that Otic-stuff, don't know the name. In the meantime, her ears had to be kept clean. My Denver vet put her on a regime of me regularly cleaning her ears with cotton balls and a mixture of vinegar and water.
When I moved to Florida, the ear infections returned. My new vet said that the cleaning regime was excellent but that in our humid Florida enviroment the mixture needed to be alcohol and water.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:37 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times
I used one Erythromycin tablet I had, ground it up into a white powder, then over ten days took a very small amount out of that white powder, mixed with water, sucked it up into an eyedropper then shot it down one of my cats throats to clear a mouth infection that wouldn't go away. So one pill was divided into ten parts ( I guessed on the amount and went low so as not to overtax my cat's internal organs). I also studied on the internet if Erythromycin is used with animals. It is. And, it did the trick.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,091 times
Quote:
do anti-biotics work? sometimes when I go to the vet it seems they keep charging more for simple anti-biotics. I used to use "Oti-Calm" is there something I can buy at Petsmart or something, that works? Thanks.sunny

Sunny, did your vet do Cytology?
And sometimes food ingredients can be the culprit as well (yeast), especially if there's corn & other fillers in there. And your vets sound a little like our old ones. The most minor irritations never cleared up (despite multi doctors) until we finally hi-tailed it back to our old vet who diagnosed & treated on the spot :>) (it was ear wax.)

Here's an article, http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-...rinfection.htm

Last edited by Travel'r; 04-07-2007 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 03:18 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
If it's a yeast infection, you can go and get the same thing we women would use, it works!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If it's a yeast infection, you can go and get the same thing we women would use, it works!
I can see it now cleosmom....! :
"Here Spot! Come here boy! Mama's got to put some Vagisil on you!"...

Heck, I guess yeast is yeast! If it works, why not!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I can see it now cleosmom....! :
"Here Spot! Come here boy! Mama's got to put some Vagisil on you!"...

Heck, I guess yeast is yeast! If it works, why not!
I knew I'd get a rise out of someone with that one Like I said though, it works and it's cheaper than what you can get from the vet clinic. I learned that trick through doing rescue work, non-profits have to spread the $$ quite far.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,689,306 times
Quote:

sunny
hi, my dog who is 14 was give 75mil and 30 pill it is an antibiotic. I do not wish to have her teeth cleaned so this is what the vet said. her price 47.50 the price at dr foster 31.50. You can do a comparrison of prices on their web site. You need to tell your vet you would perfer to do this. they then fax over the perscriptipn. I also get the 2 dogs the heart worm this way. i order a 12 month package then 6 months later reorder. it saves me alot of money. Oh, for the ear problem my terrier had ear drops
it was a big bottle from the vet that was cheap. Dr foster also has a pharmacy person you can check with.

Last edited by maggiekate; 04-07-2007 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs