Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,149 posts, read 30,473,135 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever raised a puppy for a handicap assistance program? Or do you know anyone who has?

All I really know is that dogs that may be trainable for helping the blind, deaf, or wheelchair bound, etc. are raised for the first year by volunteers at the volunteer's home. They socialize with the dogs and teach them some basic commands.

Also, wondering what happens to the dogs that it is deteremined cannot be trained for this type of job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 05:58 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
I have raised & trained my own Service Dog.. I have meet several people over the years that were puppy raisers.
If the pups fail they are 1st offered to the person that raised them. then for public adoption. Are you thinking of doing this...raise a puppy?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:10 PM

I am thinking about getting a dog, but trying to figure out how not to have to keep him/her at home a lot. This is one way i could keep a dog with me all the time, since handicap assist dogs are allowed to go everywhere, even if they are only in training.

I have been intrigued by this before, and yes i can google some organizations to see what they say and require. I thought it might be something someone here could shed some light on. There is nothing like asking someone who has some real experience with something.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
Yes they can go almost everywhere when in training. But they are also a lot of work. Then about the time you got them "trained" you loose them to someone else. But they can be a joy too. & another thing You have to qulify. So IF you are really interested contact a few places, See what it involves. & if you do it ...come back & tell us about your experances.....The Life of a Puppy Raiser!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 PM

152 posts, read 433,002 times
Our family has raised two dogs for "The Seeing Eye." It is absolutely hard and rewarding work.

We were able to take the pups almost everywhere, as long as we showed identification and asked first. The only place that did not welcome us was a grocery store. Walmart is by far the friendliest to dog trainers.

Our first pup did wonderful and in somewhere in Canada. Our second pup has a collapsible trachea and was not able to complete is training. The trainer is given first opportunity to adopt the dog. If the trainer is unable to adopt the pup (many will get a new one to train) there is a waiting list for those wish to adopt.

One thing to consider. We had these pups in our home for 18 months each. You love them, care for them, train them as if they were your own. It is incredibly heartbreaking when they come to take them away. A little piece of our hearts is in Canada...

Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightCellist View Post
Our family has raised two dogs for "The Seeing Eye." It is absolutely hard and rewarding work.

We were able to take the pups almost everywhere, as long as we showed identification and asked first. The only place that did not welcome us was a grocery store. Walmart is by far the friendliest to dog trainers.

Our first pup did wonderful and in somewhere in Canada. Our second pup has a collapsible trachea and was not able to complete is training. The trainer is given first opportunity to adopt the dog. If the trainer is unable to adopt the pup (many will get a new one to train) there is a waiting list for those wish to adopt.

One thing to consider. We had these pups in our home for 18 months each. You love them, care for them, train them as if they were your own. It is incredibly heartbreaking when they come to take them away. A little piece of our hearts is in Canada...

Good Luck!
I realize it must be difficult to part with your 'trainee,' but hopefully the fact that you are genuinely helping someone else balances that out.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs