Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 05:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

What Tastes Good To You Could Kill Your Pet

It can be hard for pet parents to resist the sad eyes of their beloved pooch starring up at them begging for human food.

Sherry Woodward, an animal behavior consultant for Best Friends Animal Shelter, says giving in is a costly mistake.

People Food May Shorten Dog's Life - Family News Story - WSMV Nashville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,688,220 times
In this case I say they are wrong. I and nearly everyone I run into feed their dogs people food. All my and my parents dogs have far out lived their averages while eating people food.

I do give mine quality dog food but mix it with people food. If you only had 12 to 18 years to live wouldn't you want to live it up while you can?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

947 posts, read 3,411,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
In this case I say they are wrong. I and nearly everyone I run into feed their dogs people food. All my and my parents dogs have far out lived their averages while eating people food.

I do give mine quality dog food but mix it with people food. If you only had 12 to 18 years to live wouldn't you want to live it up while you can?

Yeah! People food CAN be good food. If we think about many yrs past b4 there was the Pet Food Industry (full of secrets and lies, in my opinion) there were dogs that were fed What??? Food from us! The only difference is that now Our foods are much different=more Unhealthy! But if we simplify (fresh, no boxed) our foods again, we won't have to think that "people food is bad"

yeah, if i was a dog (or cat) I would Not want to eat the same meal each day... especially dry hard bland nuggets, Yuk!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
My Grandads dogs NEVER ate dog food...They were large hunting dogs. Lived to be 20+ yrs. My friend had a small yorkie Never ate dog food was almost 18 when he died [in his sleep] & none of them Ever had a health probems!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
News: People Food May Shorten People's Lives

What Tastes Good To You Could Kill You!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM

10 posts, read 27,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I give my dog more people food than dog food. A lot of ham, beef, chicken, etc (he especially likes ham). In people food, or at least the food I give Snuffy, it's all quality, natural ingredients, and none of the factory "mystery" ingredients.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,688,220 times
Here is what we do these days. We eat no meat in our house. We do about once a week buy about pound package of not so expensive cuts of meat. We properly and thoroughly cook it, then put it in a processor to grind it up pretty small. We add that meat mixture to organic rice (about 50/50 mix) and mix it up. Sometimes add well cooked to softness carrots in the mixture.

My Aussie and Mini Pom love it. I do put a little dry dog food in the mixture for my Aussie. The Pomeranian would rather starve to death then eat dog food.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM

947 posts, read 3,411,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Grandads dogs NEVER ate dog food...They were large hunting dogs. Lived to be 20+ yrs. My friend had a small yorkie Never ate dog food was almost 18 when he died [in his sleep] & none of them Ever had a health probems!
Awesome!!!

Good to know that there are "success stories" of our pets eating Good foods, other than always from a bag or can!!!

I am soooo glad i am Not the only one here that has this same mind set!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,341,207 times
Well grandad died 30 yrs ago at 95.... So there was no dog food per say when he was young & had dogs. Oh his food was Farm Fresh Killed his own meat & grew his own veggies! My girlfriend retired RN is in her 70s her yorkie died 3 yrs ago. She just thought it silly to buy dog food her dog ate what she ate.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:32 AM

30,392 posts, read 52,001,327 times
When Rudy had his stomach pumped (after eating a poisonous plant), the vet put him on a 3-day "low-res" diet, which she said is the most basic/natural dog diet... it consisted of baked chicken, rice, and a little bit of cottage cheese. That's people food, right? I think it's fine in small quantities, as long as the food is dog-safe and not pumped full of preservatives & so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs