Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 09:07 AM

762 posts, read 613,900 times

Advertisements

Rudy, our German Shepherd (my parents' dog but I lived with them for around 5 years with Rudy) was put down 2 days ago. For a few weeks we took him to all different vets who specialized in different things like cardiology and ultimately neurology. He had a 3 day appear when I was home with my family where he appeared more like his normal self (more energy, happy, and affectionate). When I drove back to go to work, he had 2 days where he couldn't get himself off the ground because he lost the use of his legs and he would urinate and defecate all over himself... My parents took him to the ER and more tests were ran on him. My mom said the tests tonight already showed Rudy with advanced cancer- a huge mass in his rib cage which caused his vertebrae to crack and discs to move which was causing him a great amount of pain. My mom said that he had been through enough and sadly had to be euthanized.

This is an extremely hard pet death for me to get over when I think about our other dogs. Gretchen (our first dog) died in her sleep and was very old. I was a kid and surprisingly handled it okay. Mitzi like Rudy died fairly young. She actually was similar to Rudy more than in age but personality (shy, affectionate, happy, and sweet). She had really bad epilepsy, was on a ton of medication, and was on a lot of herbs and vitamins from a holistic vet. She maybe died at 5 or 6 but she died in her sleep (we don't know the cause of death but I think her body just couldn't take all the meds. anymore but that's probably not it). Buddy was put to sleep. He died at maybe 12 or 13 and was in severe pain. We paid for surgery on him but then he died just a few days later. He had one of the best personalities of any dog that we had. Lucy was maybe 12-14 and put to sleep. She was in severe pain, couldn't get herself off the ground, and when tests were ran, there were tumors all over her liver (apparently common in GSD). She was a very difficult dog LOL. Kramer was maybe 13-15 when he was put to sleep. He had really bad arthritis often needing assistance when we were at home but we treated that but ultimately he was put to sleep because he became senile and seemed to have lot it and also defecated all over himself. He had the best personality of any dog we had. Everyone liked Kramer. He had character and was a funny dog lol.

Rudy though is one that is difficult for me. The GSD lifespan is 9-13. Rudy was put down at maybe 9 or 10. Until the last month of his life, he appeared to be the epitome of good health. He was lean, ran fast at the dog park chasing dogs, went on every walk, enjoyed long walks etc. He was a shy dog, but very affectionate to the other dogs and me and my family. He just had such a sweet demeanor to him. His personality combined with his age is just making it really hard for me to cope with his death. The fact too that we didn't see any symptoms of anything wrong until recently has caused me some pain. When I hear that people had dogs that died either naturally or from being put to sleep and were fairly old I get really envious that they had dogs that lived that long and just keep wondering what we did that was wrong.

With the exception of Mitzi who was bought from a breeder on a farm (this really was before my family and I knew about overbreeding and the importance of adopting from shelters or pounds), all of our German Shepherds came from rescues who were saved at high kill pounds. None we adopted as puppies (all were probably between 2-4 years old) and we believe we gave them good lives. They went on 3 long walks a day with us, lived in a big house with a huge grassy yard, had dog beds all over the house, had plenty of toys, were taken to the dog park monthly, and were loved.

My parents still have Sophie a mutt (GSD,Husky, Dalmatian, and Cocker Spaniel all in 1 dog!) who I actually saved from the local pound after she was there for months. My mom said Sophie knows something is up because she isn't leaving my parents' side (she was always independent and would frequently just find quiet spots in the house to sleep). I know I need to anticipate her death soon as she is at least 10 years old but probably older. It's just weird to now never see a GSD at my parents' house since there was always a GSD in that house =( My mom said they are done with GSD altogether at this point and that when they are ready to adopt again (probably not for years), it will probably be a smaller dog who doesn't remind them of the dogs we had. I have a dog who I bought once I moved out. He's from the same shelter as Sophie and is a Border Collie/Aussie mix. He and Rudy were pals. At first they didn't get along and would have fights once in awhile with each other, but the last year there were no problems.

Here's a picture of Rudy at the dog park with Lucy (GSD who looks angry), Kramer (big GSD with "red rocket"), Sophie (mutt), and Rudy (beeing shy behind the chair). 3 of those dogs are dead now =( I'll be home in a couple of weeks. Will be strange not to be greeted with him running down stairs, smiling at me, and licking my face =(

RIP Rudy =(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,432,466 times
Our sympathies to you and your family.
We lost our Walter on July 25, 2016 and we understand how heart breaking it is to lose them.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:03 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,443,570 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. And, bigger picture, it's hard when you have an elderly population and there's a "die-off." My best friend's family went through that when we were in college, and it was pretty emotionally exhausting. It can leave you feeling a bit like a shell.

It's wonderful that your family is so devoted to rescuing dogs, though. It seems like you and your parents are really devoted owners.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:12 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,723,314 times
I'm very sorry to hear of Rudy's death. I was really hoping that he would be able to pull through his health problems. It sounds like Rudy was a sweet sweet boy, with a very loving and caring family who helped make his too short life the best possible.

Here's wishing you peace and warm memories in your acceptance.

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

-Mary Elizabeth Frye

Old 08-30-2016, 09:27 PM

762 posts, read 613,900 times
Thank you guys =( Since he was put down I still have been thinking about him daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs