Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 PM

124 posts, read 249,720 times

Advertisements

o.k. I have a friend in OHIO and a friend in Indiana that travels thru ohio
BOth have told me that pitbulls are banned on one level or the other in the state I have been reading some ..but man its wierd.. They both told me if in or travelling thru the state of OHIO ,,YOUR DOG CAN AND WILL BE CONFISCATED...
the friend in ohio says they take em weather DOGO cane corso pit pit mix etc
You have to have proof of vaccinations on hand , tags , 100,000 dog insurance liability on hand etc.. does it hold up in court not always but what a hassle .. and how the hell can they take a dogo or a presa or american bully etc .. My opinion this country has gone mad.. I know there is some issues on this subject.. but the crooks are having back yard litters ..I do air conditioning I SEE IT EVERYDAY .. they are not effected . It appears to falling mostly on the responsible folks ..
/////////Am I way off base here ? //////////////////or will I have to treat my dogs like a shot gun when I go camping out of state ? AM I gonna loose a dog or have it cost a fortune because some clown thinks its a viscous animal ? In ohio , oregon , colorado , dade county florida and others leaning this way.. IS it not the responsibilty to take blood to see what it is first ?
NOW I know this is fear based and it has good intentions.to cut the dog attacks and problems ..
I hope the discussion doesnt revolve around pit bulls bad or bad owners and all that .. I have a mixed breed some say pit others bull dog / lab who cares .. but this BSL stuff spooks me .. seems they are gaining momentum to just walk into my yard and take my PIT looking animal "for the good of some do gooder Next store is scared of a bark or thinks its viscous .. LITTLE help here ... a confuse person who thinks the country has lost its mind and wants a camera cell phone and johnny helpful bothering me all the while ..the clowns with no good intentions ever !
are still breaking the law with guns , viscous dogs and theft .. drugs dog fighting too heck Micheal Vick had a dog fighting ring , killed dogs personally and already has a show on BET. Done start chiming in now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
All I would have to say is let them try and take my dog from me! Just do your research before you travel and avoid those cities/counties. They don't deserve your money to vacation there.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Default well this is great info i found

I dont know this person but has lots of info pittiesplace.com/BSLinOHIO.htm number 64 that county has partial ban on rotties there was another county I read banned all pit bull "looking" dogs listed dogos,presa and cane corso too not even for service ..they are vicious by breed as listed.. was told a person that lost {not sure if long term}a dog that was boxer and lab mix ?? nice huh. I feel ya thou I am not giving my dog to anyone... so dont even try.
It is one more reason I will never go to ohio or other bsl restricted places. \\\I do think there is a solution what is going on is not it. 64) Woodmere Village, Ohio (Cuyahoga County) Considering Pit Bull, Am. Bulldog, Rottweiler BAN 3/08
[LEFT] 59) Clayton Ohio (Montgomery County) Pit Bull & Presa Canario & American BulldogOrdinance 1/2008

71) Gallipolis, Ohio (Gallia County) Pit Bulls Banned 2/2009 No Grandfather Clause[/LEFT]
[SIZE=3] (3) Belongs to a breed commonly known as a pit bull dog, or to a breed commonly known as the canary dog (Perro de Presa Canario). The ownership, keeping, or harboring of these breeds of dog shall be prima facie evidence of the ownership, keeping or harboring of a vicious dog.[/SIZE]

Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Banning certain breeds is certainly not the solution. Education, enforcing laws, enacting new laws is the way to go. Unfortunately most city and state governments do not have the funds. I always think they put animals last on the list of priorities. What you can do is write your state and local governments if anything pertaining to BSL comes up and voice your opinion. Pass the word around and get your friends and family to do the same. I have owned dobermans and a chow over the past 18 years. I don't own an APBT and don't even know of any, but I certainly will defend this breed as they get the worse rep.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Our fantastic family pet passed away last year at 14. He was a pit-mix and the BEST family dog ever. He was unbelievable patient and gentle with the kids. The cats teased him all the time, but he just took it. My MIL had two little yippy dogs that were always trying to bit my kids. But you don't hear about those breeds. It comes back to breeding and upbringing - lets concentrate on those!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 AM

Default http://stopbsl.com place to go for all interested

good points .. there are a lot of irresponsible people and guess what ? they own dogs . and guess what kind of dog owners they are non caring , ********* irresponsible type.. so government in an attempt to control the morons well you know the rest of the story.. I think it would be so much more productive for animal control and all city workers cruizing around doing alot of nothing to inform and ticket folks with out of control dogs. For instance a dog freely roaming in and out of an open gate with kids around.. stop give em a warning ask if they have tags , fine for no fence or force them to take a dog ownership class . Because buying a dog that looks nice doesnt mean anyone ever taught you the skill required to take care of it.. what it needs etc. HELP out not ban and over legislate. Target areas that have great problems .. and for gods sake dont give the people caught in dog fighting rings a t.v. show on B.E.T

Old 02-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
Our fantastic family pet passed away last year at 14. He was a pit-mix and the BEST family dog ever. He was unbelievable patient and gentle with the kids. The cats teased him all the time, but he just took it. My MIL had two little yippy dogs that were always trying to bit my kids. But you don't hear about those breeds. It comes back to breeding and upbringing - lets concentrate on those!
as I type my pit mix is lying on his back letting the two cattle dogs pull one on his neck and one on his hind leg turning him in a circle ..whelp hes had enough. patient to say the least.. dont get me wrong he will not be bunking with an infant but...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

We are in a huge battle right now! Visit " Injustice Brampton Dogs on Death Row - Free Them Now". or " Supporters of Cheri DiNovo's Private Member Bill 222-The End of BSL" Please join. Stop Canine Profiling - STOP BSL

just found this sat. morning wanted to ad this seems worse than the states

In Ontario, any pittie (hell, boxer, great dane, labradoodle) born after 2005 is illegal and must be killed.

this pertains to a lady that has 2 that were confiscated and were not pit AT ALL this is why I decided to try and stop bsl because they just start taking dogs without incident .

last thing I have to turn this off for the day.. lady in Salina ks send DNA evidence that her dog is only 12% pit bull .. they said still a pit bull they want the dog.. unreal..

Last edited by solow; 02-20-2010 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
This is regarding driving through Ohio with the dog: Is it illegal to drive through Ohio with Pit Bulls? - Yahoo! Answers

Pits have not been banned in Ohio as of yet. This is the legislation still being debated and petitioned: Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Here is the Petition Site: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/hb-...o-pit-bull-ban

Old 02-20-2010, 09:17 PM

Default heres a little something to think about

FOR IMMEDIATE USE
ALL BARK, NO BITE, COSTS IN THE MILLIONS
New research exposes high taxpayer cost to ban pit bulls
Breed-discriminatory legislation that targets pit bull-type dogs is an expensive waste of tax dollars,
according to an economic study commissioned by Best Friends Animal Society. The Utah-based
national animal welfare organization has worked with American pit bull terriers for many years and in
the past two years has been working to rehabilitate dogs from the Michael Vick dog fighting case.
The study, completed by John Dunham and Associates and based on data from a variety of sources
including the Federal government, serves as core information for a new online “Fiscal Impact
Calculator” that Best Friends says will help state and local governmental entities calculate the true
cost of implementing and enforcing breed-discriminatory laws. Such laws exist in approximately 300
different U.S. communities and involve regulating or banning certain breeds of dogs based solely on
their lineage with no regard to the animal’s behavior or temperament.
Bottom line finding: It would cost governmental entities in excess of $450 million to enforce a
nationwide ban on pit bulls, which would include costs of enforcement, kenneling and veterinary care,
euthanizing and disposal, litigation and DNA testing.
Among the other key findings of the study: There are approximately 72.1 million dogs in the United
States, of which approximately five million (6.9 percent) can be described as pit bulls or pit bull mixes
based solely on their appearance.
“Pit bull bans are enormously expensive and ineffective,” said Ledy VanKavage, an attorney with
Utah-based Best Friends. “And if breed discriminatory ordinances are passed, people who love their
pets will fight the government’s arbitrary identification of their dog, making them even more difficult to
enforce.
“Many people view this as a property rights issue—‘as long as I’m a responsible dog owner, I should
be allowed to have whatever breed of dog I choose.’ The key here is being responsible. Reckless or
negligent owners should be prevented from owning any breed of dog.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs