Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I feel that certain breed should be banned.
As to the confiscation thing tho, that I don't agree with, unless the dog in question has shown to be agressive.
But to take a dog that is just passing thru the city, county or state? That is tyranny!

The other thing is that whoever in authority must have someone with knowledge of the breeds to pass judgment.
A friend of mine had her house insurance cancelled because the insurance guy saw her Boxer which had his tail and natural ears, and judged it to be a pit bull. Ignorance abounds.
Of every person I've spoken to personally that has been hard core pro BSL, by the time they get the facts and open their eyes, they realize breed bans are stupid. They are born of fear and lack of education / information.

There is no such thing as a 'bad breed'. The pitbull type dogs everyone thinks are so terrible consistently test higher than many of 'man's best friend' breeds such as the golden retriever. So should we ban the Golden since they're obviously more likely to bite than the pittie types? And if we ban the pittie types, what's going to stop the criminals and bad owners - who are 90% of the bite statistic problem - from going and bringing home a 140 mastiff they either don't bother to socialize and train or even worse train to be aggressive? And who gets to decide what dog is a 'pitbull'? I've seen vet's, techs, shelter workers, trainers, etc mis-identify other breeds, labeling them as 'pitbulls'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:15 AM

124 posts, read 249,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I feel that certain breed should be banned.
As to the confiscation thing tho, that I don't agree with, unless the dog in question has shown to be agressive.
But to take a dog that is just passing thru the city, county or state? That is tyranny!

The other thing is that whoever in authority must have someone with knowledge of the breeds to pass judgment.
A friend of mine had her house insurance cancelled because the insurance guy saw her Boxer which had his tail and natural ears, and judged it to be a pit bull. Ignorance abounds.
Heres the problem.. they started with "pit bulls" look at the list grow of illegal dogs in pilot missouri. now ohio is the same There is talk of adding german shepards and mastiffs soon and a group said they are pushing to take this nation wide.. like a person said on here the crimals will keep getting dogs and training them to be vicious
  1. Breed: American Pit Bull Terrier
  2. Breed: American Staffordshire Terrier
  3. Breed: Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  4. Breed: Rottweiler
  5. Breed: Chow Chow
  6. Breed: Doberman
  7. Type: Chinese fighting dog
  8. Type: Any dog that looks like a “pit bull” {this is a huge loop hole.. if you are at work and neighbor calls a.c. says you have a pit and you dont ..without any ! paperwork they can just f ing sieze your dog.. Not mine cause I have a dog door. but you see the insanity here .. pit bull looking can be a lab and many dogs mixed .}
Gallipolis now joins a number of other Ohio cities that ban pit bull type dogs including: Bexley, Cincinnati, Garfield Heights, Girard, Greenhills, Lakewood, Reynoldsburg, Village of South Point, Warrensville Heights, Wooster and Youngstown. View all related Ohio ordinances. If you would like to read yourself here is the link
http://stopbsl.com/2009/03/04/pilot-grove-mo-dog-breeds-banned-bsl-passed/ (broken link)

Old 03-10-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selwyn marock View Post
If it is me that you refer to with this wackadoo theory I have no objection I have been fighting this law BSL for nearly 9 years,I have personal experience in Miami-Dade County where 2 of my Staffies that I sent to my sister from Portugal where I was living at the time got arrested for doing nothing wrong but getting of my sister's property,I flew to Miami eventually we won and the 2 dogs are now in Washington adopted out.Dade-County has had BSL for more than 20 years,Denver has had BSL for G-D knows how long,and of course Ontario Canada also forever,10 years those 3 places will still have BSL.
To clear up another point I am neither a Republican or a Democrat I dislike most politicians equally,but I do guage the growth of Dog-Fighting and Breed Specific Legislation by the number of Google Alerts I receive daily.
Are you aware that a little Daschund could land up on death row for nipping a veterinary nurse,that is in a Town or City called Lafayette?The numbers are growing.
Petitions and letters to Mayors Dear Rt. Honourable Sir Your Highness are not working, us "Stupid Masses" have to started getting angry, but writing on blogs "My Pitbull is beautiful it is friendly" is only converting the converted achieving zero else.
If animal -lovers are not willing to fight rather pack it in,I am about to.But do write this in your diary,with the Help of our good friends from Peta and the neuter spay policy, 1 year from now how many dogs will be banned and then remember WACKADOO Selwyn Marock smarock10@yahoo.com
at first I thought you were way out there but I think I am too.. lol I see you have many good points .. question ? Is the city of Lafayette you mentioned is this in north west indiana ?

Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Yes, that is true. They do not need any search warrant or documentation. In most cases, if the breed of dog is illegal they can enter your home or yard and take them. It's scary too because who gets to decide if they are a 'pitbull'? I've seen dogs in shelters I've pulled from that are labeled pitbulls that are clearly labs or boxers or other breeds. Even shelter workers and many vets can't definitively say if a dog is 'pit' but they have the power to seize and kill them?

The good news is people seem to be more aware now that there is no such thing as a bad breed of dog. Many of the cities that have enacted these laws are seeing their bites stats rise. They still have the occasional pit bite because the fact is the majority of pit bites they are are dogs owned by criminals. Criminals want aggressive dogs. And the criminal element will never adhere to the laws. They'll continue to bring them home, train them to be aggressive and bites will continue. The ones that don't want to deal with the law for the breed specific laws just go get other large breed dogs and train them to be aggressive, so the bites continue, but they see it in other breeds.

My biggest arguement to counties and towns that are looking at BSL is if you ban a 45 pound pit your criminal element may come home with a 140 pound mastiff that they'll train to be aggressive, so in the end all you're doing is putting your public in more danger. The people that walk into the county and town commission meetings on this very pro-BSL always seem to sit up and take notice when you bring that up. I've seen a huge number of pro-BSL people walk out very anti-BSL because of how much danger it puts their families in.

We've got to get to the heart of dog aggression and in most cases it goes back to improper ownership. Don't get me wrong - there are some dogs out there with aggression issues that aren't due to humans screwing them up. I don't think there are many and I don't think it's solely a single breed. I think you're just as likely to see a psycho poodle as you are a psycho pittie. If we want to keep the public safe from dog attacks we've got to start passing stricter ownership laws. You've got to keep your dog confined; no allowing it to roam unattended. And you can't be chaining them; too many studies have shown time and time again that a dog's aggression level escalates if it's chained.

And as much as it's a hated topic, we need to push spay and neuter. The fact is a dog with hormones running through it's system is more likely to bite, period. I'm not saying every dog on the planet or in the country should be altered, but if you aren't breeding your dog and aren't working your dog there is no reason it shouldn't be spayed or neutered by a year old.

JMO of course.
It is true I read up and approx.. 70 % of all dog bites are un altered male dogs any breed ..testosterone plays a big part just ask a teenager lmao..

Old 03-10-2010, 05:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
Well, it is completely true that if you are traveling through an area with BSL in place that they can confiscate the dog and most likely euthanize. In Colorodo it has gotten so out of control that people in on the BSL are going to bully breed owner's houses and confiscating to euthanize any dog that looks or supposedly acts like the sterotypical bully breed. There is even talk of banning German shepards next. But I know that right now in Florida that they are trying to lift the BSL by taking the counties and cities rights to ban away from them.

I think people need to really look at what's going on in this country with BSL and fight back because there are 1000's of innocent dogs getting taken away from their homes to meet death. It's not fair to them or their owners and I guarantee you that when it comes time to ban another breed, one that those who were all for the BSL, it will be whole different story. People should think of a dog as an animal, what it really is and not be so judgmental or stereotypical.

I think a large part of the problem is that people buy the larger dogs thinking they are so cute as a puppy and want a gaurd dog. Well, unfortunately, most of these large breeds need constant mental and physical challenges. If they have all that built up energy and frustration it could be used for the wrong thing. So before someone goes and buys a pittbull terrier,or a shepard or a rodesian ridgeback, think about the time and effort and energy level and know that you can provide everything to that dog!

Anyways, point blank, the dogs are the innocent with no voice and its only up to us to stop the killing of these animals! it's wrong! So as people in denver, CO say: ITS MY DOG, MY CHOICE, MY FREEDOM! Don't forget it is America and I'm pretty sure BSL violates are constitution!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Default Just let ANYONE..."TRY" to take our Rotties...

First of all anyone even try to take our Rotts...it would be over my dead body. SERIOUSLY...

Just yesterday... I was on Petfinders for only about 12 hours straight, looking at dogs.
Since our male Rotty passed away 1-31-10, we just have a HUGE hole in our heart & why not adopt another Rott that needs a home.
I found a few possibilities (sending the stats to Hubby at work). Between the two of us we thought one Rotty would fit our family of Rotts.
I filled out the application... being that this rescue org. is out of our state, we will see what happens.

One of the questions on the app. was... if your filing to adopt a Chow, GSD, Dobie, Pit, Akita, Mastiff, Rott or other guardian dog... have you checked with your home owners Ins. to make sure you are allowwed to own one of these breeds. If you are applying for a Rott, please give the name of your insurance company.

Not only did I give the name of the Ins. co, but I gave them the direct phone number to our agent.

Our Ins co. doesn't have any issues with us having Rotts. I simply wrote on app. we have had Rotts 25 years, never- ever having any inncidents of any kind.

And...we live in MO.

So I think it is strictly a city/state type law.

I pity the person or persons that try to even attempt to harm or take away our dogs. There will be a fight like you have never seen. I live for our dogs. They are our lives. They are everything to us.

People just have to be responsible owners. There are no excuses for letting a "Guardian type dog" to get out, or away from you.
Yes... accidents do happen, but you must prevent the accident before it even happens. This can be done. If you are responsible.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,900 times
Well, for the people who are ignorant enough to think that banning a breed will solve the problem, your out of your mind and have no heart! First off, it's typically the irresponsible owner who is at fault for the aggression commonly found in the breeds being banned because people own them specifically for "fighting abilities." Pit-bull terriers, GSD's, Amstaffs, etc are not known for human aggression, where as dog agression or predatory instincts are most likely high, there are solutions and ways to train them at a young age, such as socializing. And in the older dogs with behavioral issues there are still ways to rehabilitate but you cannot say that ALL of a breed are bad. That's like saying every human in this world is bad.

So, let's go back to the fact that it's not the breed but the owner. All dogs are animals, and they have been domesticated. That doesn't mean that their instincts and natural ways disappeared although like I said they obviously can and should be trained, but that is up to the owners.

BTW not to mention: My fiance and I own a pitbull (17 mos old) and a 11 month old GSD who we just adopted and they are both females and both very sweet. People automatically assume the same sex can't get along either but it's all in how you do things. You have to properly introduce and allow them to do what nature intended without either being in harms way. Anyways, what I was going to say is that 2 weeks ago I was walking the two of them when 2 chihuahas off leash and no owner anywhere to be found, came at my two obviously larger dogs and actually refused to let up as I walked them away. The chihuahas were aggressive and in attack mode. Now it's pretty obvious who would have won that fight but who do you think would be blamed in this situation? I feel that larger breeds are more harshly punished due to the fact they can do more damage. I mean, I can't see a Yorkie being able to kill someone even if he wanted to!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:42 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,202,733 times
BSL is stupid. I remember having a bull terrier mix puppy in high school a coupla years [RIP Apollo =( ] and he was a great dog- he never grew to be very big but he was very loving, relatively well mannered (his favorite thing to do was get up on the la-z-boy and snooze) and very protective of his favorite person (me) and his other people (my little sisters).

I understand that a lot of sources state that bull terrier breeds (and other breeds) are more prone to aggression than other dogs, but I absolutely refuse to believe that. You can pretty much overcome and delete any behavior like that if you raise your dog the right way (and get it some excercise, and feed it, and give it water and food and attention)

Anyways, I remember seeing a proposal or an idea in CA where I lived at the time that was investigating how effective a BSL could be- I remember calling my stepdad and telling him to vote against it if it ever arose, else I'd never speak to him again. XD

Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
BSL is stupid. I remember having a bull terrier mix puppy in high school a coupla years [RIP Apollo =( ] and he was a great dog- he never grew to be very big but he was very loving, relatively well mannered (his favorite thing to do was get up on the la-z-boy and snooze) and very protective of his favorite person (me) and his other people (my little sisters).

I understand that a lot of sources state that bull terrier breeds (and other breeds) are more prone to aggression than other dogs, but I absolutely refuse to believe that. You can pretty much overcome and delete any behavior like that if you raise your dog the right way (and get it some excercise, and feed it, and give it water and food and attention)

Anyways, I remember seeing a proposal or an idea in CA where I lived at the time that was investigating how effective a BSL could be- I remember calling my stepdad and telling him to vote against it if it ever arose, else I'd never speak to him again. XD
well stated ... in my experience all the strong breeds rotties , shepards etc need a strong owner that treats the dog right but firmly and exercises em.. I would not move to a bsl area just to keep my dogs ..

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnImAlLvR87 View Post
Well, it is completely true that if you are traveling through an area with BSL in place that they can confiscate the dog and most likely euthanize. In Colorodo it has gotten so out of control that people in on the BSL are going to bully breed owner's houses and confiscating to euthanize any dog that looks or supposedly acts like the sterotypical bully breed. There is even talk of banning German shepards next. But I know that right now in Florida that they are trying to lift the BSL by taking the counties and cities rights to ban away from them.

I think people need to really look at what's going on in this country with BSL and fight back because there are 1000's of innocent dogs getting taken away from their homes to meet death. It's not fair to them or their owners and I guarantee you that when it comes time to ban another breed, one that those who were all for the BSL, it will be whole different story. People should think of a dog as an animal, what it really is and not be so judgmental or stereotypical.

I think a large part of the problem is that people buy the larger dogs thinking they are so cute as a puppy and want a gaurd dog. Well, unfortunately, most of these large breeds need constant mental and physical challenges. If they have all that built up energy and frustration it could be used for the wrong thing. So before someone goes and buys a pittbull terrier,or a shepard or a rodesian ridgeback, think about the time and effort and energy level and know that you can provide everything to that dog!

Anyways, point blank, the dogs are the innocent with no voice and its only up to us to stop the killing of these animals! it's wrong! So as people in denver, CO say: ITS MY DOG, MY CHOICE, MY FREEDOM! Don't forget it is America and I'm pretty sure BSL violates are constitution!
I like thought you have here.

absolutely violates are rights .. a bsl creates a situation where you neighbor says you have certain dog and they just go into your yard >? huh what .. bull****. Now I do believe the folks with pits on a chain in the front yard or a bad fence untrained in public.. they have issues .. focus on those morons .. leave the other 98 % of us alone. ... Maybe if we enforce laws we have and get rid of a lot of the repeat offenders that cause all this junk .. dont get me started..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs