Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,478,202 times

Advertisements

We saw these two when we were at the shelter last Thursday. The Director kept telling me to take them. The only downside is they are both cat aggressive so I'll have to work on that and be vigilant with the cats in the meantime and it looks like the one on the right may need eye surgery. No biggie there though.

She finally had us talked into taking them and I was going to go move 16 dogs around to fit two more when she said their 'stray hold' wasn't up for two more days. Gah!

Apparently they are a couple years old. Local drug dealers bought them when they were little. They let them roam all the time and they've been to the shelter as strays so many times they know the owner's name / phone number off the top of their head.

They called them this time to let them know they were back again and how much the reclaim fee would be (it's more each time you have to come get them) and they never called back. Director called me this weekend and said they never showed so if we'd still take them they were ours.

Making arrangements to get them now. Will post better pics when we have them.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz249/hartintn/Current%20Available%20Fosters/Jessamine%20060310/06101015351.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:08 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,153,591 times
MAK'll take 'em both.

Let's start arranging transport, STAT!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,323,209 times
OMG, can I have them both? What's another 2 to our mix? No cats here, so that's not a worry! What sex are they?

But seriously, if you're looking for a Bulldog rescue to take them, I have contacts here and we get them from all over the world. Last one came from Korea, of all places! Bulldogs are the #1 breed in Los Angeles, so the rescue here does really well with placement. And, it's Bulldog weather year-round!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM

About 2 years old. A male and a female. Thank God we're getting them before they decide to start breeding.

We'll place them. I'm pretty excited. I always love getting a breed that's new to us!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

They look to be in excellent shape. Can't really see the one on the left, but the right one has an awesome waist line. Many people let these dogs get fat, but it looks like he kept them in shape! Did you name them yet?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:44 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,542,531 times
I would love to have an English Bulldog. Around here all we see are VERY expensive puppies people have for sale $1,500-2,500 usually.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I would love to have an English Bulldog. Around here all we see are VERY expensive puppies people have for sale $1,500-2,500 usually.
Same here. Makes me sick. I just accepted a GSD that the President of our local HSUS has. She paid $5000 - yes, three zeros - for him and had him imported from Germany. She breeds like crazy, no genetic health testing. Then sells the puppies for $5000 each.

She decided yesterday he's not living up to her standards so she asked my shelter coordinator if she could find a rescue for him so she doesn't have to leave him at animal control.

Luckily she doesn't know my shelter coordinator is my shelter coordinator or she wouldn't work with her at all. Prez and I had a monster blow out early this year at a community meeting when I told her she's an over priced back yard breeder. Darn mouth works way faster than my brain some days. Not that I didn't mean it. I just didn't mean for it to come out!

Anyway, regardless of what others are selling them for, we'll be adopting them out for a much more reasonable price. The rescues that jack up adoption fees on purebred expensive dogs tick me off. These two are going to be a bit more than our usual as the one will need eye surgery, but still less than most northern rescues adopt out mixed breed adults. I think that's fair.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM

$1,500 is very cheap for a Bulldog puppy. No reputable breeder will sell for that low. If you go the reputable breeder route, expect to pay around $3k! The pet stores around here sell them for around $1500, but they all have serious health issues.

D, doesn't Artie need a brother? You can name him Porterhouse!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Anyway, regardless of what others are selling them for, we'll be adopting them out for a much more reasonable price. The rescues that jack up adoption fees on purebred expensive dogs tick me off. These two are going to be a bit more than our usual as the one will need eye surgery, but still less than most northern rescues adopt out mixed breed adults. I think that's fair.
The rescues here adopt Bulldogs for around $800. The reason is, the only way a Bulldog makes it to a rescue is when it comes from a pet store, byb, or puppy mill. They have a ton of health issues because of that and will require extensive medical care after. If they can't afford the $800 adoption fee, they will never be able to afford the inevitable healthcare costs of the dog.

The one I work with told me that if people are looking for a healthy Bulldog, he sends them to a reputable breeder because in his 25 years in the business, he has yet to see one that didn't have issues. As he put it, people don't just give up Bulldogs to rescue if they are healthy. If they no longer want them, they sell them on Craigslist to many willing people. The sick ones don't sell, so they get dumped at the rescue. They also get a ton of very dog, cat, human aggressive dogs dumped on them as well. He told me that a dog like PC would never end up in rescue. Not a single health issue and he's almost 2, that's unheard of in Bulldog rescue. This is the only breed-specific rescue that actually sends people to reputable breeders because most want a healthy dog.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,153,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
D, doesn't Artie need a brother? You can name him Porterhouse!
Perfect name -- Artie would eat him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs