Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM

561 posts, read 1,515,035 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone -- I thought this would be the best place to get some advice on a subject not many like to talk about - euthanizing our beloved pets. I have two Lhasa Apsos, a brother and sister--one litter separated. I am contemplating having both put down before we move in the future (uncertain date). It's not something I want to do and it will bring me a lot of heartache, but I thought I share my thoughts with you and get some feedback.

My babies are nearing 12 years of age, both neutered/spayed; the male has bitten several times, and continues to attempt biting. When he bites, he doesn't let go. Both of us have suffered severe bites from him. He has also bitten his groomer, and it surprises me that she continues to groom him. I warned her when I made the grooming apppointment that he bites and I would understand if she didn't want to groom him; she appreciated knowing this and groomed him anyway. I authorized using a muzzle when she is working on him. He growls and snarls at us most of the time, it seems to be his only way of communicating. We ALWAYS keep our hands out of his reach, always keep an eye out for his sudden moves. The ONLY time he is routinely affectionate is close to feeding time, he's our No. 1 buddy then, but as soon as he's fed, he resumes his "normal" behavior. There are a few times when he becomes affectionate, but it certainly is not the norm and short lived. He is an obsessiver licker--when he's in his kennel, he licks the sides; he licks the carpet; he licks the floor; he licks and licks and licks. When he's nervous, like at the vet, then he's affectionate - and that's all the vet sees, probably doesn't believe us when we say the male has a Jeckyl & Hyde personality (perhaps he's manic-depressive, can dogs have that?). He's also begining to have problems with holding his poop. He's always been a "clean" dog, never soiled his kennel, even as a young pup; in fact, when he went outside as a pup, he tried to cover his poop like a cat -- it was cute!

The female is affectionate, at least with us and others - she's a lap dog. However, she and her brother fight, her more viciously than him - and she starts every fight. He always wins due to having size and weight over her, but she never gives up. She will bite him and hold on until he can get away and then pin her down, but she never gives up, she'll get right back up and get into his face - I have to call her off. Her nasty habit is she likes to eat poop - never been able to break her of it. Many times, afterwards she vomits it back - it's a true pleasure to clean this mess! They were raised together, and as much as she fights with him, he still presents a security blanket for her when she's nervous, like during a thunderstorm. But trust me, the male keeps an eye on her--he never challenges her!

They really weren't this bad when they were younger. Oh, the fights happened, but the female has gotten meaner with the male as she aged. The male bites and growls more than he did when he was younger. We adopted a 2+ year old neutered chihuahua mix a little more than a year ago, and all three adjusted well. The female has nipped the adopted male, but nothing serious, just letting him know she's the boss and he gives her a wide berth. The two males get along okay, they haven't had a fight, the younger male will growl at the older male when the older male tries to hump him; neither male has challenged the other, they mostly keep an eye on the female.

I know this almost sounds comical, but it's life with these three! Since we are looking at moving at some time in the future I thought about having my older two euthanized. I am afraid if I euthanize the older male, my female may turn on my adoptee, sensing she's the true boss. He is the pure definition of sweetness, and I couldn't let her hurt him. He still has some scars from something that happened early in his life, I don't know his history, but he's super sweet, gentle, and gives us true unconditional love. He has brought a lot of happiness to both of us.

I don't know how I will be able to handle the guilt that I know will come with this should I proceed. I can keep going like we have, warning everyone who comes into contact with the male Lhasa that he bites; ending the fights between brother and sis; and cleaning up more messes - because I genuinely love both dogs, they are my babies. Maybe some of you have some experience with this type of dilemma or Lhasas in general. I had another Lhasa years ago who was my baby, he passed away of natural causes and I still miss him - I know Lhasas are independent and can have strong personalities. I wanted to get some feedback from those of you who continued to read this post to the end. Please share your thoughts with me and help me decide what to do. Thanks so much for your time and help.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
1st have you had the male checked to see why his pooping habits have changed?

2nd IF you were not Moving would you still be thinking of doing this?

3rd Dogs have not changed in 12 yrs .... Why do you think changing homes will make them better [one can hope] or worse.

4th IF these were 2 legged kids that had behavior problems & you were moving would you leave them behind??

Old 08-22-2008, 03:01 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,464,803 times
I agree with Katie...your first step should be to have the male checked out. There could be a whole boat load of reasons for his change in toilet habits and his behavior.
You say your female is affectionate and a lap dog. WhY would you put her down because there may be a potential problem?
Only you know your dogs and of course, ultimately, it is you who are cleaning up the messes. But,please, think this thru thouroughly before acting. JMO

Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 49,159 times
Some dogs are just prone to mental illnesses. I feel your pain completely! I have a Mastiff mixed male that I love to pieces, but he's getting out of control and at this point we had to tie him to a tree because he and our little Shiba Inu mixed female were digging out and causing havoc in the neighborhood. We let this go on for 4 months too long. Animal control got involved after a vindictive neighbor accused us of letting our dogs loose to "attack" her. Neither dogs bite (thank goodness), but who knows if with the wrong situations were to happen, like someone rushing at them to hit them, what the dogs would do to defend themselves.

Biting is definitely a terrible habit. If your male were to bite the wrong person and they press charges he will be put down anyways. You simply have to do what you feel is right in your heart.

Similarly I'm getting ready to move out of state (again) and I dont think my mastiff can come with me so I'll likely be giving him up in the coming weeks. It's sad, but as much as you love these animals like they are your own children sometimes things just don't work out that way.

As for the female I think she will be fine with the chihuahua. She doesn't sound aggressive and she will eventually get used to her brother not being around and seek out the other male for companionship.

Please don't feel guilty with whatever decision you decide to make. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:34 PM

303 posts, read 1,387,877 times
And why can you not look for homes for them? You just want to jump into putting them down?

Things like eating poop and fighting? These are normal dog traits we are talking about. You obviously do NOT need to own any dogs!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,058,335 times
Do you keep him kenneled all the time?

If he's pooping in his kennel, are you taking him out and making sure that he's exercised and has gone to the bathroom before kenneling him?

The licking behavior sounds like anxiety. Does he get any exercise? Does he have toys in his kennel?

On reflection, I do remember that the Shih-tzu that I once had licked alot, too. The licking that you describe may be something common to the breed.

Biting a groomer who's pulling on all that long hair... to me, that's almost understandable. Even gentle dogs will nip when you hurt them.
How would you like it if someone was pulling your hair and you couldn't make them stop? Do you keep him brushed or is he full of matts when he goes to be groomed?

BTW- where are you when the dog is eating poop? Why don't you stop her? Sounds like these dogs are left alone - alot...

Still, I'll never understand why people adopt more animals when they've already got other dogs that they're having problems with.

Poor dogs.

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-22-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Hi Everyone -- I thought this would be the best place to get some advice on a subject not many like to talk about - euthanizing our beloved pets. I ..... I am contemplating having both put down ......

....the male has bitten several times, and continues to attempt biting. When he bites, he doesn't let go. Both of us have suffered severe bites from him. He has also bitten his groomer, ......
I wouldn't hesitate to put him down.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
I Disagree with you Dave...She has put up with this for 12 long years...whats a few more.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Hi Everyone -- I thought this would be the best place to get some advice on a subject not many like to talk about - euthanizing our beloved pets. I ..... I am contemplating having both put down ......

....the male has bitten several times, and continues to attempt biting. When he bites, he doesn't let go. Both of us have suffered severe bites from him. He has also bitten his groomer, ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to put him down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I Disagree with you Dave...She has put up with this for 12 long years...whats a few more.
"What's a few more?" Potential for a lot more bites, which is unacceptable behavior, especially since she already admits several have been severe.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,515,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
1st have you had the male checked to see why his pooping habits have changed?

Yes, more than one, and the diagnosis is he's getting older and losing control.

2nd IF you were not Moving would you still be thinking of doing this?

Again, yes, but moving does increase the dogs' stress levels. I don't like being afraid of when my dog will next bite! It's not a question of IF but of WHEN.

3rd Dogs have not changed in 12 yrs .... Why do you think changing homes will make them better [one can hope] or worse.

Yes, they have changed, their behavoirs have gotten worse as they age. It's not the "new" home, but there will be more people about, walking the dogs in a more populated environment, etc. I can't risk my dog biting a stranger.

4th IF these were 2 legged kids that had behavior problems & you were moving would you leave them behind??
Please don't judge me - these are my babies, I've never had the two-legged variety, only my fur-kids.

You seem to be awfully quick to judge, I've probably spent more money and time with my furkids than most do for the two-legged variety. I've been through surgeries and other canine problems. I spend a lot on vet bills to make sure my kids are healthy, not to mention what I've spent on grooming charges over the years. I have had other dogs over the years and have loved each them with all my heart and NEVER, EVER have I had to euthanize one! It's not a decision I make lightly, as I said I'm looking for advice - so please leave your judgemental attitude elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs