Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,319,382 times

Advertisements

Brian I did Not think you would shot anyone....but thought while you were so upset you Might! I do hope Some of our ideas help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 06:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You can try making friends with the dog. He sees you as a threat because he dont know you. You make friends and he knows you and he will never bother you again unless his tail is wagging.

But the dog owner should be fencing him in if he is chasing people. Shame on him the most.
This is nuts. A person should NEVER approach an aggressive dog as OP described and try to 'make friends'. You shouldn't even approach a friendly looking dog (unless invited by the owner and with much caution) much less one that is acting aggressive.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:45 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,437,191 times
Unfortunately, it's dog owners like this that can not be reasoned with! I now carry a very large walking stick with me, along with mace at the end of my leash.
Last year, DH, Dylan and I were off for a walk. We had left Mia behind as she had just had surgery. I had Dylan...and my husband had just pointed out something on a new house that was being built...so I had turned around. From behind me, out of no where comes this huge boxer....and goes after Dylan. I kicked at the dog, because he was on Dylan's back, biting into his neck. The dog then very quickly turned on me. Thank god I had long jeans on...because that is all he got when he bit...but literally dragged me down. DH picked up a 2x4 off the construction site and started swinging and got the boxer on the side....He ran off about 20 yds...and continued to growl. Dylan placed himself inbetween us...and growled...As DH is helping me off the ground...we look up and a guy is standing in a driveway watching the whole thing. Never once did I think he was the owner, because he was doing NOTHING! The dog started to advance again...and we're trying to back down the street...and the guy calls the dog! Dog, of course, doesn't come...but keeps advancing. DH is furious...says a few choice words to the guy about controling his dog...and the dog comes at us again. DH yells I'm going to kill the so-so dog if he attacks us again. With that...the guy says you hurt my dog and I'll call the cops! The one freaking time, neither one of us have a phone on us! We told the guy...please call! Of course, he wasn't about too. He continued to call the dog and the dog ran off into a empty field.
When we get home....we call the police and tell them to come to our house and we will show them the house...Neither one of us new the address. Cops show...we lead them to the house.. Turns out...house is empty! This guy must have been just looking at the house to maybe buy and turned the dog loose.
If DH had not been there with me that day...or it had been a small child...that dog was out for blood....It wasn't just a little dog quarrel...He meant business! Dylan is a big guy...but, let's face it...He'a Golden Ret! Defiantely a lover, not a fighter!
This guy was completely oblivious to that fact that his dog meant to harm us! I just got the feeling he was one of these macho idiots who loved to see his dog fight!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,942,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
This is nuts. A person should NEVER approach an aggressive dog as OP described and try to 'make friends'. You shouldn't even approach a friendly looking dog (unless invited by the owner and with much caution) much less one that is acting aggressive.
I agree. Who in their proper mind is going to do that? If the dog he is describing as being that aggressive enough that BrianH is thinking of using a weapon to protect his family, I really don't think "making friends" with the dog is smart. NCyank, Thank you for saying it! I didn't want to seem like I'm a bad person. Let's just give BrianH his space on making a difficult decision and not suggest silly things like "make friends" as an option to an already aggressive dog with a owner who doesn't care about his dog nor human life.

Obviously, BrianH has thought this through. And I respect his decision, may it be extreme, but the right one. It's a tough decision for him. Tasers and cattle prods may not incompacitate an agressive dog. But more importantly....HIS FAMILY COMES FIRST! Not the welfare of an aggressive dog. I'm sure he knows the gun laws there in NM. My in-laws "carry" everywhere they go in NM.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:16 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
Alot of people carry in OC brikag, guns arent as big an issue in NM as many parts of the country. Katie I wouldnt shoot a person unless attacked and put in the situation.
IF my dog got out and somebody felt that their life was in danger and they shot him, I would be upset but understand the situation they were in. Its my fault my dog gets out afterall, not theres. I would put them in the situation, nobody else. Same as that dumb owner with that dog.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:28 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,050,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
I agree. Who in their proper mind is going to do that? If the dog he is describing as being that aggressive enough that BrianH is thinking of using a weapon to protect his family, I really don't think "making friends" with the dog is smart. NCyank, Thank you for saying it! I didn't want to seem like I'm a bad person. Let's just give BrianH his space on making a difficult decision and not suggest silly things like "make friends" as an option to an already aggressive dog with a owner who doesn't care about his dog nor human life.

Obviously, BrianH has thought this through. And I respect his decision, may it be extreme, but the right one. It's a tough decision for him. Tasers and cattle prods may not incompacitate an agressive dog. But more importantly....HIS FAMILY COMES FIRST! Not the welfare of an aggressive dog. I'm sure he knows the gun laws there in NM. My in-laws "carry" everywhere they go in NM.
Sorry. It's not the right one.

Just what we need is a bunch of dog owners shooting other people's dogs.

His family could walk a different route. Contact the owner. Contact Animal Control... And let the law take care of it.

They know that the dog is there.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
There is only one route to the playground, and I will never change my lifestyle because of an irresponsible dog owner.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,942 times
Hmm you guys need an Animal Precinct Unit, like the ones on TV. You should still file a complaint so there is a record of this dog, so that when something does happen they will have more proof to back up fining the owner or taking the dog away. Yes, get pepper spray, that sounds like your best bet until something else can happen.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,675,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Why not? Some of us are good with dogs. Some of us can approach a snarling growling dog and within a few minutes gain their trust and have them on their back begging for you to rub their bellies. I do it all the time. It's actually quite easy if you know how.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Why not? Some of us are good with dogs. Some of us can approach a snarling growling dog and within a few minutes gain their trust and have them on their back begging for you to rub their bellies. I do it all the time. It's actually quite easy if you know how.
Me too! I bet I could befriend that dog by Brian! My friends call me the dog whisperer too! I was the one who went into the kennel at the shelter to collar and leash the dog to bring it out. The head of my rescue group would never do it. Dogs know who to trust. They have that sense. Plus I have no fear. Just recently I got out of my car at 3am when I saw a black pitbull laying on the side of the rode. Stopped my car, got out and said come here baby....she did and tried to get in my car but she was tooo fat...so I lifted her butt up and in and found her home the next morning...right where she was laying...she had jumped the fence! Me scared...nope! I actually have had stray dogs follow me back to my house and go in the gate! I picked many up off the streets and never had a problem and I had no idea about any of the dogs history. Maybe I have been lucky or better yet someone is watching over me when doing my good deeds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs