Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:50 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times

Advertisements

I am not about to risk my arm going up to a growing snarling dog. Rule of thumb (commons sence) tells me me not to approach that kind of dog, or touch any dog without owners being around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,943,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Sorry. It's not the right one.

Just what we need is a bunch of dog owners shooting other people's dogs.

His family could walk a different route. Contact the owner. Contact Animal Control... And let the law take care of it.

They know that the dog is there.
Sorry, WC

Neither you or I have the right answer. BrianH does! He said in the begining that the AC are spred thin. The owner has not and will not care, as expressed by BrianH. We do not have the answers. BrianH does. He was looking for support. He got it from me.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Good luck Brian! As much as I hate the thought of a dog suffering because of his uncaring owers, you have every right to protect yourself and your family. It is just a matter of time, before this dog hurts someone seriously.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
You should defend yourself no problems with that. Sorry for the dog but as the post said - "stupid dog owners".

I would go ahead and make sure your communications are in writing with animal control are documented and copy the letter to all the insurance agencies in town. They may have more leverage with the homeowner than anybody. I would also send a letter to the dog owner. That way if you do have to do something, you can show your tried to resolve the issue through the appropriate channels.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,051,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Sorry, WC

Neither you or I have the right answer. BrianH does! He said in the begining that the AC are spred thin. The owner has not and will not care, as expressed by BrianH. We do not have the answers. BrianH does. He was looking for support. He got it from me.
Sorry, brikag,

I am supporting him. I'm trying to be the voice of reason.

According to his post, he has made no contact with the owner. Neither has he tried to work it out by peaceful means.

If New Mexico is like you guys describe it, what is stopping the owner of the dog from shooting him?

I have one additional comment... I've learned about dog laws the hard way. I know that irresponsible owners cause most of our problems...

When I was dealing with the thing that I went through, I got a lot of information from a different boards and groups that are working against BSL. From my dealings with different groups, I hate to say it, but I can understand why people have such a bad taste in their mouths about many dog breeds and their owners.

Everything that dog owners do effects all dog owners in today's climate.

If only people who care about THEIR dogs would understand that.

Peace out,

WC

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-25-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 02:21 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,033 times
Please do try to contact the owner to see if you can resolve this issue. I realize there are a lot of ignorant people out there, but sometimes letting people know you mean business is enough to take care of the issue. Let the owner know that their dog is harrassing you and your family, that you fear for their safety and will do what ever it takes to protect your family within the confines of the law.

I can understand how scary and aggrivating this situation is and can understand how a person's anger can grow under these circumstances, but I think it would be good to try the least severe intervention first before escalating this to involving guns. God forbid someone other than the intended target gets hit.

I can appreciate your committment to keeping your family safe, but again I think there are things that can be done before resorting to bringing your gun into this.

I also disagree with trying to make friends with the dog. Any dog who is that territorial and aggressive is not going to change his toon fast, especially with tresspassing strangers. This dog sounds very unsocialized and is probably not going to take kindly to a tummy rub by a stranger. With that being said, I have picked dogs up on the street too if I see a stray and the dog is open to being picked up. If they don't seem friendly or open to me approaching, then I leave it to the professionals. I love dogs but I am not going to put myself in that position. It only takes one bad experience to cure you of that romantic notion that all dogs are friendly at the core. Dogs are animals and have their own unique culture, values, and ways about them that we don't always understand. They have their good days and bad days like us. I agree with another poster about not even approaching dogs with their owners unless you ask and then use caution. Not all owners define friendly or well behaved in the same way and dogs aren't always in the mood to meet new people or new dogs. Stay alert and you wont get hurt.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,983,838 times
Some of you are going to get bit with your cockiness and I can't say that I would be upset about it.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:05 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Not me! Animal lovers and Rescuers are the least cocky as you say! We are bull headed when it comes to standing up for, protecting and speaking for the ones who cannot! We can approach a strange dog in ways other people cannot...call it an aura of trust that we expel towards them! Whatever it is, we were born with it and it works! Most men do not have it! Might have to do with a lower IQ thing!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,943,688 times
Well BrianH is not born with it I guess. You'll have to ask him about his IQ, though Blondie.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
MODERATOR:

Okay, as I understand it, BrianH said he was blowing off steam and looking for suggestions...this isn't the place to start a debate on IQ or whatever...let's hold this to constructive suggestions on how to best handle the situation, okay? Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs