Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,962,029 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old German Shepherd that weighs 110 lbs. You need to play with them or walk them every day if you can. Mine will get restless if he sits around all day with nothing exciting going on. If I don't walk him, I usually have to throw the ball or wrestle with him for a while or else he will verbalize his frustration with me. Try watching TV while your dog is staring at you, blowing out air and moaning.
This is my first German Shepherd, and he is by far the smartest dog I've ever owned. He knows a lot of words, and he knows most of his toys by name. I can say "Where's ______?", and he will look for that toy and pass up other ones. I can say "Get the paper", and he will go to the door to be let out. He grabs my newspaper and brings it back to me. He is also very protective of my wife and usually puts himself between her and others while on walks. Me? Not so much.
The only downside that I have found with his breed is that they are little whiners. If they are frustrated or excited, you will hear a high-pitch whine noise. Mine gets too excited about going somewhere in the car, and he whines the entire time we're driving. Luckily, the dog park is pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
My dads GSD is a squeeker too,
my Dobe TALKS mumble, groan grumble, kind of talks...
but the GDS squeeks lol.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
OK....they are big...does anyone sleep with there GSD or let them up on the bed?
She was taught to by the first owners.
I never have with a big dog...is it a no-no or is it fine and you bond more?
I think I may be talking to people that live alone, tho. haha.
Does it turn them into softies?....I mean human?
I was told to keep her a 'dog'.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
my rule for on the bed is "if I invite you" and "get off when I tell you"
allowing a dog to "claim" furniture as their own can cause behavioural issues, but as long as theres boundries in place and rules to be followed Ive never personally had an issue with it...
I don't find it helps bond any more or less (I find training/walking/spending general time together does that) But I Do love snuggling with my babies on the ouch and bed.
I don't sleep with my dobe in the bed BUT that ONLY beause shes a bed hog..how a 75lb dog can take up as much space as she manages to I don't know...I have a queen sized bed and she not only manages to steal about 3/4 of it shes also a blanket and pillow hog lol.

but if im just laying around reading a book or watching a movie they all get to come snuggle on the bed as long as rules are obeyed.
general rules being no rough housing, no growling at eachother, and if I ask them to move they do so immediately.

dads gsd doesn't go upstairs she sleeps downstairs where shes beter able to do her job as early warning defence system, but she does get lots of couch snuggle time.

I do however suggest starting as you mean to go on...don't share your bed with a new dog the first week then expect them to slepe on the floor or in a crate....get them used to the preferred sleeping place FIRST then allow on the bed/couch/whatever as a once in a while treat...its much easier then if you cant have them share the ebd one night for whatever reason.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,962,029 times
I have a second dog bed upstairs next to my bed. I don't want hair all over my sheets.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:23 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,768,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OK....they are big...does anyone sleep with there GSD or let them up on the bed?
She was taught to by the first owners.
I never have with a big dog...is it a no-no or is it fine and you bond more?
I think I may be talking to people that live alone, tho. haha.
Does it turn them into softies?....I mean human?
I was told to keep her a 'dog'.
Depends on the owner and the dog. As long as the dog knows the owner is in charge and respects the owner it's fine. My 2 GSDs sleep on the bed. It's a king size so there's room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs