Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,487,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Both the Humane Society of the U.S., HSUS, and Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah, have rapid response rescue workers, and both are 4-star charities. A friend of mine who stole a canoe and rescued people and animals when New Orleans flooded said that Best Friends did a great job there.
Louisiana SPCA also does great work and is a 4-star charity.
Good for your friend, and anyone else who jumps in to help.
Same for Oregon Humane Society (out of Portland), Pasado's Safe Haven in Washington...each have national emergency rescue teams and were very active in the rescue of animals during and after Hurricane Katrina. Both have plans in place for Ike. I know that what they are capable is not even close to being enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Surely most people can spare something for a tax-deductible donation, and some of us can afford more than a little something.
Most of these organizations survive on the $25.00 donations, even less. Every little bit helps, and bellestaroftexas, I, too, can think of a few "sports heroes" who can afford a lot more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,679,158 times
Reporting now...MSNBC.....hundreds of dogs were picked up in Houston alone that were abandoned in the storm...they will repeat the segment so keep the channel on. Such a shame!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,942,056 times
i just watched a report where a woman had crated her dogs and left. she came back to find them drowned in their crate. the stupidity of those people is beyond me! what chance did they have? when you live far away from being able to help out, it is just horrible to hear these kind of stories. i pray that people in the area who can help the animals do so, and i will do the same in my area when it is needed.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:46 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,318,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i just watched a report where a woman had crated her dogs and left. she came back to find them drowned in their crate. the stupidity of those people is beyond me! what chance did they have? when you live far away from being able to help out, it is just horrible to hear these kind of stories. i pray that people in the area who can help the animals do so, and i will do the same in my area when it is needed.

Me, I'd slap that heifer if she was anywhere near me. I can't even bare to think about it.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:51 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,548,164 times
OMG-I can't understand the stupidity of some people!!!!! That lady should be crated and left to drown herself. POS!!!!!!

I would NEVER NEVER leave my cat or animals I had during a storm. They are my family and they go with me no matter what!!!! I donate all the time to Humane Soceity and Best Friends. I even have CC's for the HSUS through BOA.

I honestly care more about animals than I do people.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM

18,741 posts, read 33,468,225 times
Hey, if everyone would pick a couple of spots and causes to contribute to, most things would be solved. You just pick your spots and do what you can.
Except for veterans and some international relief groups, I let other people give to the people. I'll take the animals and some environmental causes.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I think that was the idiot who put them in crates in the basement! I hated to hear that too! Some people should just not own dogs!
I agree himain, put her in a friggin crate and let her drown......UGH! I better stop now before I get throw off here!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
OMG-I can't understand the stupidity of some people!!!!! That lady should be crated and left to drown herself. POS!!!!!!

I would NEVER NEVER leave my cat or animals I had during a storm. They are my family and they go with me no matter what!!!! I donate all the time to Humane Soceity and Best Friends. I even have CC's for the HSUS through BOA.

I honestly care more about animals than I do people.
So do I.....BIGTIME! All animals are good, most people are bad!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,318,182 times
I've been watching live reports on Hurricane Ike Recovery in Houston | Live Coverage & Information | FOX 26 for the last few days and today they spoke to various people from various animal shelters especially the SPCA who are doing the best they can. I had hoped people would have learned from Katrina.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM

7 posts, read 15,650 times
Default animal lover

Reverend, did you see 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'? Shackle, an 11-year-old African lioness, lies on an altar at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Beach, Texas. She and her owner waded through floodwaters to the church after they were unable to make it off Bolivar Peninsula prior to Hurricane Ike's landfall.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/n/pictures/2008/09/17/lioness11.jpg (broken link)

FIRST, WHAT IS HUMOROUS ABOUT THIS SITUATION????? WHY WOULD ANY IDIOT HAVE THIS BEAUTIFUL CREATURE AS A PET? AND THEY COULDNT GET OFF THE ISLAND????? HOW HARD DID HE TRY?????? AND ALL I CAN SE IS THIS LIONESS ESCAPING TO LOOK FOR FOOD AND BEING SHOT. IS IT ANY WONDER I PREFER THE COMPANY OF ANIMALS TO HUMANS?????????

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-21-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted image, replaced with link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs