Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 AM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,304,751 times

Advertisements

While at an animal shelter last week, there was stray female Jack Russell terrier. She was fine when it was just me walking by her kennel, but when I was walking Bandit by her, she bared her teeth and was snapping at him. He just kept his nose safely out of reach. Anyway, the experience reaffirmed my dislike of Jack Russells. They are permanently on my never never breed list. They also are too energetic for me and their high prey drive is not suitable for my cats.

Basically, any dog that is quick to show teeth like a vampire about to feed is on my never never list, especially if it's only in play. And I'm not just talking about showing a little teeth or the trembling of the upper lip, I'm objecting to their lips curled all the way back in an aggressive way. I've had a pug, two lab mixes and several small terrier mixes, and I rarely saw them baring their teeth in all the time I had them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,724,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
^^^ Wow. You've mentioned so many dogs I've never even heard of! Off to Google I go to learn more...
I do suppose some of the dogs I like are not that common, while others are.

These are some more I do like
Azorez Cattle Dog
Sage Koochee
Bully Kutta (depending on type)
Komaon Mastiff

and I'm also curious of the Vucciriscu

I'd really like to do some world travel to meet the dogs in their native countries to see what they are like there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
The mind got ahead of me there, would own both dogs, Italian Mastiff and Perro De Presa Canario.
I figured maybe something like that. I agree that both are great dogs.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,310,350 times
I would probably never have another Tibetan Terrier...hard headed!

I would have a dozen Newfoundlands if I could...mine is amazing. I would also have more Flat Coated Retrievers!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 AM

96 posts, read 561,732 times
There are only two breeds that I would ever deal wit and thats pit bull and dogo argentinio

Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM

591 posts, read 1,418,984 times
I'd have to say my list of would own would be really long lol..I love so many dif things about so many dif breeds.
There is only a few that I wouldn't own and it's not because I think they are bad breeds to own it's strictly from my own bad experiences.
A german shepherd and the only reason is I had one for two years and we don't know why but she just snapped one day and it wasn't pretty..so I'm now a tad afraid of them. I hate that too because I am such a dog lover..
St. Benard..wonderful dogs but so much to handle..
Great Dane..my sister had one and that dog drove me nuts..she bout knocked u down walking by ya lol..but she was a sweetie..just don't wanna own one..
Dogs I would own..
Pit Bull..my all time fav breed
Lab
Golden retriever
Chihuahua
I could go on but I"ll stop there..

Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,562,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, we learned something this weekend. Our friends visited us with their 90 pound golden retriever. Sweet, smart dog. I've always liked the breed.

But way too big and the tail is a menace. He just took up a lot of room, too. It's different when we saw him in the house and up next to our collie.

So we'll stick to the 50-60 pound range.

Have owned several goldens and while I love them, I have to agree about the tail! However, goldens should NOT be 90 lbs. The breed standard is: "Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; ******* 55-65 pounds". A 90 lb golden is probably not getting enough exercise which might be why he seems to take up so much space....just a thought.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,285,968 times
I am a labrador man through and through. If I couldn't own a lab I would settle for a Golden or a golden lab cross.
Dogs I would never own?
Any toy breed including the chiwawa. Terriers are also out especially the smaller breeds.
I could live with weimaraner, or a chesapeake bay retriever.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM

283 posts, read 904,303 times
I had a couple of hound dog mixes and yellow lab mixes as a kid, and they were always my favorite. Got a rottie - wonderful dog except he tended to slime me. After losing him, I ended up with another rottie. This one doesn't drool -hooray - and he's happy-do-lucky, with the wiggliest stump in town.

Since I spend a lot of time in my motorhome in RV parks, I can say I would never, in a milllion years, have any of those little yappy dog breeds. They are unpleasant and a nuisance, and they seem to have really stupid owners who don't keep them on leash, and then yell at my dog who is on a leash and sitting quietly.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,924 times
I am interested in several of the Molosser breeds. Am taking a hard look at the Sarplaninac and Slovensky Chuvach...does anyone have an idea how much a nice one would cost of both breeds. Doesn't need to be show quality, but good and if I were to purchase a Sar I would like to get a white a very light blonde, or a brindle if I had my first choice.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,488,025 times
I'm interested more in why you wouldn't own a specific breed. There's no such thing as a 'bad breed' of dog, it's all in how they're raised. So if you're deciding to not own a specific breed because they're 'mean', you're just uneducated.

So, removing the ignorance from the equation, if there is a breed you wouldn't own, why?

For me, it's the small terriers. They're high energy dogs that are very smart. I just don't have the time or the energy to keep up with a dog like that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs