Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 PM

113 posts, read 563,446 times

Advertisements

I know this is a relatively useless question, as it's hard to stereotype a dog by breed, but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to dog breeds and need some help.

I have a three year old basset hound/flat-coated retriever mix, Chloe. Picture a flat-coated retriever on basset hound legs and feet, and you've got it about right. We adopted her last January as a rescue -- I've written about it before -- she can be a snarling terror on a leash when she sees other dogs, but off leash, she is almost shy when it comes to playing, though she clearly does love having another dog around. It just takes her a minute to warm up, and she almost always plays exclusively with smaller breeds at doggy day camp.

We're considering getting another dog, as more than one knowledgeable dog-person has mentioned that she seems to be the type who would really benefit from a companion. We both work full time, but we manage it to where we're home enough to take care of her and give her plenty of walks and loves and snuggles. Still, I know she gets a bit lonely at times -- she tries to play with the cats, but one is scared of her (and birdbrained, but that's another topic altogether) and the other, my male, doesn't really like her -- he's jealous of anyone who takes away from mama's attention.

I guess my question is -- what sort of smaller breed or mix would be preferable? She doesn't play rough, and seems overwhelmed by dogs that do, preferring a bit of friendly chasing and gentle rough-housing to all-out tackles. I'd ideally like to get a dog around her age -- 2-4 years old, but would be open to older dogs. Probably not younger. Aside from her leash issues, she doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She's very nurturing. Smaller breeds tend to be more active, I think, but surely one of you has had experience with a more chill mini-canine?

Any input would be appreciated -- thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestions for a good companion dog for Chloe -- any suggestions?-new-place-001.jpg   Need suggestions for a good companion dog for Chloe -- any suggestions?-new-place-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Breed?? Why not return to where you got her & rescue anothe homeless dog? Take Cloe with you let her pic her new buddy. I sure the people there would be helpful in making the right choice.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:28 PM

113 posts, read 563,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Breed?? Why not return to where you got her & rescue anothe homeless dog? Take Cloe with you let her pic her new buddy. I sure the people there would be helpful in making the right choice.
I am planning on going to a rescue, I'm sorry, I didn't make that clear. I'm not going to a breeder -- I was just looking for input as to any advice for possible breed types to look out for.

Chloe on leash is entirely different from Chloe off leash. The rescue I got her from is run nearly entirely from foster homes with adoption days at pet stores, so there's not a cohesive location I can take her to -- and even if I could, I wouldn't, because being on leash with other dogs around stresses her out to where she is reduced to a barking snarling mess. She does fine, and is happy with other dogs off leash, however. It's just the anxiety on-leash that makes it hard.

If we find a potential dog, I would like to arrange it to bring the dog home for a day or so to see how Chloe does before making anything permanent -- many rescues will let you do that.

Again, just looking for advice.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:03 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Go to the rescues Adoption days or call the person you got her from. Ask if they have any way you can do visits in the foster homes & bring Cloe. That away shes Not meting the other dogs on her turf & they would likely have a fenced place the dogs could play. After several visits place her on leash & see what happens.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
I agree that the secret will be in letting her meet the other dogs and see who she gets along with. Most adoption places insist on that. I would consider a male as you tend to have less issues between a male and a female verses two females.As to breed, dogs are individuals so that is no guarantee.

Jazz had fear aggression issues from when I got her at 12 weeks.At 2 yrs I decided it was time to get another dog and was considering an aussie puppy as she tends to do well with most herding breeds. I decided to stop by the humane society and the shelter to see what they did have. I saw Dash who is a border collies springer spaniel and I liked him so I brought Jazz to meet him. She too is much more aggressive on leash as I think she knows she can not get away if she wants to flee. They have some small play yards so we took the two dogs in one, Jazz did not attack him instead she sniffed him and then ignored him and played with the ball that was in the grass.

I told the guy well she doesn't seem thrilled with him but she did not give him a hard time or attack him and I like him so I adopted him. On the way home we stopped at the park and did some obedience work then went down to the beach and by the time we got home I had two dogs that were now best friends. OMG They are always together and really enjoy each other.

When we did get home that first day Jazz raced through the door gathered all of her toys and stood threatening Dash " These are mine, everything here is mine, do not touch" and He got the message. He is a very submissive dog to her and he only played with toys when she would allow him too. Despite that they are best friends and today as he sneezes blood from his nasal cancer she watches with a very worried look on her face and rushes over to help him clean it up.

Just tell the rescue group what you told us and they can probably make some suggestions as to which dogs they have may do well with your dog and arrange for them to meet in a leash free environment. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 04:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather21365 View Post
I know this is a relatively useless question, as it's hard to stereotype a dog by breed, but I'm pretty stupid when it comes to dog breeds and need some help.

I have a three year old basset hound/flat-coated retriever mix, Chloe. Picture a flat-coated retriever on basset hound legs and feet, and you've got it about right. We adopted her last January as a rescue -- I've written about it before -- she can be a snarling terror on a leash when she sees other dogs, but off leash, she is almost shy when it comes to playing, though she clearly does love having another dog around. It just takes her a minute to warm up, and she almost always plays exclusively with smaller breeds at doggy day camp.

We're considering getting another dog, as more than one knowledgeable dog-person has mentioned that she seems to be the type who would really benefit from a companion. We both work full time, but we manage it to where we're home enough to take care of her and give her plenty of walks and loves and snuggles. Still, I know she gets a bit lonely at times -- she tries to play with the cats, but one is scared of her (and birdbrained, but that's another topic altogether) and the other, my male, doesn't really like her -- he's jealous of anyone who takes away from mama's attention.

I guess my question is -- what sort of smaller breed or mix would be preferable? She doesn't play rough, and seems overwhelmed by dogs that do, preferring a bit of friendly chasing and gentle rough-housing to all-out tackles. I'd ideally like to get a dog around her age -- 2-4 years old, but would be open to older dogs. Probably not younger. Aside from her leash issues, she doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She's very nurturing. Smaller breeds tend to be more active, I think, but surely one of you has had experience with a more chill mini-canine?

Any input would be appreciated -- thanks so much!
Most of the traits you're looking for aren't breed dependent but are more specific to the individual dog. I think you've answered your own question, though. Visit the doggy daycare facility and watch to see the type of dogs Chloe regularly interacts with. Note their size and personality characteristics. Talk to the staff and get their feedback. Then visit shelters and talk to rescues to see if you can find a dog of a similar size and behavior. The shelter staff should be able to advise you, and you may be able to arrange to bring Chloe with you so she can help screen her new playmate. That's the way I'd do it, anyway. Sometimes a dog just "clicks" with another dog and you'll know it right away. Good luck to you.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Usually, a male dog would be an easier transition with your female. That's not to rule out a female companion, but sometimes female-female can be tough.

Sounds like you're looking to match energy level, which is great .

Best of luck in your search, sounds like another lucky dog will have a home soon .

Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Take her to your local shelter and let her pic out her own friend! They should even have a room there where the two can spend time together to see how they get along! Save a shelter pet....so many are in desperate need of a loving home! Something most all of them never even got to experience! Does not matter what breed....a mix of anything will do as long as they bond! I was always attracted to the black ones or not so pretty ones.....the ones no one would look at twice! I knew their chance of being adopted was at the bottom of the totem pole! The real beauty comes from within! Good luck to you! I hope you find a nice buddy for your doggie!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:32 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather21365 View Post
I am planning on going to a rescue, I'm sorry, I didn't make that clear. I'm not going to a breeder -- I was just looking for input as to any advice for possible breed types to look out for.

Chloe on leash is entirely different from Chloe off leash. The rescue I got her from is run nearly entirely from foster homes with adoption days at pet stores, so there's not a cohesive location I can take her to -- and even if I could, I wouldn't, because being on leash with other dogs around stresses her out to where she is reduced to a barking snarling mess. She does fine, and is happy with other dogs off leash, however. It's just the anxiety on-leash that makes it hard.

If we find a potential dog, I would like to arrange it to bring the dog home for a day or so to see how Chloe does before making anything permanent -- many rescues will let you do that.

Again, just looking for advice.
Alot of rescue groups have their own kennel. Perhaps you could take Cloe there. You would have to ask them that question.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,703 times
I have a female Cocker Spaniel. She is such a goodd companion. We got her as a puppy and crate trained her. She is only allowed to come up on the furniture when she is asked, which is often. Dogs are only as good as the trainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs