Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,908 times

Advertisements

SeeBee I agree 100%. I would never leave my dog behind or give her up! If I had to carry all 65lbs of her through flood or whatever, she would be going where we go, she'll eat what we eat if it got to that. I know some people don't think that way about animals, but I do.

SXM that's great news! I would love to hear more about the program. It sounds like something the rescue I volunteer for would be interested in learning more about. Feel free to PM me with the information if you would rather not post it in the general forum. What a great thing. I am crossing my fingers and saying some prayers that it all works out.

They should call that dog Felix which means lucky in Latin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:55 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
I think they named the dog Bandit; it was named before I pulled out of the driveway. The rescue told me that they would be e-mailing me information about the program later this week.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Cool! You should sleep well for your good deeds!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 PM

873 posts, read 1,588,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My 16 year old neighbor found this approximately year-old dog lost on the side of a major road today. He had called the SPCA because he didn't know what to do. He was home alone and brought the dog over to see me. We took the dog to the emergency center to see if he was microchipped, but he was not. The dog had a collar but no tags.

Luckily, I have a former student who had just bought a home and had mentioned getting a dog. She and her husband have 3 small children and they decided to take the dog.

Is there anything they should know about this breed(s) that would be helpful? The dog obviously was well cared for and rode well in the car. He is affectionate and there was no growling, even when he played with my dog.

They are a young couple, whose children are 8, 3, and 1 1/2. I am paying for all expenses to get him started with them, but I want to do everything so that this goes well. They know that he will need shots and microchipping, etc. They have a fenced yard and a dog house was left by a previous owner; however, I know that this will be a house dog.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I am not overly informed on the boxer. But the pit on the other hand is a great animal companion....IF properly treated. These dogs have been given such a bad rap due to the creeps who train them to fight.

Do a google search on both breeds. I know many pits due to my association with someone who rescues pits. They are very loving and kind animals if treated properly. I think the new owners will find this to be one awesome friend/companion given the love and care and affection that the poor guy deserves. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidahomom View Post
I am not overly informed on the boxer. But the pit on the other hand is a great animal companion....IF properly treated. These dogs have been given such a bad rap due to the creeps who train them to fight.

Do a google search on both breeds. I know many pits due to my association with someone who rescues pits. They are very loving and kind animals if treated properly. I think the new owners will find this to be one awesome friend/companion given the love and care and affection that the poor guy deserves. Good luck.
Agreed, out of all the dogs I pulled out of the kill shelter the pits were always the sweetest. One was always sweeter than the other. I would never think twice when I went in to leash them and take them out of that pound. Others I was a little apprehensive sometimes. But in the end an animal can sense who and who not to trust. I remember many times passing by the kennel doors with the dogs that would kill me if the kennel door were to open, only to spend 5 minutes talking to them and giving them a treat would they back down...poor dogs. Those were the ones too far gone and left behind to be put down. And most were not pitbulls but other mixed breeds! Sooooo sad and sickening what people turn a wonderful animal into!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Agreed, out of all the dogs I pulled out of the kill shelter the pits were always the sweetest. One was always sweeter than the other. I would never think twice when I went in to leash them and take them out of that pound. Others I was a little apprehensive sometimes. But in the end an animal can sense who and who not to trust. I remember many times passing by the kennel doors with the dogs that would kill me if the kennel door were to open, only to spend 5 minutes talking to them and giving them a treat would they back down...poor dogs. Those were the ones too far gone and left behind to be put down. And most were not pitbulls but other mixed breeds! Sooooo sad and sickening what people turn a wonderful animal into!

I couldn't agree more. It's sad the way some people view them due to all the media hype. If people would just become informed, it would sure help these dogs.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 132,357 times
I just wanted to add that pits can be a little tougher on their toys than other breeds. Petsmart has a line of toys that are guaranteed not to be destroyed and they aren't much more expensive than other toys. For mine I've purchased the green and white ropes that have the dental flouride and the blue balls that they sell which don't fall apart. They are made of some type of strong rubber that the dogs can't rip apart. She loves the softer toys but they are no match for her energy level. I end up picking up the pieces of stuffing everywhere after about 10 min with her

Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinab99 View Post
I just wanted to add that pits can be a little tougher on their toys than other breeds. Petsmart has a line of toys that are guaranteed not to be destroyed and they aren't much more expensive than other toys. For mine I've purchased the green and white ropes that have the dental flouride and the blue balls that they sell which don't fall apart. They are made of some type of strong rubber that the dogs can't rip apart. She loves the softer toys but they are no match for her energy level. I end up picking up the pieces of stuffing everywhere after about 10 min with her
Thanks for that tip!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
You can also do a search here and see if the dog is listed:

Pets 911 - Lost and found Dogs and Cats - Find Lost Pets at Pets 911 (http://www.pets911.com/index.php - broken link)

Old 10-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinab99 View Post

Excellent point! I forgot about that - we only use Kongs, Galleleo bones, and some of the Nylabones products (which I think we stopped buying because of the plastics issue). My dog can shred a toy in minutes if it's not tough and that gets expensive.

Anyone know if there are health issues associated with some of the dog toys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs