Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,542,176 times

Advertisements

Look at some purebred rescue groups and look at charges there. Many private rescues average 250.00. Also many rescue railroads out there that will help get a dog transported to you if it is coming out of a kill shelter. They pay the fee's to get them out and arrange transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,917,844 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
it all depends on the individual rescue.
We started out going through a rescue and then the rescue actually asked us to save a pup in the pound they couldn't get their hands on, which we thought was wonderful of them(proves they love the dog and not the money!!!!!).
My heart goes out to the pound puppies stuck in concrete cages w/ three walks a day. What a rescue often does is get that dog back on track before you adopt it. Pounds can mess w/ a dogs brain, especially if they are high drive dogs! So a rescue swoops in, does the "puppy rehab"(so to speak) and then you get a somewhat well rounded dog. I think they should charge more for the "rehab" some of these dogs go through. They are "trying the dog out" for lack of better words.
We put out a ton of energy getting our dog stable after being in the pound.
I think both have the dog at heart BUT one is system run and the other is private.
It then depends on how much effort you want to put out.
hope that helps!

Consider your circumstances. Personally, If we go through the pound, I need a dog younger then 6 months(less chance of abuse and trauma) because I will never have the amount of time I had when we got our pound puppy! If we go through a rescue, I will go with a older dog 6 months or older that has been in a loving foster up until we take it.

=)
Hi Kelly,
You brought up some very good points. The puppy I am hoping to adopt is only 10 weeks old. They could not have had her very long so I don't agree with the shelters reply that their $250 so called donation fee is to offet the cost of food & medical expenses.
I will keep searching the pounds. Maybe I will tell this specific rescue my true feelings about this fee. I just don't think it's fair.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,315,759 times
Have you asked why the spay/neuter is not included? After working rescue for several years I find that odd.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Question 10 week old puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Have you asked why the spay/neuter is not included? After working rescue for several years I find that odd.
Yes, I did ask. The puppy I want to adopt is only 10 weeks old, so I thought they would tell me to bring her back when she is older or give me some type of voucher. Instead they replied : our vet does not do puppys that young, so no it does not include the neuter. There are low cost options that we will tell you about if you adopt.

I'm still wondering how did a 10 week old puppy rack up $250 worth of food & medical bills Don't they keep puppys with Mama until they are 6-8 weeks old?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:02 PM

here are cost of a bloodhoud rescue;

Purebred Puppies 6 months and under - $450 + $150 spay/neuter deposit (if applicable)
Purebred Puppies 7 months to 2 years - $300
Purebred Dogs 3 years to 6 years - $250
Purebred Senior Dogs 7 years and older - $150
Mixed Breed Puppies 6 months and under - $400 + $150 spay/neuter deposit (if applicable)
Mixed Breed Puppies & Dogs 7 months to 6 years - $250
Mixed Breed Senior Dogs 7 years and older - $150

Old 10-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Question Dog people-I need your advice here

I need more advice please......What should I be looking for in the pre-adoption phase? Here's what they are giving me for the $250 fee for a 10 week old mixed breed puppy. No spaying or neutering included. But they offer a discount when the dog is old enough.

Our Adoption fee is a tax-deductible donation of $250 to help offset our food and medical costs. All puppies are up to date with their booster shots, have Bordatella vaccinations, have been de-wormed, have been to the vet at least twice and will have a current Health Clearance prior to being adopted. All dogs will be microchipped and registered to you at no cost and we will also include 30 days of Health Insurance for the pup.

To all the dog experts (you really do offer a ton of knowledge on this forum) is this a "good deal" or am I being taken by a rescue that is making money off me ? How do I background check the Rescue group? They made me fill out a very detailed application. Do you think I could offer them less money for the puppy?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,924,066 times
As has been noted by others, true rescues do not receive funds from the state or federal government. If the rescue you are working with is a 501(c)(3) registered non-profit, their financial statements are public record and they cannot legally make a profit. They depend on private donations. Most pull dogs from shelters, many accept owner surrenders. Dogs that are surrendered often have medical and behavioral problems that are unknown or undisclosed that have to be treated. It is almost impossible for a rescue that handles many dogs to charge an adoption fee/donation that only covers the costs for that specific dog. Instead, rescues usually set their fees to cover the average costs of processing their dogs, so while a pup like yours didn't individually accrue $250 of treatment costs, other dogs in their program probably cost the rescue hundreds of dollars more. This is not a rip-off. Think of your local shopping mall: every store you patronize has a different mark-up on each item based on popularity and turnover. The store needs to make a certain amount of money to cover their costs and remain in business and they calculate that mark-up over all their merchandise unequally, just like your rescue probably does.

What to do?

Ask them if they are a 501(c)(3).
If they are, ask to see their form 990 and look at their financial reports.
Check to see if they have a paid staff.
If they aren't, ask them how they come up with their fee, and ask them if they have any paid staff.
Ask them how many dogs they rescue in a year.
Ask them how much money they spend on average for each dog.
Ask them how they decide what dogs to accept into their program and what dogs they turn away.

In the end, if your decision is all about the how much you will pay for the dog, perhaps you should look at another option. As others may have pointed out, pet ownership isn't cheap. By working with a good rescue, you are not just getting a dog. You are supporting a group of dedicated people who work hard to save the lives of dogs that otherwise might die. Rescue people are generally focused on making enough money to cover their costs and take in more dogs. You can't do that if you don't have some money in the bank to pay vets (many of whom require payment at the time of service) and reimburse volunteers for out-of-pocket expenses. (Many rescue volunteers actually donate food and other costs rather than have the rescue reimburse them.)

I have to disclose to you that I have a bias in favor of rescues, since I work closely with one. However, I do think that everyone should investigate the background of the rescue that they are thinking of dealing with. The one you are working with sounds fine to me, but I always say it's good to trust, then verify.

Best wishes

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,288,202 times
Are you looking for a specific breed? Sadly it is true, parts of the south is of a different mindset when it comes to S/N. We have so many lab/lab mix, pit/pit mix and beagle mix puppies at our local shelter it is sad. They make the ppl sign a statement they will have the dog S/N and even offer them a discount to do this but no one checks to be sure it is done. Then they wonder why the shelter is full of young dogs. GRRRR

If the rescue is touchy about answering questions then I would be concerned. All rescues I have dealt with require a home visit. Even out of state rescues will search for someone to do a home visit. The wiemaraner rescue in my area charges more for young puppies because most dogs turned into shelters are at least a year old or older. They do have all their shots, HW tested and S/N.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM

If they do not have a big form to fill out and do home visit from someone beware! Question the rescue all you can if they hesitate walk away. When I did Katrina Rescue all dogs were given away but we ourselves picked up the vetting and such ourselves. We put 2 through heartworm treatments and got a deal but still 1500.00 out of our pocket. I always got the problem ones that were super shy and abused, mangie and such.
I told you in pm about one rescue that never said a word about money and the day before pickup said 350.00 when rescue worked with all others were 250.00 and she was in a real rush to get rid of dog. RED FLAG there dog most likely stolen. Contact other rescue groups in area and ask about rescue looking into most are honest and up front and will tell good from bad as we all want to save animals and get them in good homes. I still do follow up visits on dogs adopted out up here and they require monthly updates first year and every 6 months after with pictures.You do not have to just look in your area as rescue railroad will help get animals to new homes.

If certain breed or size/age wanted ask a local rescue and they can contact other rescues for you also or give you contacts that may have what looking for.
I have helped transport animals that went from Georgia to Minnesota and such so they will get them to you. If find a rescue group can call animal shelter in area from also see if they have concerns about them or ask them what vet they use and contact info. Call say looking at such and such dog/puppy from this rescue what do you think of the rescue and the animal. Do they use you alot and keep animals up to date on vaccinations. Have you heard any problems with anyone asociated with this rescue. So far today had 43 emails on transports of animals pulled from kill shelters going to rescues. I have had some emails on bad rescues and individuals they post not to let have animals.

If unsure you can always try fostering animals it is hard when they go but knowing saved a life is great and never know you may be final adopter.

Again if want to ask more PM or email me and will try to get you what want.

One more thing on cost is keeps away many that will use for baiting fighting dogs and such and insure animal is going to someone willing to put money into them if a problem arises after the adoption. We had 1 adoptee that adopted a older golden that was heartworm positive and had testicular cancer. They treated heartworm TWICE and their vet charged 2 grand each time plus the surgery to remove cancer.

Whatever you decide please send pictures and updates.
Kurt

Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,529,663 times
Great advice on this thread so far .

I'll add this.....

How comfortable are you in selecting a fit dog? People go to rescue groups for all different reasons and one reason is that the dogs have been pre-selected for you. If someone is new to dogs, I think that can be a real benefit.

On the other hand, if you've had dogs before and you're confident in your ability to select a sound dog, then you should be fine going to the city shelter and choosing a dog. The dogs at the pound are generally not going to be shown in the best light, but you can take the dog from the kennel and spend some time together in the yard and make a good judgement on the dog.

I've never gone through a rescue group - purebred or otherwise - I've always gotten my dogs from the dog pound or off the street. Some of them were in less than optimal shape when they came to me and some of them were adults or juveniles. I've never regretted one of them, they've been great dogs .

Here in the South, things are reaching desperate proportions for the dogs and cats . With Florida's high foreclosure rate, people are dumping their animals off at kill shelters in rapid numbers...the situation is dire . I love what rescue groups do, but the dogs sitting in kill shelters right are on a fast track to euthanization, so if you can go this route, it would be awesome .

Best of luck whichever way you go....with all the thought you're putting into it, I'm sure that lucky dog is out there for you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs