Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,451,198 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about Bil-Jac because of the corn, but one very good thing about it is that when put in water, it doesn't blow up to twice its size like regular kibble. It just turns to powder. For people who have large, deep-chested dogs prone to bloat this could be important. Does anyone know of other brands of kibble that don't enlarge when they get wet (like w/ stomach acid or water the dog drinks)? ( Yes, I know feeding raw would avoid this issue.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
ever since the dog food poison scare I tried to go to Ori jen but now the dogs have developed sickness to that so now they are on baby food . yes baby food and guess what /, no sickness has developed and no blood in the feces and no vomiting and we had that all the time regardless of the brand of dog food we bought and frankly my husband and i were tired of the vet bills that the dog food was causing . Another bag of dog food will never come in my house again . I just dont trust the safety of them anymore .

Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,885,880 times
just be carefull with baby food, onion is highly poisenous to dogs and alot of baby food has onion powder as an ingredient.

i use baby food as a last resort only, since your going through the effort it might be a good idea for you guys to look up raw feeding (probably cheaper than jars of baby food in the long run too!)

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
just be carefull with baby food, onion is highly poisenous to dogs and alot of baby food has onion powder as an ingredient.

i use baby food as a last resort only, since your going through the effort it might be a good idea for you guys to look up raw feeding (probably cheaper than jars of baby food in the long run too!)
No way raw feeding is not for me and they are toy dogs would not be an option . I usually check the jars for baby food all I feed is the cereal and fruit so no need to worry about the onion . But thank you for your concern .

Old 01-02-2011, 02:37 PM

cerial and fruit is not an apropriate diet, they NEED meat protein! they do make chicken beef, and turkey baby foods without onion powder so you can use those (please be sure to keep a close eye on their teeth) just be sure to read the lables, but the cerial/fruit ones are not a complete diet, canines are carnivores (not obligate like cats, but they are made to eat meat) grains and fruits/veggies would only be eaten if in the stomach of their prey animal.

and toy dogs can ABSOLUTLY eat raw! i have 2 toy breeds and live with 3 more, our smallest is 3lbs and they all get raw at least once in a while.
if you dont want to feed raw for personal reasons thats fine, but dont think just because they are small they CANT eat raw, youd be amazed at how easily our 3lb chihuahuas little jaws power through chicken wings and backs, and turkey necks!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
cerial and fruit is not an apropriate diet, they NEED meat protein! they do make chicken beef, and turkey baby foods without onion powder so you can use those (please be sure to keep a close eye on their teeth) just be sure to read the lables, but the cerial/fruit ones are not a complete diet, canines are carnivores (not obligate like cats, but they are made to eat meat) grains and fruits/veggies would only be eaten if in the stomach of their prey animal.

and toy dogs can ABSOLUTLY eat raw! i have 2 toy breeds and live with 3 more, our smallest is 3lbs and they all get raw at least once in a while.
if you dont want to feed raw for personal reasons thats fine, but dont think just because they are small they CANT eat raw, youd be amazed at how easily our 3lb chihuahuas little jaws power through chicken wings and backs, and turkey necks!
Oh wow thank you I was told that toy breeds are not supposed to eat a raw diet , wow that is awesome to know and I will contact my vet about maybe trying that . thanks again .

Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM

123 posts, read 297,908 times
are you sure it is save to give dog chicken bones.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2011, 08:54 PM

it is ABSOLUTLY safe as long as the bones are Raw (NOT COOKED...never ever ever EVER give cooked poultry bones to dogs...this includes chicken, turkey, quail, and any other type of bird one might decide to eat) i dont like cooked bones of ANY kind, but cooked poulty bones are like eating glass shards. however when raw they are much softer, they dont shatter/shard like cooked bones do and are completly safe (as long as you dont have a gulper...if you do have a gulper and decide to go raw feed BIG peices (ie backs and whole carcass) so they are forced to chew and crunsh through them
and raw bones are great for the teeth!

im glad phonelady, ive heard it many times, "oh my goodness little dogs cant do raw" but the only difference between a chihuahua and a great dane is their size...if you adapt the raw diet to work for the smaller teeth/jaw size by using smaller peices (quail makes excelent raw feed for toy breeds!) they do excelent on it
alot of places offer pre-made raw too, its already ground in the proper nutritional balance you juse slice and feed it also comes in medalions too that you just take out of the bag...its cheaper to make your own, but alot more involved...
the premade is a great choice for someone wanting to do raw but doesnt have the time, or feel they are uncomfortable with the knowledge they have. and for small dogs the price isnt quite as prohibitive
once i get my own place and am raising alot of my own meats, i will be switching my dogs completly to raw (i dont have the storage space right now) my two are 5lbs and 9 1/2 lbs. my cat also gets raw (she will also eventually be switched full time) and shes about 4lbs. rabbit and quail as well as chicken wings and turkey necks are favorites. (they eat better than i do LOL!)

Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,428,528 times
OP, I successfully switched my dog from a prescription diet to a store-bought diet by researching ingredients. However, the good stuff is really not cheaper at all. It's worth it though. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,986,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
ever since the dog food poison scare I tried to go to Ori jen but now the dogs have developed sickness to that so now they are on baby food . yes baby food and guess what /, no sickness has developed and no blood in the feces and no vomiting and we had that all the time regardless of the brand of dog food we bought and frankly my husband and i were tired of the vet bills that the dog food was causing . Another bag of dog food will never come in my house again . I just dont trust the safety of them anymore .
At one time I made my own dogfood, turkey, brown rice and either green beans (frozen partially thawed) I had a diabetic pet on insulin and my other pet had cushings, I blamed the dog food mfg's for this. Anyway I mixed it all up with a food processor and you know it smelled just like canned dog food. It didn't last as long with both dogs weighed over 160 lbs.

I did switch to Orijen (expensive and I seen you tried it, sorry you had problems with it) I think years ago Orijen had some trouble with radiation? something like that but that was in Austrailia I believe.

You could try the meat, green beans and brown rice, or use brocolli, no veg's with lot of sugar content and a vitamin, fish oil sprinkled on food.

Also you could buy turkey or chicken cook it, slice it and put in a food dehyrator for treats, when dried keep in glass jar in fridge. The pieces will dry very small depending on how thick you slice it.

Hopes this helps some
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs