Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Mimosa,
Sure sonds like a puppuy mill. All 1 breed or many breeds? Did you see stud and mom? How many studs and females were there do you have a idea? If suspect a puppy mill call authorities get em shut down ASAP.
Please do. It's great that you're keeping the dog and you'll work with her and try to help her get better. This person already has your money though, so the only way to make an impact there is to report your concerns.

Dogs can be socialized later in life and they can build confidence, just allow her to do it in her own time and she'll be okay .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
She is a sweet dog, beautiful, and cuddly with me. Why she is like that with my husband is beyond me. she doesnt snap but she is definitely afraid of him. Won't come in the same room and he feels bad. She would never take food from him right now. Me she is fine with. follows me everywhere I go, sleeps with me like a log right nex t to me, is sleeping next to me on the couch now. Trouble is, she is upset over being alone, if I leave the room she has to come too. Does that get better? How does crate training work, she is 11 mos old and never seems to potty when I take her out except early a.m.
I go to work 3 1/2 hrs a day, the crate is just for that time?? We've been trying to block off the kitchen and when I got home she greeted me at the door. she had gotten out. Can't stand to be left, but doesnt touch anything, chew anything, or bark at all. She actually seems like a very sweet dog that is just confused to death. Probably never been in a house or a bed. I have been taking her on a harness leash and she is ok now, at first wouldnt move. Everything is new and I want so much for us to be a family and happy. I lost my last shih tzu in April to cancer and really needed this but she was much easier than this.
Yikes, 40 dogs in a barn - ?! - not good, how can they have any socialization. Crate training is a process, she's not going to be thrilled w/ it at first esp. if she lived her life in a crate in the puppy mill. Would feed her in it, she'll come to like it in time, give her special toys and a nice tasty treat when you go out if you leave her in it. Personally, I like the crates for traveling and also if ever they have to stay at the vet's, it's not quite so traumatic for them if they're familiar w/ it but I'd only leave her in it for an hour or 2 in the beginning. Also, when you leave the house, make it as quick goodbye, don't overdo the goodbye's or hello's or it can make her nervous, in fact it's a good idea to ignore them for the first 5-10 min. you come home, otherwise they can think (in their minds) that there's a reason they s/b nervous when you leave the house. If you still think she's nervous, you can leave the house a few times a day til she gets used to it and knows you'll always come back.

I would usually crate mine if I couldnt watch them when they were young puppies and I was trying to housetrain them. If I was home, I'd gate them in the room I was in, they're less likely to 'go' if you're right there - would also take mine out often in the beginning and praise them to the skies w/ a small piece of chicken, steak or cheese (not Milkbones) as Viralmd suggested. Otherwise they were pretty much uncrated if I was home.

She may do better w/ a wire crate (vs. a plastic one), in a wire crate, she won't feel as isolated as she might in a dark plastic one.

Re your hubby, she may have never had any contact w/ a man or what little contact she had wasnt good - you only just got her and it'll take time for them to form a relationship - have him feed her etc, she'll come around I'm sure but you both have to understand that you should let her come to you at her own pace, you don't want to overwhelm until she's comfortable.

Am sure all will go well (btw, I also prefer harnesses), would prob. get her microchipped if she's not yet, just should she get loose (you can just make an appt for the microchipping and shouldnt have to pay for an office visit) - best of luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,750,932 times
How lucky this little one is to be in a new home where people love and care for her! It will take some time, but she will come around. I have three rescue dogs, and it can take time for them to adjust to their new home, especially if they came from bad circumstances. Everyone has given great advice here- not much else I can offer except to tell you its a great thing she is with you, and keep up the patience and love.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:50 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
I would suggest, until she's less fearful, that your husband NOT walk her. All that's going to to do is terrify her even more. And she won't get done what she should be doing on her walks. YOU should be the one to walk her for now. Let her settle. She's probably afraid of your husband because a man did something very bad to her.

If she has separation anxiety, that's something you might want to tackle with the help of a trainer who uses only positive methods.

As for crate training, this site :Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

has the step by step directions.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,782 times
thank yu all. She seems better today, each day will be better. She even was in the same room as my husband but won't go to him. I got the crate and put her in and out most of the afternoon. She was ok after the first time, she barked and cried but I was out of the room. After that I stayed where she could see me and then a few mins later let her out and praised her and gave her a treat. I even saw her go in it herself andcome out. I work my own business 3 or so hours a morning so that's all she'll be alone in there. Today I decided to socialize her so I for the first time walked her on a leash and she was pretty good, but did no potty at all. Met the neighbors and was very friendly. Even to a man so maybe she is pulling out of this. I will make her be around as many people and dogs as I can. She needs to socialize.

To answer your questions, I saw her mother and dad but no other adults. There were about 20 dogs ranging in age from newborn to 9 wks to older. Most were a mess and outside in a barn and the younger were in the "nursery" which was also a barn but enclosed. I doubt any of this is illegal. She is feeding them etc and none looked ill but there were at least 40. I am quite upset that little dogs are living like this and then she is charging so muc h. I didnt find out she was living outdoors till 24 hrs later and now I just love her and would never let her go back there. What happened is she got pregnant in error and was too young so lost it. Now she had to be spayed and was no use to this woman anymore and she advertised an adult female. I am not sorry, unless the vet Thurs tells me something is wrong with her, then I will die.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM

It sounds like she's slowly coming around. That's GREAT!

With respect to training, have a look at my housetraining post. It's good for puppies and adult dogs. Follow the directions TO THE LETTER and you'll have a trained dog. Not immediately, but eventually. And remember, dogs rank their treats from so-so to 'over the top.' Dogs need 'over the top' treats for housetraining!

My post is in this thread://www.city-data.com/forum/5663078-post3.html

Old 10-20-2008, 08:47 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
Still call them in sure prolly not have a kennel license. 2 adults rest pups well female gets no rest inbetween litters and she only in this for the money this is a puppy mill. People that breed and care for their animals are not in it to get rich and way she had dog spayed said no good to her and being bred so young even if a mistake she not taking good care of them.
You saved a life and have chance to save more please get someone involved!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:30 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,782 times
She is the cutest dog I've ever seen and has the same cuddly personality. Problem is as soon as my husband comes home she changes and runs away from us both. She growels if he tries to go near her with a treat. It's awful. She also will do NOTHING outside. She only goes in the house. I am exhausted from watching her. I walk her all the time and take her out back and she smells and goes all over and comes in and pees or poops. This is really frustrating. We have a bi level, when she circles and I grab her I have nowhere to go other than scaring her and she does nothing. I am seeing the vet Thurs and see what he thinks. I just CANNOT give her back to that place. At least I saved one, even if it cost me alot. She is adorable but hard to deal with.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,040 times
It will take time, I know patience can go fast at times but she will do better in time.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM

Did you see my post on housetraining? Take her out for a LONG TIME. With treats. Eventually she will HAVE to go...See my post in this thread about housetraining.

You've really got to give her more time. She's obviously frightened of men. Your husband should NOT be pushing himself on her. Let HER come to HIM. He should NOT be walking her or approaching her. This is going to be a long process with her, but your patience will be rewarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs