Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

Ok, I was wondering something.

Normally I feed Jasper Purina Beneful Healthy Weight dog food. Sometimes though, not often,when I get to running really low on food, I'll mix in some leftovers from our meals into it ( Only things like chicken, rice, veggies, or some other kind of meat) until I can make it to the store.

And...ok, ok, I HAVE fed him a slice of leftover pizza before 'cause I was low on his food and the pizza was my supper...

Its never been done for more than a week ( and in the instance of the week-long period, my mother was in the hospital and I had classes to attend on top of my time at the hospital)

Has anyone else done this in emergency situations? If so, what did you feed your pet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I go out of my way to make certain my dog's food is here for them and I feed Canidae. I myself however have run out of something for dinner, makes the perfect excuse for DH to take me out

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM

Ive never heard of that brand of food here. Maybe Ive just overlooked it. Ive always felt bad each time I had to use my emergency method.

I always think I might be hurting him.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Canidae is a very good food but there many others that take time to research... can't get mostNatural foods at your local Petsmart/Petco but you may find Blue Buffalo, Halo, Wellness... at some locations.

Ask away any food questions you have. Many here are well versed on the topic!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:24 AM

lol I imagine they are.

He's a picky eater. So far Ive tried alot of different name-brand foods ( Iams, etc) and the only ones he'll eat are Kibbles and Bits or Purina Beneful...picky pooch...

Im not hurting him if I just give him chicken (cooked) or some sort of meat when Im low on food for him, am I? Does rice hurt dogs?

He's perfectly healthy and all...but I just want whats best for him. I'll look into the brands you've mentioned, Trees.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,080 times
Chicken, bland boiled with a little garlic, good to supp. Brown rice is good to put with chick. carrots raw and cooked along with other veggies could be beneficial to some doggies.

just have to reearch a bit. i have a few books that I learned so much from and It Really helped me out!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,924 times
I have 2 dogs, a 3 yr old boxer and my little rescue dog, a terrier. I was feeding them Purina One, thinking it was one of the best for my babies. My boxer started getting hives, or bumps on his body and scratching, scratching, scratching, chewing his feet, etc. The vet said he was allergic to something in the food (and most commercial dog food has something in it that he can't tolerate). In the meantime, we also found out he's allergic to chicken!! Well, to make a long story short, I was advised to check into this food. I did and they've been on it for 3 months now. No scratching, no bumps. If anyone has an allergy problem, please check into this dog food - I will always keep my kids on it. Go to:
[URL="http://www.flintriver.com"]www.flintriver.com[/URL] The best part is, they deliver it right to your door, no delivery fee.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
lol I imagine they are.

He's a picky eater. So far Ive tried alot of different name-brand foods ( Iams, etc) and the only ones he'll eat are Kibbles and Bits or Purina Beneful...picky pooch...

Im not hurting him if I just give him chicken (cooked) or some sort of meat when Im low on food for him, am I? Does rice hurt dogs?

He's perfectly healthy and all...but I just want whats best for him. I'll look into the brands you've mentioned, Trees.
No, it doesn't hurt them. You might need some nutritional supplements if you feed it to him for an extended period, say over one week. We've been feeding our dogs homemade food for several years and haven't seen any ill effects. Our basic recipe is pretty much what need4Trees listed (I'm guessing we have the same books).

Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Feeding him people food [chicked/beef with rice & veggies] IS healthier for him than dog food. Esp Beneful which has dyes & other additives that are known the cause health problems!

Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM

138 posts, read 618,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Feeding him people food [chicked/beef with rice & veggies] IS healthier for him than dog food. Esp Beneful which has dyes & other additives that are known the cause health problems!
I was going to say the same thing. The ingredients in the food you are feeding now is, sad to say, much less healthier for your dog then the chicken and veggies you give him when you run out of the kibble. Look at the ingredients in the Beneful food you are feeding and then see what is really in the by-product that is in there. I was just looking and you don't have a good source of meat until the 7th ingredient...that's not good. Anyway, to answer your question, no, you are not hurting your dog by feeding him the chicken and veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs