Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times

Advertisements

I wanted to put it in a new thread because this relates to dog psychology..

So after my short-lived nightmare with a martingale collar I went back to the flat buckle collar. I took my dog for a walk and brought treats and every so often worked on sit-stay with her outside, which she loves to do inside. It seemed to reset her! She didn't pull on the leash as much - I got around 1/4 of walk with a loose leash, and today even more. When she pulled I called her back and did sit-stay with treats.

Why do you think this works? Does it remind her that I am the keeper of good food, and if she behaves she gets it?

This does not work the 100 feet or so back to the apartment, nothing does...yet.

I'm hesitant to use the gentle leader because I've been reading that headstrong dogs (literally) can snap their neck. I'd rather work on the root of the problem for now. Though am not adverse to that harness that pulls from the front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:11 AM

178 posts, read 574,768 times
That's what I do with my puller...it basically works by keeping the dog's focus on you, not on the great outdoors. Some other tricks: when relaxing at home, say his name. If he turns his head or, better yet, comes to you, give him a treat (and click, if you clicker train). do that throughout the day. When he gets good at that, have a family member/friend work with you -- you can sit in a circle and later, in separate rooms, each with a pile of treats. Take turns calling his name and rewarding him when he comes...soon he'll be turning to you every time you say his name, which is of course helpful on walks. You can also do the "make like a tree" trick when walking. When he pulls, you stop and just stand there. Eventually, he's going to turn around to see what the heck's going on...again, click and treat him when he does that. Finally, when he starts pulling in the last 100 feet, try immediately turning around and walking in the opposite direction. Once he turns and starts walking your way, treat him and turn around again toward home. It may take the better part of an afternoon, but eventually he's going to learn that he has to pay attention to you and not home.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
I'm trying to avoid the flexileash for the most part since yesterday's drama with my dog.

I took her out on the regular leash today and she pulled but it wasn't horrible. Kept plying her with cheese. There were a lot of distractions, including my neighbors 2 cats.

We're going to get some sort of harness in the near future.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,912,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post

Why do you think this works? Does it remind her that I am the keeper of good food, and if she behaves she gets it?

This does not work the 100 feet or so back to the apartment, nothing does...yet.

I'm hesitant to use the gentle leader because I've been reading that headstrong dogs (literally) can snap their neck. I'd rather work on the root of the problem for now. Though am not adverse to that harness that pulls from the front.
What you are doing works because you are focusing on redirecting her behavior, not punishing her for what she's doing wrong. When you ignore behavior you don't want and redirect the dog to perform in a way you DO want, you are establishing your control and leadership in a kind and positive way. Keep up what you're doing and you'll have a well-behaved dog that won't be afraid of you.

As for Gentle Leaders, they work well on some dogs, but like any type of physical restraint system, they can cause problems too. What you are doing seems to be working. You'll need to be consistent and keep up the training. Even the best trained dogs need constant refreshers.

Nice job!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,528,829 times
If looking into halters may want to look into them with wide breast collars as easier on them. I use regular nylon halters with 1 inch breast strap now also but looking for some good harness leather halters made with breast strap of about 2 - 2 1/2 inches but amish made here are like $60.00 a piece and I need a few though.With these halters you have a bit more control.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,968,785 times
Thanks guys! This morning she was so stubborn - lots of squirrels around, and a cat. But obedience class starts tonight :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs