Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,193 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else. DENY-DENY-DENY. You are not lying...you really do not know. I don't see any harm in just simply sticking with what you know!

It's too hard to tell the difference between a boxer mix and a pit mix. Among other mixes. Unfortunately, this BSL is too subjective when it comes to identifying physical traits!

Please keep us informed. I agree, don't waste your time or money on a DNA test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 12:22 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
This whole BSL thing aggravates me. How in the world in todays society and a country like America can someone come in, take our friendly, loving pets and kill them? Over my dead body will anyone ever come into my home and take any of my dogs! This is hard to comprehend! I would never live anywhere near any of those cities and if I did when this horrific law was passed I would put up some heck of a fight, then move!

Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,781 times
awesome dog, very cute. just going by the look there is definitely some kind of terrier/pit mix in there, mainly beacuase of the way the head looks. the body could be anything. but the great thing about mutts, is that there MUTTS. they could be anything, you could definitely get away with saying its some kind of lab great dane mix, or boxer or any dog with a boxy head. if you live in an area with BSL lie but if you dont and your dogs is well adjusted flaunt her pitbullness and show the world pits are a great breed of dog

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,127 times
this is definately pit.
we just adopted a dog from petsmart agency she is black and a spitting image of your dog. she is pit/lab mix.
and you can see it in the face/body.
wow looks just like Jannie. we got her yesterday. How are their temperaments, we have a 3 & 1/2 year old and 7 year old a little nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebulon View Post
Hi,

I would like to ask for some advice. My husband and I adopted a 1 year old puppy
last week. She was posted on Craigslist as a Lab. When we saw her we knew she wasn't
purebred, but we didn't know what she is mixed with. Her owners said they adopted
her from another person, and didn't mention anything about pit bull. They didn't
seem to know what her mix is.

Since then, several people have commented that her face resembles a pit bull. That
doesn't bother me, but it could be a problem since we recently moved to Denver.
Before this week, I didn't know much about pit bulls, or the ban, but I've
been searching the web and have learned that she could be taken and killed if she
looks like one. I have seen a lot of variety in the photos of pit bulls I've
found, and some seem very stocky with the square head and wide stance, while others
are taller and leaner like her.

I have been anxious and worried since I heard that she may be a pit bull mix. She
is a sweetie and we have fallen in love with her. It breaks my heart to think I
may have to give her up, but the thought of having her taken and killed is even
worse.

I am wondering how closely a dog needs to resemble a pit bull for the city to take
it. I think she looks mostly lab, but I am not sure if I can even look at her objectively
right now. I have posted some photos of her. Would you take a look and tell me what
you think?

Flickr: zebulonia's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/31965047@N03/?saved=1 - broken link)

Thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I licensed her over the web, so they didn't ask. A vet tech told me she might be part Shar-Pei because of the black spots on her tongue, so I put that down for the second breed.

I think I will get the DNA test. Someone at a pit bull rescue here in CO emailed me that I can have her evaluated by someone with the city, and if they say she is "too much" pit bull, they will let me take her out and relocate her. If not, they will give me a paper stating that. I am going to call them and confirm this though!

Wonder if anyone else knows if that information is accurate?
Don't get the DNA test. They are not accurate at all. We have done tests of the DNA tests knowing what the breed of a dog was and oddly enough the tests don't come back the same. So, that was several hundred dollars down the drain. Just like others have said, DNA tests do not hold up in court so they are about as novelty as those tests you get to find out what gender your child is before they can be detected by ultrasound. I do not think you have anything to worry about - your dog does not look like it fits the pitbull type to a T. I would suggest that you enroll in Obedience Training from an www.apdt.com trainer and make sure you finish the Canine Good Citizen Certification. A well behaved dog will not have attention drawn to itself as much as an untrained one. It is a shame that a breed is being attacked like this because there are stupid people out there that have no business being around dogs much less breeding them.

It is good that you are being precautious about this but I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:

I think I will get the DNA test. Someone at a pit bull rescue here in CO emailed me that I can have her evaluated by someone with the city, and if they say she is "too much" pit bull, they will let me take her out and relocate her. If not, they will give me a paper stating that. I am going to call them and confirm this though!

DON'T. CALL. THE. CITY. Unless you want to lose your dog. DON'T bring any unwanted attention to your dog. JUST. DON'T.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
The OP started this thread in October of 2008 and only posted twice. Old thread. They probably don't need any more advice.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
The OP started this thread in October of 2008 and only posted twice. Old thread. They probably don't need any more advice.
I hate when that happens... hate it more when I don't catch it and post.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I hate when that happens... hate it more when I don't catch it and post.
Me too! Oops - should look at the dates more closely from now on!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Me too! Oops - should look at the dates more closely from now on!
It's still good to get the advice out there in case someone else may need it!

I agree with the others...deny deny deny and do not call attention to yourself or your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs