Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,314,017 times

Advertisements

After reading the post on abandonment I had to post this. One of my clients read this where I had posted it somewhere. She called me and asked me what shelter I supported. Told her and she wrote out a nice check.

I was born today. One of 10. My Daddy is very famous. I have lots of half brothers and sisters. My Mother is very famous. Since she got famous, she has only had puppies. No more loving hands, no more fun trips... just puppies. She is always sad when they leave her.

I left home today. I didn't want to go, so I hid behind my mama and my 3 litter mates that were left. I didn't like you. But one day they said I would be famous. I wonder, is famous the same as fun and good times? So you picked me up and carried me away, even though you were concerned about me hiding from you. I don't think you like me.

My new home is far away. I am scared and afraid. My heart says BE BRAVE. My ancestors were. Did they go to good homes like mine? I'm hungry because I can't eat too much because it will be bad for my bones. I can't bite and snap when the children are mean to me. I just run and play and pretend I am in a big green field with butterflies and robins and frogs.

I can't understand why they kick me. I am quiet, but the man hits and says loud things. The lady doesn't feed me good things like I had with my mother. She just throws dry food on the ground, then goes away before I can get too close for touching and petting. Sometimes my food smells bad but I eat it anyway.

Today I had 10 puppies. They are so wonderful and warm. Am I famous now? I wish I could play with them, but they are so tiny. I am so young and playful that it is hard to lay here in this hole under the house nursing my puppies. They are crying now. I am so hungry. I scratch and worry my fur. I wish someone would throw me some food. I am also very thirsty. I now have 8. 2 got cold during the night and I couldn't make them warm again. They are gone. We are all very weak. Maybe if I take them out on the porch, we can get some food.

Today they took us away. It was too much trouble to feed us and someone came to take us away. Someone grabbed my puppies, they were crying and whimpering. We were put in a truck with boxes in it. Are my babies famous now? I hope so, because I miss them. They are gone.

The place smelled of urine, fear and sickness. Why was I here? I was beautiful, like my ancestors. Now I am hungry, dirty, in pain and unwanted. Maybe the worst is unwanted. No one came though I tried to be good.

Today someone came. They put a rope around my neck and led me to a room that was very clean and had a shiny table. They put me on the table. Someone hugged me. It felt so good!! Then I felt tired and laid over the last one who cared.
I AM FAMOUS NOW. Today someone cared.

Author Unknown
Don’t Breed or Buy While Homeless Pets Die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM

603 posts, read 1,948,654 times
These type of things make me so sad I work at a shelter and some days i just want to quit.Its just so heartbreaking.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,359 times
DogCrazy...we need sound people helping our pets in the shelters. We all have to focus on each victory rather than focusing on the whole. Small steps...make big differences. We all need to educate one person at a time and believe we'll have a domino effect. I'm having a strong day today...but I do have my low days too. When you need encouragement...come here. There are plenty of people who are great cheerleaders and have wonderful wisdom that they can share.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:26 PM

603 posts, read 1,948,654 times
Im the same way.One day i feel fine then one day i just dont want to do it anymore because i feel horrible how all these animals in my shelter alone sit in a cage because no one wants them.How many have to die simply for that reason.If i could i would take them ALLLLL.I love everyone of them.Even the ones that have their issues,or the handicapped ones.And most of the people who come in looking for pets are downright dirtbags.But i know all of you on here understand and can always chat about these things.Quite frankly,the only people who understand are the ones who help these animals.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:39 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
I know dogcrazy, I did it for 12 years in New Jersey in a dangerous area. I think back at how I risked my life. It never occurred to me then. I had a one track mind....get the dog! Nothing would or could stand in my way. Me and my rescue friend even paid a drug dealer once to capture an old street dog named Bullet that had been shot at and hit by a car. We took him to New York Animal Medical Center in Manhattan to save him but it was too late. We had to have him put down. It was horrible what I saw come into the kill shelter. I saved sooo many but soooo many I could not. Our rescue group did what they could but I always felt it was never enough. I had to step away. Every night I went to bed with a broken heart and terrible memories of the animal abuse I had seen that day or that week. All the ones sitting in the kill shelter that never would or did get out! I used to look at the aggressive ones who did not even have a chance. They were not agressive in my eyes, they were driven crazy by some subhuman species called man! It is such a sad world for sooo many animals today. I thought when I moved here to this state I could take a breather, but it is right in my face here and 1000 times worse. There is a dirty sweet un-neutered male pitbull that comes by my house usually on the weekend. He has a long choker chain hanging around his neck. I give him water and some food but he will not eat. I can hold onto him and call animal control but I know if I do he will be walked to the gas chamber. How sad is that? I never forget to include him in my prayers along with all the others I see suffering at the end of a chain, forgotten about.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,462 times
Smile man oh man...

My head wants to work in animal control because I love animals(especially dogs) so much. Ask my husband and kids... they swear I am the next crazy dog lady I don't know if my heart could take it. I applaud all of you who DO it daily.
The thought of watching a once(perhaps) beloved pet put to sleep... or perhaps having to deliver that injection myself? I just don't know if I could do that and not have it affect me in such a deep way that it would interfere with my emotional well-being.
Maybe that's just me being selfish.
My dream is having acres of land and kennels and on-call vets and resources to help these animals...rehab them and get them great forever homes...and if they don't they could live out their lives with us!!!
Meanwhile I will go hug my 4 furbeasts and remind them how lucky they are~

Old 11-16-2008, 07:46 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,537,359 times
Everyone needs to remember that when it comes to a dog or cat starving to death, being abused, hit by a car or falling prey to another animal...it's better for that animal to go to a shelter (even a kill shelter). Yes, the pet may never get adopted and may have to be put to sleep. But given the other terrible options, it is the most humane thing to do (IMO). That's what has to keep our wonderful workers going that work in the shelters. At least they know they prevented any more ill harm to an animal and sent that soul on a peaceful journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs