Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

Same! My dog is very aggresive with other dogs. I dont know what to do but they say the best way to socialize your dog is to have them around other dogss as much as possible. So after i read that i thought how about i take her to a doggy day camp over at petsmart. The next day i drop her off at 10:30 am and at approximatly 1:45 pm a petsmart worker called and said that she was in TIMEOUT because she was biting the other dogs! I was shocked because i stayed with her for 10 min watching how she was acting, but i guess you cant always predict the future. But i too am also taking a training group to help socialize her. But i think it sounds like your dog prefers human company better than canine company, and thats not a bad thing but at the same time its not a good thing so i think you should continue with training classes and hopefully it will get better in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Interesting stories, and I can add one more.
I adopted Elsa, a seven year old German Shepherd, from our local shelter.
This was about five years ago.
The day I adopted her, I felt so bad because she looked so sad, I decided to also adopt another Shepherd to keep her company during the day while I worked.
I had a friend along with me to help with the two dogs.
The plan was, I would keep the older one in the front seat, and my friend would sit in the back with the younger Shepherd.
As soon as I put the truck in drive, all hell broke loose.
The older one in the front seat leaped into the back, and grabbed the younger one by the neck.
We were able to separate them for the remainder of the trip home.
Once home, I felt I had better keep them separated for a little while.
I put the younger one out on the rear deck, and kept the older one in the house.
That lasted a total of one minute.
The older dog busted through the screen to get at the younger one.
I kept them separated for the rest of the night, and decided one had to go back to the shelter in the morning.
As aggressive as she was, I opted to keep the older one because at her age, adopting may never happen again.
The younger one would be adopted quickly.
Later on that morning after I returned home from the shelter, I decided I would take Elsa for a walk in the park.
I had her collar on, and was reaching for her leash when she bolted out the half open door leading to the yard.
She spotted a small toy poodle being walked on the sidewalk.
Quicker than you could say it, she had that poodle in her mouth.
Fortunately by my actions,and those of the poodle's owner, we were able to get Elsa to drop the dog.
A trip to the emergency clinic showed no physical damage, but the poodle was traumatized by the experience.
The vet bill was pretty expensive.
At this point I had thought of returning Elsa to the shelter, but once again felt no one else would adopt her.
I decided she would never be off leash for one second when outside of the house, or fenced in back yard.
Elsa never wanted to play with other dogs.
Her main intention was to kill them.
I didn't know much about her past (only what the shelter had on her) and there was some abuse involved in her life.
Elsa was the driving force behind my creation of the center for leash law enforcement.
Her aggressive nature told me I had better inform as many as I could as to the danger of a seemingly innocent dog coming in contact with an aggressive dog like Elsa.
We all know the type, people walking a small dog off leash thinking their dog is the best natured dog on the planet.
This may be so, but there are many on leash like Elsa that would tear them apart if they approached.
Any way, Elsa was kept on leash in public, and lived another three years with me.
I finally had to put her down because of her hips.
I still miss her, and think of her every day.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs