Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,505 times

Advertisements

I am moving and need help finding a home for my pug, any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times
Can you provide some more details please?

How old is the pug, why isn't it possible to take your dog with you, what approaches to finding a new home have you already tried...

Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 PM

He is 3 and the place we are moving to does not accept pets. We had no choice to move there. Im trying to sell him. I dont want to give him to a shelter b/c they might put him down.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Why try to sell him when you could simply give him away to a nice home?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Well, we have no money to move and that would help us keep the place we put a deposit on. I have a 4 month old and he is a little moer important right now. I love this dog very much and i hate getting rid of him. I have cried for days

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1rly01 View Post
He is 3 and the place we are moving to does not accept pets. We had no choice to move there. Im trying to sell him. I dont want to give him to a shelter b/c they might put him down.
So you're moving to a place that accepts no pets at all? Was there no rental available that accepts pets? Is your timeline long enough that you can continue to search for a different rental? Pugs are not problematic dogs, most anywhere accepts them unless you looked at a place with a flat "no dogs" policy.

I would first and foremost find a place that will accept your small dog. It might be a longer, tougher search, but you should be able to find something.

Selling him is not realistic. We are at epidemic levels with the amount of homeless dogs in the US right now due to all the housing upheaval happening. Should you be so fortunate to find a good home for your pug, the last thing you want to do is ask for a dollar from those people, they are doing you the favor.

The Humane Society has a campaign called "Pets For Life" with some very informative articles that may help you:

The first is one outlining how to find pet-friendly rentals:

Renting With Pets: The Online Resource for Rental Managers and Pet Owners | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/renting_with_pets_the_online_resource_for_rental_m anagers_and_pet_owners/ - broken link)

The second is how to find a responsible home for your pet:

Guidelines for Finding a Responsible Home for a Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/guidelines_for_finding_a_responsible_home_for_a_pe t.html - broken link)

I hope it all works out .

Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Not going to even start....yes I will.I'll speak my mind then answer the original question.
The dog was there first, then kid comes along so the dog gets sold so that its owner can move away and leave it with a potential stranger. Dog is the owner's best friend before kid, but when kid comes along, the best friend is sold.

That, IMHO is a rotten thing for somebody to do. At least find him a home without taking something for your own benefit.

-Steps off soapbox-

Anyway, try asking friends or family. Or taking out an add in the newspaper. Worse comes to worse, Im assuming he's a pure pug. If you put him into a shelter Im sure somebody will come along and love him enough to take him home.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Well, we have no money to move and that would help us keep the place we put a deposit on. I have a 4 month old and he is a little moer important right now. I love this dog very much and i hate getting rid of him. I have cried for days
I'm going to be blunt here - it doesn't have to be an either-or between your dog and your baby. You can take care of them both. Banishing one (your dog) doesn't raise the status of the other (your baby). Please don't consider getting rid of your dog to be "for the sake of" your child, it really isn't.

Your best bet might be to find a reputable pug rescue group. Normally, the rescue group would love for you to help in the financial costs of placing your pug, but considering the dire circumstances you've painted, I would hope you can find one in your area who will just take the pug as soon as possible for you.

Using the dog in exchange for rent money is just out of the question in my book. You will risk exposing your pug to the most unsavory type of people if you put your dog "up for sale". Given the current climate for dogs in need, the best thing would be getting him/her into a rescue.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,703 times
Quote:
I'm sorry about your situation but I can't even imagine "getting rid" of a pet for any reason. When we adopt a pet it should be for life, not just when things are convenient. To me pets are members of the family that are completely irreplaceable, in my book it would be like giving away a child.

I'm sure you can find someone to adopt it and give it a good decent home but PLEASE don't try to sell it. A dog is NOT a used car !!!!!!!!!!! It's a living breathing creature that shouldn't be sold for personal gain, it's just so unfair to animals when people ..........I better just my mouth.

Just my 2 cents.........Good Luck.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-21-2008 at 12:37 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 04:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
No offense but we moved to a new town because NO WHERE else would allow us (me, hubby, my 10 year old son) AND my fur baby) in the place were living.

I looked and looked for 3 months when I knew we'd be finishing our lease. Our #1 priority became 'must be pet friendly' then 'must have a good school'. We finally moved to a complex 20 minutes from our old apartment (and apartments here are very, very rare!). We also have to pay $50 extra a month for the dog.

We aren't wealthy people. I got my dog when I was unemployed last year, I've only worked 5 months, and I am unemployed again. I cannot imagine giving up my dog 'because'......

I see this too many times...

That's why we waited till our son was older to get a dog AND never had one in 16 years of being married till last year.

Sorry to lecture you but there are too many dogs on 'giveaway' sites already.

I wish I was working and had a house, because I would adopt another one (pointer lab) like my dog ASAP to save a life.

I hope this thread gives people 'who think they want a dog to grow up with little Junior' a dose of reality.

Pets are not toys!!! They are not bank notes!!!

Sorry OP, no sympathy here. No, wait, I do have some, for your dog...
Seriously, I don't mean to be cold...but this is just something that burns me up...!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs